What's new

Loader tech in chit chat

I was able to knock the tooth on with an 8 lb maul, didn’t even have to hit it that hard. It got tighter towards the end though. The metal is soft enough to drill, that’s a lot of metal to remove though. I’m gonna look into using a drill press, and putting the table under the bucket. Then there’ll be a mechanical advantage. Maybe using a shorter piece of tubing with my drill press, just an idea for now. Mag drill is more than I want to spend.

C91A7F16-F2C2-4A23-849F-2239B710AF28.jpeg

D66ADD75-BB9E-46EE-A052-04A453316FCA.jpeg

I used the loader to pull some logs/trees out of the forest and into the open. I had a potential video camera person with me, but it didn’t occur me until too late. We should remember next time. So far I’ve mostly had still shots.

FCF3108A-A1C7-487B-B2A5-42A33D8DBDA3.jpeg

6A3A618D-0E19-43A1-93C8-C58CE71BEF3B.jpeg

it may have been on here, or on garage journal, but i saw a picture recently where someone was putting a new blade on the front of their bucket. They went with the drill press idea and I thought it was pretty genius. Had the benchtop drill press on a stump or something to get it at a height where the bucket could be held up and "level" with the press table

may not be as good as the mag drill & specialty cutter, but it looked infinitely better than any handheld option. Suspect the bit and feed speeds are the critical part. I'd probably lag screw it into the stump to reduce the chance of the whole damn press grabbing and twisting, we know the bucket wouldn't go anywhere if it bound up :eek:

it may have been on here, or on garage journal, but i saw a picture recently where someone was putting a new blade on the front of their bucket. They went with the drill press idea and I thought it was pretty genius. Had the benchtop drill press on a stump or something to get it at a height where the bucket could be held up and "level" with the press table

may not be as good as the mag drill & specialty cutter, but it looked infinitely better than any handheld option. Suspect the bit and feed speeds are the critical part. I'd probably lag screw it into the stump to reduce the chance of the whole damn press grabbing and twisting, we know the bucket wouldn't go anywhere if it bound up :eek:

I like the attaching the drill press to a stump idea.

I thought it would be on a semi, but it doesn’t matter. I found a different shipper, the other one was inept. Couldn’t move it in a month. I posted it myself, and several companies were competing for it.

17F6A0BC-0FB5-4C18-A4A6-445C57470329.jpeg

The bucket looks like it had 'wings' welded.on to the side to increase dirt capacity. Also, you could make the bucket more useful if you had larger hooks welded on top. The hooks (for lack of a better word) are used for putting pallet forks on the bucket. Imagine the forks with a big bar connecting the two at the top, you curl the bucket forward so the hooks grab the bar, then curl the backet back and bingo now its a forklift. Then you can drill a hole and mount a 2" ball hitch so you can move trailers around easier.

So with the log bucket, I assume it is already plumbed for the 3rd valve? Good addition, very versatile. We ran a similar bucket on our track loaders back in the day (see my avatar). We did mostly demolition and land clearing, so a grapple type bucket was required. The buckets we had were custom built by peterson tractor and at the time costed around $75,000 new, and this was back in the late 70s/early 80s. But worth every penny

And good lord I miss the sound of a detroit. They used to be everywhere, but I have not heard one in years...

The bucket looks like it had 'wings' welded.on to the side to increase dirt capacity.

Yes, we noticed that. Not just the sides, there’s an additional cutting edge extending it that way too. It was a 3-1/4 yard bucket originally.

Also, you could make the bucket more useful if you had larger hooks welded on top. The hooks (for lack of a better word) are used for putting pallet forks on the bucket. Imagine the forks with a big bar connecting the two at the top, you curl the bucket forward so the hooks grab the bar, then curl the backet back and bingo now its a forklift.

I’m aware of this, maybe later.

And good lord I miss the sound of a detroit. They used to be everywhere, but I have not heard one in years...

They do sound awesome. We had them in our trucks in Iraq too. V8.

So with the log bucket, I assume it is already plumbed for the 3rd valve?

No, it’s not. And I’m not sure how to go about it. I was thinking of finding the bucket control valve supply at the pump, teeing in and running to auxiliary valves. I want to do one for a winch while I’m at it. The loader has clamps to run lines out there, next to the other two. And I need to figure out where to add levers inside the cab. None of the interior pictures I’ve found have been that type. Most of these loaders were general purpose bucket.

I have not seen a terex in years, what is the bucket control like? Is it one stick on a combo valve (left, right, up, dn) or is it 2 separate levers (very old school)?

there are a couple ways to add another valve these days, it just depends what you want and how much you want to spend. You could run a whole new stick with electric control for 3rd valve, with the 3rd valve being a solenoid type. You could rig a foot pedal for open/close (forward/back type rocker pedal). You could add another lever by the control (requires 2 hand operation, sounds funky but not that bad).

The next question is the plumbing, where you tapping the lines in? Can you pull a cover off and take a pic of the valve?

Well first off, let me know what kind of pressure washer you got cuz that old girl is clean! Notice not a hint of rust after its been coated in oil for 40 years!

after looking at the diagram yeah i think your best bet is to somehow tee into that line out of the pump and run that to another valve. I dont know the best way to go about that, maybe contact a shop that does hydraulics and they may make a custom line for you. It could be as simple as taking your line, cutting and welding in a tee fitting and thats it, but I would contact a shop first. And you still need to do the same for return lines to the tank.

And then you are going to need to know what valve(s) you are adding. Since you need everything you can go whatever route you want, but I dont see why you could not do another one of that same valve (if you can find one cheap enough) and for the grapple control add a third lever right next to the other 2. Thats how the controls on all the old loaders were set up. Then mount the winch control valve elsewhere so its out of the way when running the machine, thats how dozers mount control for the rippers.

If you can stuff the valve in there next to the existing one it would look much better. You see farmers and stuff just sling the added hydraulics on the side of the machine and secure it with ratchet straps and have hoses all over the outside of the thing like medusa or some shit. But hey, it works.

Well most equipment has the valve at the control lever. I guess maybe they decided its cheaper to run cables from the levers to the valves since you use 40 ft less hydraulic hose, or they didnt want hoses flexing while turning.

Couldnt tell you what that small valve it for, looks like it was added on. The lines going to it are too small to operate hydraulics, maybe it is a line lock for brakes or a fuel cut off of some sort? Have you followed those lines to see where they go?

The grapple will need a valve that handles same presure as the rest of the system. The other factor is gph (flow). Measuring the diameter of the fittings going into the valve should give you an idea. Really that will determine the open/close cycle speed and how strong it can grab.

For a 3 lever I was talking about orienting the 3rd lever like this. But that means you are running the lines up into the cab. If you dont want that, then you can mount an electric rocker switch that operates a solenoid type hydraulic valve. Easier to route wires up there than hydraulic hose. It will just be open/close valve so you cant gently close the grapple (if you care). Hard to tell in the pic, but are there buttons on that lever already?

And check the lines on the grapple, you want the self sealing quick disconnect type fittings (vs a threaded connection that bleeds out all the hydraulic oil doing a bucket change). How does it attach? 4 pins or is it a quick connect?

photo13540.jpg

And check the lines on the grapple, you want the self sealing quick disconnect type fittings (vs a threaded connection that bleeds out all the hydraulic oil doing a bucket change). How does it attach? 4 pins or is it a quick connect?

It has quick connect hydraulic fittings.

Four pins. Quick connect attachment was a rare option on these things, I’ve only seen a couple in pictures.

7EA29775-1BF2-4B1C-8573-C6C7798DEBAA.jpeg

533020F3-1D7C-4F8C-BAFC-D688A12C9590.jpeg

For a 3 lever I was talking about orienting the 3rd lever like this. But that means you are running the lines up into the cab. If you dont want that, then you can mount an electric rocker switch that operates a solenoid type hydraulic valve. Easier to route wires up there than hydraulic hose. It will just be open/close valve so you cant gently close the grapple (if you care).

I was thinking of doing it the same as the existing setup, but haven’t looked at it close enough to see what’ll work best.

Looking at your loader is trip down memory lane. The new machines out there now are so advanced. Operators have it easy these days, things have been refined for easier operation, increased visibility and reduced operator fatigue. The old machines wore you out from grabbin levers and bouncing around all day, a screamin detroit blowin out your ear drums, leanin out the side so you can see the side of the bucket and hope you dont run over a bee hive and have them swarm the open cab.

But thats how we built America. I love machines from the 60s and 70s. Everything was crudley overkill yet purposefully elegant, and no emissions equipment in sight lol. That was before the age of the excavator. Wheel loaders grew massive, track loaders were on every job site, and D9s cut every highway in California. Now excavators rule the land and I have not seen a full sized track loader (not a skid steer) in years.

Came across this old video of when Clark michigan was the big name in wheel loaders. A 16 cyl detroit not enough power? Add another one! Beautiful!
https://youtu.be/0-rVHgOorKM

Top Back Refresh