What's new

Loader tech in chit chat

Yeah, we’re all relieved. Now I have a new determination to reduce fuel load on our place. That’s mostly what I was doing last time. Dropping and bucking dead trees, and thinning out the brush.

yup us too.

Yes. That’s the “blower flap” or emergency air shut off. Did that fix it?

Yes. That’s the “blower flap” or emergency air shut off. Did that fix it?

I can’t get back up there to look at it until November 2nd. I suppose a good rain before then could open it earlier, continued dry conditions could extend it too. They’re probably worried about the people who will have a fire no matter what you tell them.

Other suggestions I’ve had.

Stuck injector plunger.
Bent push rod.
Fuel supply restricted.

stuck injectors equal runaways or stuck throttle on detroits
pull the fuel return and let it piss into a bucket, it should be at least a good 5/16" stream coming outta there
pull the valve cover and check valve lash, sometimes they get tight and hold valves open, if any are way loose look at the pushrods, if one's bent check for water ingress through the exhaust

When I changed the fuel filters both were full, and fuel filled the housing above them too.

doesn't tell you volume
if it isn't getting enough to be returning a good solid stream you'll of course have low rail pressure (think of it like injection pump case pressure) and without sufficient rail pressure your injector pumping elements will not fill with fuel quickly enough, acting like you aren't actually giving it WOT, and also delaying the injection event as there may be a bubble of air in there that can compress. This severe injection retard makes for white smoke.

I got a diverter valve, and looked into where it will need to go. I know which hoses need to go where, I need to mount it and take measurements for hoses to be made. I have an equipment dealer service manager friend saying to make hoses all the way out. Mine has the clamp blocks like in the top picture, but no tubes. The hoses hanging down in that picture are for forklift side shift, best I can tell. I would need separate hoses with elbow fittings to make the same routing. Then what? Wire the hose to the clamp blocks to keep it secure? The clamp block corners would dig into the hose eventually. I posed the same questions to him, no response yet. I like the cleanness and secure, durable fastening of the tubing. I know it is not as straight forward to accomplish though. I plan on using a momentary foot switch, and then the dump lever will clamp and unclamp the logs. Pushing forward to clamp.

F188F8E4-F23C-4F65-AF8A-0D872DC80999.jpeg

506DD770-1BA8-4D24-8EE3-7D3F6EFBCE4E.jpeg

00D20A4C-B0B1-47E1-8497-175CC1CE85E5.jpeg

929A0312-DDE0-4857-9CEB-FC602F1C3F43.jpeg

AC4A7909-C2DA-4AA6-A74B-3214105FB1FB.jpeg

I started the engine and checked for heat at the exhaust manifold. Three cylinders were getting too hot to touch, and I could still hold my hand against the fourth. It was cold. The cylinder closest to the bell housing. Might get the valve cover off today.

Last edited:
Really sucks to people's shit burned up like that. Sounds like that one is going to be the problem. Hopefully just a valve adjustment.

Really sucks to people's shit burned up like that.

I’ve been driving back and forth through it, pictures don’t do it justice. Somebody guessed that over 70 homes burned down on the 4.5 mile stretch, some on side roads and out of site. Over 500 homes burned down in this fire. Some people are already hauling away the debris and not waiting for FEMA. I saw a tow truck pulling up a burned up car.

I’ve been driving back and forth through it, pictures don’t do it justice. Somebody guessed that over 70 homes burned down on the 4.5 mile stretch, some on side roads and out of site. Over 500 homes burned down in this fire. Some people are already hauling away the debris and not waiting for FEMA. I saw a tow truck pulling up a burned up car.

Stay safe man. Would suck worse to be burned up your own self.

Another picture of a burned up loader surfaced. This one with log forks.

There is one just like that at huntington lake. I saw it when we were up closing up. The woodlot where it 'was' was pretty impressive, everytime we were up this summer we'd go check out how much wood they had there.... 74 cabins at the lake lost. We escaped it. Super grateful.

I got the second cylinder apart, it’s in better condition.

The sealing surface on the gland doesn’t need machining, it looks good enough. The nut is missing the nylon too.

CCE9E8B0-D1A0-48A7-B09A-3D9D13518122.jpeg

F6ABB7A0-1DC6-40F6-8A61-097938993155.jpeg

Last edited:
nice 4202
got a 4203 and I should have bought it a decade earlier
the best thing about those ones is that you don't need annulars, they got the travel to use the twist drills you already got

ETA: use the damn safety chain
lose the power and the magnet quits well before the motor loses momentum, takes the fuck off on you even if you're working on something flat, never mind vertical or overhead

Last edited:
Safety chain???

little 3/16" chain with a grab hook on one end
loop it around whatever you're working on and through the bottom handle

within reason of course,
if you're working on something like the inside of the bucket, just be aware of which side of the drill you got the feed handle installed on so it doesn't crush your hand if it decides to start breakdancing

[486 said:
;n190058]

little 3/16" chain with a grab hook on one end
loop it around whatever you're working on and through the bottom handle

within reason of course,
if you're working on something like the inside of the bucket, just be aware of which side of the drill you got the feed handle installed on so it doesn't crush your hand if it decides to start breakdancing

Gotcha.

[486 said:
;n189996]
ETA: use the damn safety chain
lose the power and the magnet quits well before the motor loses momentum, takes the fuck off on you even if you're working on something flat, never mind vertical or overhead

Our mag drills some ancient thing where the motor power switch and the magnet switch are identical, side by side, and poorly labeled. Just about every time we use it at least once we'll get everything lined up and ready to go and then hit the wrong switch and dump the 100lb bastard. Don't know why I never thought of tying it up but thanks for the idea

Top Back Refresh