What's new

Loader tech in chit chat

I have not seen a full sized track loader (not a skid steer) in years.

This is what I preferred at the time I purchased my loader, there was one up north in better condition than this one. My wife didn’t want to spend the extra money, even though I told her we’d probably spend more on the one we got in the long run. It was a 175C with 4 in 1 bucket. Same year as my loader, 1977.

1BC53826-7CB0-41FC-95C9-0A7F1D2B0D3D.jpeg

Well the wife is always right. Even when she is wrong, she is right. Track loader would be better and stronger for tree removal, diggin stumps out and cutting new roads through the forest but the downside is you would tear up the ground everywhere you go. You could use a lighter track loader that wont shred the ground as much but you would be looking at something much smaller. We had a cat 951 which is about the size of that iH you posted and it was lighter than our 977s but we still had to go back and grade it all out when we were done. Most forestry equipment is wheeled for that reason, skidders and forwarders all rubber tired. If you have a nice forested area you are just trying to clean up, a wheel loader is a better option. You can use it to clear snow/trees/debris from a paved road without destroying everything.

We almost got the two log forks cylinders loose yesterday, one pin wouldn’t budge. I squirted penetrating oil into it before we left, maybe that’ll help. If not, I’ll be looking at using a hydraulic jack to push it through. If I can’t get it apart, I’ll have to replace the seals in place.

Looks like that was a motherfucker to get apart. :eek:

The piston seals weren’t tight, I could move it by hand. It took a few cranks of the come along to get the end cap off, then it bounced back like you see in the pics. It took three times letting the compressor fully charge for the impact to loosen that big nut. Takes a 2-3/4” socket.

We’ve been using it instead of working on it. We use it to load the trailer, trying to keep lifting to a minimum. We used it today to take brush we cut to a pile.

Still need to install the bucket teeth and do the rear brakes, and get the log forks ready to use.

3A697DF0-D281-4F99-AA3E-A3D73EBE4534.jpeg

Yesterday after a few runs up and down the hill, it wasn’t running right anymore. Low power. Dunno. I’ll have to troubleshoot next time.

The Creek Fire is about five miles (straight line) from where my loader is, my F.S. contact/friend says I won’t be able to get up there. I wanted to drive it down away from the fire. He said stay away and let them do their job.

C4E9EE6D-FF3A-4BC8-A204-FDE24F9D5050.jpeg

F5E4997C-1C49-4D42-BB6C-D972FC253355.png

0067A05F-171E-4D90-A8FD-DDCF7BC6A062.png

Last edited:
The Creek Fire is about five miles (straight line) from where my loader is, my F.S. contact/friend says I won’t be able to get up there. I wanted to drive it down away from the fire. He said stay away and let them do their job.

was wondering how you were doing as I know you are up that way.
cant wait until this weather is gone

Shit, maybe you shoulda got that track loader and coulda cut your own fire line by now

Shit, maybe you shoulda got that track loader and coulda cut your own fire line by now

I was gonna say the fire has already jumped the highway (as I’ve seen on one map), now I’ve seen another map that shows it hasn’t jumped the highway. Nice conflicting information. If it could jump the highway, I would need a really wide fire break.

I was gonna say the fire has already jumped the highway (as I’ve seen on one map), now I’ve seen another map that shows it hasn’t jumped the highway.

If it hasn't crossed the highway yet, I do not see what will stop it from doing that
wind it to be out of the North tonight and very gusty

creek wind_001.jpg

The fire stalled in the direction of our property/loader, the heat is further now than it was yesterday. A miracle I wasn’t expecting. The road our place is on is an evacuation and access route right now, other routes are cut off. So they would work hard to retain that route. Plus the furthest the fire got yesterday is a F.S. work center with fire crew quarters and shop. It was shown orange, not red.

F07511F8-18A9-44B2-A0A2-CB3C4E15E7F5.png

good luck Ed, hope it stays away from the loader. Assuming equipment like that isn't usually insured if it's on personal property

Good deal! I'm crossing my fingers we don't loose coyote or swamp!

Kevin

There’s an unrelated fire north of Courtright, kinda small. I saw it on the NASA heat map page.

Warning, the next reply has another loader that burned, not mine.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh