What's new

Major Bridge in Baltimore Collapses After Being Struck by Cargo Ship

scooter2374

walk home clown
Member Number
Loc
Red Bank, NJ
A Singapore-flagged vessel struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge early Tuesday. Part of the span has collapsed, and an emergency response is underway, the authorities said, with people possibly in the water.

A major bridge in Baltimore collapsed after being struck by a cargo ship early Tuesday, setting off an emergency response, the Coast Guard and the local authorities said.

It was not immediately clear how many people were on the span, the Francis Scott Key Bridge, when the cargo ship made impact, or what happened to them. The bridge is part of Interstate 695, an outer crossing of Baltimore Harbor.

Detective Niki Fennoy of the Baltimore Police said that the department had been notified of “a partial bridge collapse with possible workers in the water.” She said she had no additional information.
Here’s what else to know:
  • Johnny Olszewski Jr., the Baltimore County executive, said on X that an emergency response was underway. Mayor Brandon M. Scott of Baltimore said on the platform that he was “en route to the incident at the Key Bridge.”
  • The ship that hit the bridge is a 948-foot-long cargo vessel called Dali, said Matthew West, a spokesman for Coast Guard in Baltimore. The owners of the Singapore-flagged ship said it collided with a pillar of the bridge around 1:30 a.m. All crew members, including two pilots on board, have been accounted for and there were no injuries on the ship, the owners said.
  • The Dali left Baltimore at 1 a.m. and was bound for Colombo, Sri Lanka, according to MarineTraffic, a maritime data platform.
  • The bridge — named after Francis Scott Key, the author of the American national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner” — opened in 1977.

keybridge-600x324.jpg

Evidently the ship lost power and was unable to navigate.
It looks more like alarms went off waking somebody up or at least getting their attention, then the ships lights came on and it started rolling coal.
If it lost power anchors would have been dropped immediately knowing they were that close to a bridge.
Edit: It looks like the ships lights cycle on/off on a timer or something

We drove across that bridge last year. It was long as hell, for a bridge, can’t imagine falling off of it.

Bridge/highway closed and the port will be for quite some time.

Coincidence?

I wouldn't doubt that there are already designs for a new bridge out there. I believe the height of that one was a limiting factor into the harbor. The Chesapeake Bay bridge is higher.

I wouldn't doubt that there are already designs for a new bridge out there. I believe the height of that one was a limiting factor into the harbor. The Chesapeake Bay bridge is higher.
I would doubt it.

Top Back Refresh