What's new

Limey Bastard ~ 1974 F100 4x4 Resto

Dezertrangers sucks and crashes atleast once a week. The owner of the site won't spend the time to cleanup old posts so the serve gets maxxed out. and he said there is no money to update the server anyways.

So I went a bit deeper into the engine yesternight, and I'm still pretty dang happy about my findings. :grinpimp: Almost half of the valve stem seals were toast (spent some time fishing out pieces them from all over). All the pushrods are nice and straight, the valves are all in great shape and are seated spot on (no dings, chips or any bad news there). The lifters are all in excellent shape as well as the stock cam! The oil pan had the typical sludge accumulated in the bottom, but the pickup sump and oil pump are great. Every cylinder has a tad bit of carbon build up towards the top, the the cylinder walls and pistons, connecting rods and crank journals are all great too. All in all I think this thing led a decent life to date and will basically just need a "freshening up"! Total investment in the engine should be right around 450~ish.

So I have a new timing set, valve stem seals, full gasket set, couple of new accessories (starter, fuel pump, engine mounts, etc...) and a bunch of black and ford blue paint! :laughing: Then I will roll the cab back and assess the C6 and transfer case (np205). I'm hoping my findings there will be much the same and it will just need some new seals/ gaskets and a good scrubbing. I know I will be replacing the torque converter with a wee bit stouter one and probably the vacuum modulator... possibly a new valve body too.

Been spending the majority of time cleaning the 47 years of crud off Grimy Bastard for the last few days...

Click image for larger version Name:	20210313_154651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	341.6 KB ID:	343422

Click image for larger version Name:	20210313_154713.jpg Views:	0 Size:	353.7 KB ID:	343423

Click image for larger version Name:	20210313_153106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	468.1 KB ID:	343424

Still got the engine torn apart... waiting on a few parts and warm weather to paint... had a couple worn pushrods so a set is on order, as well as a high volume oil pump and some other knick knacks.

So far it's about what I expected as far as the engine goes. Been snowing here, so will need to make up for some time over the weekend when we will see some 60 + degree weather. :grinpimp: This block is a disgusting mess thus far. If I was just assembling an engine I'd been done days ago. :homer: I hate working on grimey junk.

Are you going to increase the size of the oil pan?

Edit: Actually after sifting through this thread... I have changed my mind. Order cancelled.

Same HV vs. standard volume argument...no solution - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (ford-trucks.com)

Thinking I will just scrub the oil galley's as best I can and fit a new standard pump in place along with a new shaft... I will also have to examine the shape of my rocker's/ shafts a bit more thoroughly too...

Quick update.... getting the engine all cleaned up and tossing in a bunch of new parts. Pushrods should be here today, most everything else already arrived. Going through the heads an I am, again, really happy with what I looked at. Really just needed to lap the valves and reassemble. I went ahead and pulled the main caps and a few rod caps to check the bearings.... ALL good. Hardly any wear on them. I know this is the engines first time being cracked open, still had the og nylon cam sprocket and og chain in there. I put in a new rear main seal, oil pump, timing chain set, plastigauged the mains (all perfect), cleaned all the surfaces, new core plugs, degrimed the cooling jackets... pulled a bunch of sludge from the oil pan and cleaned up most of the engine components ~ 48 years of grunge (poor parts washer). :laughing:

Gettin there...

Valves lapped... all of them were in great shape.

20210326_085307.jpg

Serious elbow grease here... I hate dirty junk.

20210326_085430.jpg

All prettied up... :flipoff2:
20210326_085246.jpg

Came in here to caution you about the HV oil pump, but I see it got handled.

I will say that the heads look pretty clean, but it may be worth a trip to the machine shop to have hardened valve seats installed. Its good insurance to make the engine last a good long time with todays gasoline. While there you can have the guides machined for proper valve stem seals.

Are you gonna run a 2bbl? I have a factory cast iron 4bbl intake if youre interested. Shipping might be a bitch. It weighs about as much as the short block does! :lmao:

Xwhatever on hit me up for FE parts. I have a few...

Came in here to caution you about the HV oil pump, but I see it got handled.

I will say that the heads look pretty clean, but it may be worth a trip to the machine shop to have hardened valve seats installed. Its good insurance to make the engine last a good long time with todays gasoline. While there you can have the guides machined for proper valve stem seals.

Are you gonna run a 2bbl? I have a factory cast iron 4bbl intake if youre interested. Shipping might be a bitch. It weighs about as much as the short block does! :lmao:

Xwhatever on hit me up for FE parts. I have a few...

Thanks man for the offer! The 72+ FE already have hardened valve seats from the factory, apparently. :grinpimp: Talked with Bill at the machine shop and showed him a head... he took it inside for a few minutes and came back and told me to lap the valves. :laughing: Sweet! No cracks, or other issues... even the exhaust side needed no machining.

I will be leaving the MC 2100 (2bbl)on it... for now. Not sure I can justify the 4bbl for a 360. Stock it's supposedly right over 200HP, seems like plenty for a cruiser 4x4 f100. I was looking at the parts truck and it has a 390 (finally measured it) with a factory 4 bbl intake on it. Has C4AE heads on it and the intake/ block all match too... I'm inclined to think the engine came out of 65 Galaxy with a sort of hopped up 390 FE. So..... that might be the later build for another project. This f100 is gonna stay as close to original as possible.

And no kidding on the flippin intake! Dam thing must weigh 95 lbs... should be fun to set back on. :homer:

SO yesterday I spent a few hours getting the heads back in order. Cleaned, painted and valve trains set back in... got the rocker assemblies all cleaned up too. Hopefully we get some decent weather today and I can get the rest of the stuff cleaned and painted to reassemble the top end (intake and etc...). Had to break out the old skool valve spring compressor. Been a while for that. :grinpimp:

20210326_084941.jpg

20210327_181721.jpg

20210327_193312.jpg

Heads and intake are all buttoned up... waiting on a 5/8" tap to hit the crank threads with, so I don't booger them up when I put the balancer back on. I have plenty to do while I wait for that anyways. New pushrods are in and everything is sealed up really well. These FE's are notorious for being big leaky pigs, but I think this one got all the known points covered (Fangers crossed). :laughing:

Pretty much just have valve covers, oil pan and some knicky knack stuff to get painted and put back on. Then the engine will sit on the stand for another week or more while I clean up the trans and frame... :homer:

20210331_185255.jpg

Man that looks good!

Thanks man! I'm kind of hesitant to get all the components on it just yet... otherwise it would be fairly loaded up. My stand is rated for like 1500 lbs, but this thing is making the poor stand work really hard. :laughing: Just a big, fat, pig monster of an engine... I bet just what is in the pic comes in at 650 lbs.:fj:flipflip

Thanks man! I'm kind of hesitant to get all the components on it just yet... otherwise it would be fairly loaded up. My stand is rated for like 1500 lbs, but this thing is making the poor stand work really hard. :laughing: Just a big, fat, pig monster of an engine... I bet just what is in the pic comes in at 650 lbs.:fj:flipflip

Luckily it’s not too terrible working on the front of these old Ford motors inside the bay, if that is your intention.

I really want to learn how to tear down and rebuild motors. My 300 is about due.

Did you decide to tear down and rebuild your C6?

Heads and intake are all buttoned up... waiting on a 5/8" tap to hit the crank threads with, so I don't booger them up when I put the balancer back on. I have plenty to do while I wait for that anyways. New pushrods are in and everything is sealed up really well. These FE's are notorious for being big leaky pigs, but I think this one got all the known points covered (Fangers crossed). :laughing:

Pretty much just have valve covers, oil pan and some knicky knack stuff to get painted and put back on. Then the engine will sit on the stand for another week or more while I clean up the trans and frame... :homer:

Ford pron, indeed! :grinpimp: :smokin:

Luckily it’s not too terrible working on the front of these old Ford motors inside the bay, if that is your intention.

I really want to learn how to tear down and rebuild motors. My 300 is about due.

Did you decide to tear down and rebuild your C6?

It shouldn't be real bad... got the front clip yanked off, and before it goes back on I should have everything pretty much bolted on.:grinpimp:

Ugh... the C6 was shifting really well as it was, so I'm hoping not. I have new seals and a valve body kit/ filter and etc... if it looks good when II crack it open, then NO. lol. Probably just clean it up, add fresh fluids and a new torque converter and call it good.

Those 300's are bullet proof little suckers man! Kinda miss mine I had in an old falcon ranchero. :smokin:

I admire your ability to refrain from pouring money into the 360. I just wouldn't be able to help myself.. cam, intake, headers and $o on.
:rolleyes:
Keep up the good work, coming right along.

:laughing:

Thanks! Now on this 390 in the parts truck... I hope I can restrain myself a bit. That I may put a bit into to. It will need full machine work and some upgrades... Would easily put out 325hp with not a ton of effort or mass amount of super expensive parts. Then ya get to break the stock axles and stuff... :homer: You know the story, and how it all ends. :laughing:

As for the ol 360.. it's just a torquey little beast as is. Good enough for wheeling a bit and getting to 70 on the highway. I expect to get anywhere between 5 and 15 mpg with it. :grinpimp:

:laughing:

Thanks! Now on this 390 in the parts truck... I hope I can restrain myself a bit. That I may put a bit into to. It will need full machine work and some upgrades... Would easily put out 325hp with not a ton of effort or mass amount of super expensive parts. Then ya get to break the stock axles and stuff... :homer: You know the story, and how it all ends. :laughing:

As for the ol 360.. it's just a torquey little beast as is. Good enough for wheeling a bit and getting to 70 on the highway. I expect to get anywhere between 5 and 15 mpg with it. :grinpimp:

Exactly, you can build all the power you want but you'll find the next weakest link. It'll still be fun to drive with the 360

Good on you for keeping the 2bbl. Those are great offroading carbs and run good at steep angles. Still have the 2150 on my 351M in my '77

I actually have a 2150 sitting in a box too... and yup, they have been pretty well known over the years to handle angles better than many carbs out there. I will still prolly rebuild the 2150 for use at lower elevation, should the need arise, have heard a few stories on being under jetted when I drop to sea level or under 2k ft.

So the engine (except water pump, still waiting for it) is all sealed/ buttoned up and will have to await landing it back into the frame until I get the rest of everything cleaned up and ready. Wiring harness, frame cleaned up and etc...

20210405_143618.jpg

I finally got the rest of the parts for the engine and have it under some plastic waiting to send back in... until then I am renaming it the "Grimey Bastard". I lifted the cab off the frame with the help of my nephew so I could clean up the frame... I thought the engine was a 47 year old mess! :laughing:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ Got my work cut out for me getting this all cleaned up and in shape. All in all not to bad, but will take a lot of elbow grease and some paint. Also have a ton of stuff coming in the next week for the trans (seals, gaskets, filter, valve body, modulator and etc..), axles and drive shafts. Every ujoint needs replaced (including the front axles) and a refresh on all the bushings. New radius arms rubber and the insulators were pretty rough looking, so they are getting new also. Lots to strip off the frame for cleanup~ tomorrows and probably Wednesdays project. Got the nephew coming back next weekend to help set the cab back, so theres a deadline. :grinpimp:

So, this transfer case is an NP205... and it has slugs in the axle. :confused:
​ Only thing I can figure is the guy that had it was old... and maybe took the locking hubs off so he didn't have to get out and lock em up on snowy days? OR, at some point the t case was swapped from a full time 4wd to part time. Either way I'm stoked on the t case. :smokin:
​ I have a set of hubs from the parts truck that will get installed when I start hitting the axle for it's overhaul. OG spicers I'm guessing. AND, the parts truck has an NP203. Da fawk? Anyways... some pics:

20210411_170426.jpg

20210411_170413.jpg

20210411_170514.jpg

Hmm, something was swapped, FWIW, I've never seen a 203 manual trans combo, but have heard they did exist, auto could be had either 203 or 205, maybe look at the shifter and floor cut to determine if it was swapped from a 203

Could have been as simple as a factory 205 truck with 410s that got 350 axles bolted in, or bent a front in a ditch when it was a little drunk out...

The NP205 and C6 I am pretty sure are original to the truck... I am leaning towards your thinking that the og front was either munched and he replaced with a different axle, or actually requested a shop to put in some slugs because one of the manual hubs got roasted or something... who knows? I have a set of old hubs I am going to go through and see if they can work. Hopefully. Front axle is coming out today for some love anyways. New seals ujoints and a look at the gears to verify they are good and match the rear.

Well, Grimey Bastard is going back to Limey Bastard as of today... took a LOT of elbow grease, cleanup and rebuilding of parts but it's been worth it. :grinpimp:

Front axle got a tear down, minus the front brakes (was waiting on parts that just arrived today). All the seals, gaskets were replaced and some fresh paint. All the Tie rods/ ends were serviced and new dust boots got put on, some new zerks too for fresh grease. The gears looked great, as did the bearings.

The frame got cleaned up with tons of scraping, a wire wheel and painted with some frame paint. The trans was actually in great shape when I yanked the pan, so some new seals all around and a good scrubbing. The transfer case was also in excellent shape and got the same treatment of new output shaft seals and a thorough cleanup. (I'm literally wondering if this old guy has low digit miles, as in around 37K).

And I landed the engine back in today... I'll just let the before and after pics speak. Glad that part of the cleanup is over. I HATE dirty stuff.

Before:

20210303_154644.jpg

After:

20210503_155836.jpg

Quick pic of the frame/ trans all cleaned up prior to the engine install...

20210429_173736.jpg

Was waiting on the torque converter for a week and a half also....

20210503_133742.jpg

And last for now, the front axle all put together and looking good....

20210428_184606.jpg

I plan to tear out and go through the rear axle over the next week, as well as get the front clip back together and start reassembling the engine with all the brackets/ PS pump, alt, and etc...

Body work should start in a week and a half, or 2 weeks. Lord willin and the crick don't rise. :homer:

Top Back Refresh