What's new

Limey Bastard ~ 1974 F100 4x4 Resto

I love seeing updates to this thread and the time / skill you are putting into this. I wish the finished product was going to be sitting in my driveway, it’s a great looking ride done right

I love seeing updates to this thread and the time / skill you are putting into this. I wish the finished product was going to be sitting in my driveway, it’s a great looking ride done right
Thanks man!
:grinpimp:

So I painted my buddy's little toyota project, glad that's done.... had ol' Limey sitting outside under a tarp for a week. :homer:

Got him back in the shop, but progress is at a halt until I get a few other work related projects done, so next week I will be back on it.

The gray ghost is done at least. :grinpimp:

Just a scuff and shoot with some minor body work... :laughing: and a big old hole in the bed and fender I had to patch. Dang Mid West pickups. Painted the camper for him too. Single stage urethane on this one.

20210918_144818.jpg

20210919_185222.jpg

20210919_185229.jpg

That looks great, any different prep work for the camper/canopy? (I know absolutely nothing about paint work)

That looks great, any different prep work for the camper/canopy? (I know absolutely nothing about paint work)
Oops... just saw this.

No different prep work, just don't sand through to any fiberglass. The og paint was in good shape (no cracking or checking) so it was all good to spray rigt over after a scuff of 320 grit.

:grinpimp:

So I finally was able to get a couple days to sand/ clean and prime the cab... Will spend the tomorrow block sanding some and hopefully at least get the cab painted. Then I will have to pull that mess of a bed off the old parts truck and get busy on it. Yay.

:flipoff2:

Picy's:

20211015_174738.jpg
20211015_174532.jpg
20211015_174507.jpg

20211015_174521.jpg

So I have 2 medium coats of enamel put down... will need a color sand down the road, but I am pretty happy with the overall results for a garage paint job. I did manage to get a small run I will need to sand out on the door/ window frame, it's an easy fix though.

A couple pics of it flashing off still about 30 minutes after I shot it.

20211017_192532.jpg

20211017_192521.jpg

20211017_190715.jpg

^ A nice shot of my run... :homer: In all I used just under 3/4 of a gallon of enamel and hardener to shoot the cab alone. I bought a gallon and a quart, so I may need to get one more quart to have enough to complete the bed inside and out. Or raptor liner for the interior. It's about the same cost, so it's a decision to make soon.

Now the fun of assembling the thing back together and getting the interior sorted out starts. I am gonna just use the "parts truck" bed in a week or two and hopefully straighten it up enough to look decent...

Looking good :smokin:

I've used raptor liner in the past, and been very happy with it, and it'll keep you from doing ocd bodywork inside the bed:laughing:
This is kind of what I was thinking... The other bed has some dingers that might look better smothered in bed liner. :laughing:
Another quart of paint is about 120 bucks shipped, plus wait time of 2 weeks...

I went ahead and just ordered the paint... may as well just cover it all in the original paint code like it was from the factory. I'm gonna take a break for a week or so and get some of my work done. :flipoff2:

Next up will be getting the bed, finding a decent tailgate and reassembly of the cab/ interior. Wahoo! Can see the light at the end of this tunnel.

Also, I am already lining up another project... more to come on that one. :laughing:

Is that the shop you built yourself? I have shop envy. :homer:
Yup... You've been right?

:grinpimp: Just big enough I can do a full sized truck in it... not a ton more though. It's just at 26 x 24 wide, it's a constant battle to keep the wife from trying to sneak a bunch of crap in here! She has already taken over the 325 sq foot loft above the place. :laughing:

I am in the midst of reupholstering the bench seat today. What a pia... They didn't ship the little hog rings w it, so I am running all over town and finally found some at ACE (I guess it is really the place)...

So just a quick progress update... I managed to get the floor in (still need a heat cycle to smooth out a bit more), and the seat reupholstered. Polished up the sill plates too, and resealed the entire cab with all new weatherstripping and window seals too. Grille got cleaned up and installed, mirrors too. Coming alonog!

I attempted to install the rear view mirror, twice... the glue they sent in the package sucks. Followed the directions to a T, and it fell off both times. Need to find a glue that works somewhere. :homer: And I am waiting for the door seals to form better before I put the door panels in (also tan in color)... as it is now I have to slam the doors a bit to get them shut.

20211102_203557.jpg
20211104_224631.jpg
20211104_224547.jpg

So just a quick progress update... I managed to get the floor in (still need a heat cycle to smooth out a bit more), and the seat reupholstered. Polished up the sill plates too, and resealed the entire cab with all new weatherstripping and window seals too. Grille got cleaned up and installed, mirrors too. Coming alonog!

I attempted to install the rear view mirror, twice... the glue they sent in the package sucks. Followed the directions to a T, and it fell off both times. Need to find a glue that works somewhere. :homer: And I am waiting for the door seals to form better before I put the door panels in (also tan in color)... as it is now I have to slam the doors a bit to get them shut.

20211102_203557.jpg
20211104_224631.jpg
20211104_224547.jpg
I played that game for two years with all kinds of rearview mirror glues. The only one that worked was the official Ford one that Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard sells.

I played that game for two years with all kinds of rearview mirror glues. The only one that worked was the official Ford one that Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard sells.
This one?

Just ordered it.

Where did you find that seat cover?
Since you are an expert now, can you do mine?
Roll that beast up the mountain already! :grinpimp:

I found that particular cover which was the closest to og one I could find at LMC (I'm not a big fan of them, but it was more era correct/ original than the others available).

Thanks. Ya not an LMC fan myself either, depends on what it is exactly.

I wanted a cowboy leather seat until I called around to price. Can spend thousands on getting a seat recovered, even in just vinyl. Crazy. 6 month lead times. Didn't really want to do it myself, but...

Thanks. Ya not an LMC fan myself either, depends on what it is exactly.

I wanted a cowboy leather seat until I called around to price. Can spend thousands on getting a seat recovered, even in just vinyl. Crazy. 6 month lead times. Didn't really want to do it myself, but...
Honestly... it was one of the easier things to do on the truck thus far. Get a quality pair of hog ring pliers though! And the hog rings that come in most upholstery kits SUCK. I bought some copper ones from local hardware store... looked much better and really stout.

Not sure what the 67-72 bench looks like but it can't be much different. As seats go, the Ford one was a breeze though. I have done several over the years, this took me maybe 2 hours tops. Crack a beer and do it. Or drive up. :beer:

Just some knicky knacky things left on the interior... got the new door panels and mirror hung (thanks holdmypocket !)... Have held out as long as I could for a decent donor bed, and am forced now to just take the plunge and work with the donor bed. Gonna test my body work skills on that one, and eat up some time. Oh well, price is right and totally doable.

Piccy's of interior.

20211111_192510.jpg

20211111_192441.jpg

20211110_155535.jpg

Really cool truck, the work you’ve put in shows well.

Prime~ Because of trying to keep the thing fairly OG I decided to go with an enamel single stage paint on this one. I have painted with Acrylic Enamel before and when done right, comes out great, and it's true to the era. So the bare metals get a self etch primer (I'm going to leave intact as much of the original paint as possible) and then it gets sprayed with a 2k primer surfacer for build up.

Block sand~ I use an assortment of blocks and some home made stuff to wrap and sand with. At the end of the day, it's a truck... and NOT a show truck by any means. Just a cool weekend or even daily driver.

Paint~ I finally found a supplier to mix up the og pastel lime paint for me. I have used their stuff before and it lays down pretty decent for the price. AND fits the budget. Restoration Shops/ Custom Shop line of paint. For a gallon and a quart, plus reducers/ hardeners and primer it came to just under 600 bucks...

Now that you have put the product down, was it still a good choice in your estimation?

Would you mind sharing the product and the supplier? (I’m working out the details on my own Commando body work and spray job).

Now that you have put the product down, was it still a good choice in your estimation?

Would you mind sharing the product and the supplier? (I’m working out the details on my own Commando body work and spray job).

I ordered through this place: 1974 Ford
It is basically a TCP vendor and comes in a can labeled "restoration shop". I would rank it next to a Nason single stage. The custom mixed paints don't sit on the shelf and typically shake up fairly easy. You do have to order the hardener seperately.

I am happy with it. I will say it isn't PPG, but it lays down pretty easy with some decent primer. And I will say it is a spot on color match. I was impressed with that... literally NO difference from the interior (I didn't spray it), to the fresh paint on the exterior.

I ordered through this place: 1974 Ford
It is basically a TCP vendor and comes in a can labeled "restoration shop". I would rank it next to a Nason single stage. The custom mixed paints don't sit on the shelf and typically shake up fairly easy. You do have to order the hardener seperately.

I am happy with it. I will say it isn't PPG, but it lays down pretty easy with some decent primer. And I will say it is a spot on color match. I was impressed with that... literally NO difference from the interior (I didn't spray it), to the fresh paint on the exterior.
Are the door panels stock? If not, mind sharing where you got them? I'm needing a set for the 76. Reviews of LMCs aren't real good but I have no personal experience with them.

Are the door panels stock? If not, mind sharing where you got them? I'm needing a set for the 76. Reviews of LMCs aren't real good but I have no personal experience with them.
So AGAIN... I really am not a fan of LMC. It was either them or Dennis Carpenter for panels and LMC won. The DC ones had mixxed reviews also, but the LMC ones are actually ok. They are painted though, and the DC ones are actually tinted plastic but a bit thin from what I have heard.

So AGAIN... I really am not a fan of LMC. It was either them or Dennis Carpenter for panels and LMC won. The DC ones had mixxed reviews also, but the LMC ones are actually ok. They are painted though, and the DC ones are actually tinted plastic but a bit thin from what I have heard.
Great....thank you. It'll be awhile before I'm ready for the interior as I'll be sending the cab out for sand blasting this coming spring. If I can't find any stock ones, LMC it will be.

Thanks again.

Top Back Refresh