What's new

Major Bridge in Baltimore Collapses After Being Struck by Cargo Ship

If they start today, it’s going to take years to get a new bridge built and open.
They’ll fire up the money printers and put some insane completion bonus on it and the private guys will get it done asap. The 35 bridge in Minneapolis got built in about a year.

This one will take a bit longer but they will hammer it out .

Typically, the harbor uses pilots and tugs for large ships entering and exiting the port. Captains take over once out in the channel. This is going to majorly screw traffic and import/export.

There's a ton of ships bound for Baltimore that are just sitting near Annapolis right now.

shps.JPG

Yeah, like up here we have Sanzari, J. Creamer etc. They take guys off crews/projects and bill the .gov quadruple what the normal would be.

Welp.... this unlocked a new way of which I'd prefer not to die.... driving on a bridge as it falls into the water.

I feel terrible for all those that lost their lives this morning on that bridge, that had to be un-imaginable on how scary that shit had to be!

There's a ton of ships bound for Baltimore that are just sitting near Annapolis right now.

shps.JPG

That is where they stage typically, outtside the bay bridge. Harbor pilots pick up there.

Imagine having a 30 minute commute, and waking up this morning to find out you now have a 1.5 hour commute for the next X years
Happen to me a long time ago, Over 20.
A giant sink hole opened up on rt 33 in Nazareth pa. On a Sunday evening.
Closed down the road for over year.
That Monday morning, traffic was backed up 10 miles.

They’ll fire up the money printers and put some insane completion bonus on it and the private guys will get it done asap. The 35 bridge in Minneapolis got built in about a year.

This one will take a bit longer but they will hammer it out .

My former employer built that new bridge. In fact, the division manager that I worked for was the lead on it. There were insane early completion bonuses on it and in turn, insane amounts of money being spent to hit them

I'd bet there were already salvage crews en route within hours of that thing going down last night. I bet they'll have the main channel opened back up in under a week. Way too much money riding on keeping that port moving.

I don't know shit about boats but in that last linked vid, obviously the footage is sped up, but look how big the splash/impact was. Seems like the thing was hauling ass to make that big a splash? She's got a 6'min-70'max Draught and that splash was over the deck (@ 0:44 seconds)

Holy fuck. I had to find better pictures of the intact bridge to udnerstand what I was seeing.

1711459933470.png

He hit that first double column pier on the main span almost dead-on. The whole fucking pier is laying across the bow of the ship. :eek:

It doesn't look like it did any significant damage below the waterline, which is probably a miracle in itself. If that thing were to have sunk there, it would be a bigger salvage mess than the entire bridge.

Wow that's totally f'd, hope the don't try to source all the parts from China like they did with the bay Bridge here. Ended up being a big turd that cost 4x then building it within.

Hope there wasn't that many people on the bridge late at night.

Top Back Refresh