What's new

Just Joined the Forklift Club :smokin:

No mast. Not a forklift.
B8137131-3665-4E41-A913-BFDB53D4ED2B.gif

Hell I'll have to get some pics of my forklifts.

I have a Caterpillar V80D at the shop. 7 or 8k lift capacity (I'll have to look again.) Handy as all hell for positioning stuff for welding or lifting trailers to service tires/ wheel bearings. Has a little perkins 4 cylinder diesel and starts up great even in the cold. When it gets really cold of course it takes a bit of cranking, and maybe a shot of ether to get er going. Doesn't seem to use a drop of oil, and other than the one time the water pump went out it runs cool in the summer. A bit underpowered, but most forklifts are. Has solid tires so not the best for bouncing around on the prairie or soft dirt, but I haven't gotten it stuck yet.

Only pic I have of it is this one of the fork extensions/ spreader bar I made.

IMG_2022-07-28_12-56-36.jpeg

Also have a Case construction king (585C I believe) It's at a hay shed on the farm. Haven't used it much in years, but we used to use it all the time. Have an 18 bale accumulator on there for grabbing small bales off a stack and setting them on a trailer or semi. I really should bring it home to the shop, do a bit of work on it, and start using it for forklift duties.

And finally I have an old Kwik Mix Hi-lifter. Odd thing. Has a continental engine on it. Is 4x4 with 14.00-24 loader tires all the way around. I bought it, drove it most of the way home, and the steering took a shit on me. I have plans on putting full hydro steering on it using a steering orbital out of an international tractor and some cylinders. Just haven't had any time to mess with it.

In my humble opinion, that V80d was one of the best cat lift trucks ever made that’s an 8000 pound truck they use the hell out of those things up in the lumberyards in the Sierras the only downfall they had with some engineer figured it would be a good cost savings not to have any Zirk fittings on the steer axles . The dealership I was at we did a lot of modifications updating those to where you could lube them. They were bulletproof .

What are forklifts going for these days? My dad is closing his business in 5 months and has a couple forklifts to sell. I believe a 5k lb Datsun with pneumatic tires. Runs but needs some things. Also has a 8k lb White brand forklift. Probably hasn’t ran in 10-15 years. Just sitting in the warehouse. I don’t remember why it was parked but I don’t believe it was anything catastrophic. I will try and grab some pics next time I am there.

For an older (1960s-1980s) forklift they seem to run around $0.50-2/LB of capacity if they are mostly working (depending on condition and how "OSHA compatible" it is), ones that are "mechanics specials" seem to run $0.10-1.00/LB of capacity.

Aaron Z

How about 2 forklifts?

No idea what the 977 can lift. It weighs right around 50k lbs.
The little guy is a Mitsubitchy 5k. I've got to pull the engine apart this summer, it has almost no compression. Runs fine, just tough to start.

If anyone can actually run the crawler and pick up pallets without doing a hulk smash and not tear the ground to hell, I'd be beyond impressed.

Attachments

• 20220928_173655.jpg
    20220928_173655.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
How about 2 forklifts?

No idea what the 977 can lift. It weighs right around 50k lbs.
The little guy is a Mitsubitchy 5k. I've got to pull the engine apart this summer, it has almost no compression. Runs fine, just tough to start.
If you haven't checked it yet, look at the vacuum line from the intake to the vaporizer.
If that's leaking it will start very hard, but run fine once it gets running.

Aaron Z

chinkanese 20 dollar backup camera in the grill would provide a massive visibility boost
Two pieces of anything taped to the fork verticals so you can see where they are would too. Put a level mark on the curl linkage and you're gold

Two pieces of anything taped to the fork verticals so you can see where they are would too. Put a level mark on the curl linkage and you're gold
I'm very rarely forking palletized stuff, and often forking it into the back of a station wagon that still has glass in the window regions

putting an eyeball at bumper height in the hood's worst blind spot just feels like the thing to do

I'm very rarely forking palletized stuff, and often forking it into the back of a station wagon that still has glass in the window regions

putting an eyeball at bumper height in the hood's worst blind spot just feels like the thing to do
This. And it'll save your ass when you're trying to balance some low thing you can't see on the very tip of the forks without dumping it.

I bought it to move dirt, just so happened to come with forks, a smooth bucket that the forks slide into and a toothed bucket that pins on (pita to install).

I'd be curious what it was used for as a forklift.

Using my Bobcat or the Mitsubitchy Forky McForkface work way better.

If you haven't checked it yet, look at the vacuum line from the intake to the vaporizer.
If that's leaking it will start very hard, but run fine once it gets running.

Aaron Z

I had a thread about it earlier this winter, thinking it was propane related.

Ended up doing a compression test and it's low... like surprised it even can run low.

Lots of them carry huge pipe on pipeline jobs
Maybe. Forks are only 4ft, but thick.

Whoever owned it kept good care of it. About the only thing that doesn't work right that I've found is the A/C and it's missing a section of trim for the ceiling in the cab.

Had almost a full tank of fuel even. Tank is around 100 gallons.

I also have a 941, haven't tried to start it yet. That one came from California based on old stickers.

I had a thread about it earlier this winter, thinking it was propane related.

Ended up doing a compression test and it's low... like surprised it even can run low.
I would check that hose just be sure, might be enough to get it so it'll start easily and let you put off a rebuild.
Place I got my 2 post lift from had an older Hyster propane/gasoline lift that he said "always needed ether to start" unless it was still warm and he was about ready to rip out the propane system.
Once he replaced the crumbling vacuum line to the vaporizer it started right up.

Aaron Z

Anyone know what motor is in a Toyota 42-5FG20? May have a lead on one, he said it ran but needs a motor. Pain in the dick, repower or pass?

What’s the best trailer to move a dead forklift? Tilt deck or drop deck,?? Either way I’ll have to rent one. He’s got another forklift to load it but unloading is a whole other question, chain it to something solid and chainfall it off? How well does a 7600lb lift roll?

What’s the best trailer to move a dead forklift? Tilt deck or drop deck,?? Either way I’ll have to rent one. He’s got another forklift to load it but unloading is a whole other question, chain it to something solid and chainfall it off? How well does a 7600lb lift roll?
Whichever has a winch to pull it up onto the trailer.
One where the whole deck drops down flat is better, but a tilt deck can work as well.

Aaron Z

I've hauled a few 7k forklifts on the 10k tilt deck bumper pulls from the rental yard. Put it on backwards since the most weight is obviously on the rear. If its a wooden deck park the rear axle on a crossmember.

Add to this since its a dead forklift.

Idk how far your going / how legal you wanna be but to make unload easier if you have the other forklift there to load it use it to raise the mast up enough to chain it so it wont hit rolling off the trailer. I just pushed the dead one off with the other forklift, you could drag it off with a strap and a truck. I had working brakes though so I could ride it down a bit, pick the dropoff location with that in mind :laughing:

Uhaul 1-axle with ramp will work ok for a 7600lb lift. Spring for the 2-axle if you feel like going overkill. The 2-axle handles a 9500lb lift without giving a fuck.

I did exacly what you're doing with a ~9500lb lift and the 1-axle. It's in the BDL thread somewhere. The orange lift was 9k and too much. The white lift was 6xxx without battery (per data plate). Chain hoist rolled them right up onto the trailer. Gravity rolled them down.

Don't listen to the idiots saying you need a drop deck. They're clearly idiots because if they'd have tried it with a normal trailer they'd know it's really not that bad and you don't need a drop deck.

Jesus tap dancing Christ, I had to go look and thanks for the idea. I’m not sure if my balls are as big as yours and I’ll be traveling 70miles down the highway. It looks like their 2 axle 6x12 with a ramp is rated for 3710lbs and I’m sure there is a safety factor in that

Top Back Refresh