What's new

Just Joined the Forklift Club :smokin:

Rebuild kits for that should be really cheap. Not sure how that rubber diaphragm will hold up to carb cleaner so you may want to go ahead and source one now. :laughing:
I'd bet its nitrile, it is bathed in propane 100% of the time, so why wouldn't it be fine with carb cleaner

I bet that part got all gummed up because that thing lived life at idle most of the time. All that nasty shit in ours was down stream. But to be honest our forklifts had 2 uses. Sitting there off or on the limiter. Except that time the one ideled for 5 mins on it side. That's a whole nother story. :homer: Probably just pushed the gunk further downstream. :laughing:

Bitch is earning her keep.

When I was doing this with the skid-steer everything was super bouncy, like if I walked on the tip of the platform it was a diving board. This thing feels like I'm standing on fuckin concrete.

Guess that's what the 2 1/2 inch non-tapered forks are for. They're fucking monster forks that I'm sure are from another machine.

PA212679.JPG

PA212689.JPG

PA212690.JPG

I'd bet its nitrile, it is bathed in propane 100% of the time, so why wouldn't it be fine with carb cleaner
I bought the service manual last night. Says absolutely no carb cleaner because it'll damage the coating on the aluminum. Didn't say anything about the rubber stuff.

Said to use isoprople alcohol. Oh well.

Looking to join the club and I’ve found a propane Hyster but it needs a battery and propane tank. Can I just temporarily use my bbq pit propane tank to get it on and off the trailer?

Looking to join the club and I’ve found a propane Hyster but it needs a battery and propane tank. Can I just temporarily use my bbq pit propane tank to get it on and off the trailer?
You need the liquid not vapor so it needs to be flipped.

I'm 99.9 % sure the connector on mine fits a bbq tank (the big outside right hand threads, NOT the internal lefty threads).

You'll have to rig your tank to sit upside down so liquid comes out, but 99% sure it'll work.

IIRC the forklift threads is 1 1/4" where the OPD threads are 1 5/16"
maybe it's like chevy input shafts though where 1 5/32" in some catalogs actually is 1 1/8"
You need the liquid not vapor so it needs to be flipped.
it'll run on vapor long enough to get on/off the trailer
tank will freeze quick if it is 30F though, so keep the tank warm in the truck while you're driving out to pick it up

I may have an actual forklift tank lined up to borrow as long as this deal doesn’t fall thru. Can anyone identify the year from this data plate?

Attachments

• 1EE4A1C3-492B-4628-8EC4-AF8EEA856D73.jpeg
    1EE4A1C3-492B-4628-8EC4-AF8EEA856D73.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 32
I may have an actual forklift tank lined up to borrow as long as this deal doesn’t fall thru. Can anyone identify the year from this data plate?
I'm not even gonna read the data plate because the tanks get stamped with the year when they get certified and another stamp indicating how long the cert is good for.

Someone may be able to approximately date the tank based on the data plate but that doesn't say anything about whether it's certified or not, which I assume is what you're interested in.

I'm not even gonna read the data plate because the tanks get stamped with the year when they get certified and another stamp indicating how long the cert is good for.

Someone may be able to approximately date the tank based on the data plate but that doesn't say anything about whether it's certified or not, which I assume is what you're interested in.
Yea you didn't read the data plate.

It's 1969 or newer.

I’d guess 73 then.

Attachments

• F84FA670-329E-424B-ACE6-0FE7DC3991E5.jpeg
    F84FA670-329E-424B-ACE6-0FE7DC3991E5.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 26
  • 4009E0ED-CC3C-4741-8EEA-3DFD164B3A77.jpeg
    4009E0ED-CC3C-4741-8EEA-3DFD164B3A77.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 25
Looking at buying another forklift.

Ad seems too good to be true. I’ve got my dad going to check it out this morning.

2011 Toyota 8FDU25 for $12,000 CDN

Clock shows just over 2000 hours.
3 stage mast, side shift
Enclosed cab!
Diesel.
Pneumatic tires.

I spoke to the owner, said he’s had it for 4 years. Now he’s got a skid steer to replace it. Said he cleaned it up and painted it.

Any way to confirm these low hours? Check wear on the brake pedal from operator’s boots?

aaaaa.jpg
bbbbbb.jpg
ccccc.jpg
dddddd.jpg
eeeee.jpg

$12k Seems cheap but I have no idea what your canadian tire bucks equate to in real money.

This might be IBB blasphemy, but why replace the $2500 forklift that does what you need it to do with one that costs $10k more?

Last edited:
This might be in blasphemy, but why replace the $2500 forklift that does what you need it to do with one that costs $10k more?
It's fuckin shiny!

Seriously though, right now it seems like the time to hoard machinery, since getting diesel stuff that doesn't have a bunch of emissions bullshit is getting rarer. I think I could keep this thing going for the rest of my life (just like my skid steer) with minimal headaches.

I just see the thousands of dollars I have in the bank losing value, while the value of the material objects I own are skyrocketing.

and it's fucking shiny.

It's fuckin shiny!

Seriously though, right now it seems like the time to hoard machinery, since getting diesel stuff that doesn't have a bunch of emissions bullshit is getting rarer. I think I could keep this thing going for the rest of my life (just like my skid steer) with minimal headaches.

I just see the thousands of dollars I have in the bank losing value, while the value of the material objects I own are skyrocketing.

and it's fucking shiny.
My only insight is that I don't see very many small diesel forklifts around, but I don't know why. Electric seems to be the most popular, propane second. I'd guess it's because most of the time they are used indoors and anything but a SCR+DOC equipped diesel is going to stink it up pretty quick.
FWIW I paid $14k for a really clean 2004 hyster S80XM propane 8klb lift in ~2011 with 3-stage mast and side shift.

3-stage mast is very handy if you will be using it in any low profile areas.

I'd guess it's because most of the time they are used indoors
yup, swhy like all of them are propane and almost none are gasoline
go to telehandler type stuff, and very large pneumatic tire lifts and you'll see lots of diesel and gasoline and almost no propane

Dad said it was nice. Drove and lifted good.

Paint job looks like shit. You can see from the front-on pic how rusty the bottom of mast and axles are. I wonder if it's from lots of time on a trailer, getting sprayed with road salt. Also the safety fence thing above the forks is mangled and broken.

Didn't get a pic of the engine, but dad said it was clean.

I'm on the fence about it. The owner will not say that it in fact has 2000 hours, just that the clock says so. (He can't attest to the previous owner...which is fair). If that's all the hours it has, then they were rough hours I'd say.

thumbnail_20211201_103228_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_103952_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_104002_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_104007_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_104018_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_104027_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_104032_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_104039_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_104042_Original.jpg
thumbnail_20211201_104054_Original.jpg

that paint job would drive me away. WTF else was hacked, whoever painted it couldn't even pull out a roll of tape or hell, some cardboard? That looks like shit, what's that shitty blue and orange actually hiding?

and with all that blue/orange shit paint, they didn't have a can of black to spray on the forks? It's like someone let their 5yr old go wild with a rattlecan

when you find your self stuck, i find a few hard boards under the mast when it is tilted back will raise the drive wheels up off the ground by tilting it forward. makes pulling the front tires off easy.

That forklift is 1/2 hour away from me....thought about it, but 2300 hours is not believable. Too good to be true! The paint job looks horrendous in your dad's pics I can't imagine it in person. The cab is snice for outside running seeing as winter is here.
The mast being unpainted is more than likely from running it outside in the snow and salt.
I could contact the local forklift techs and ask them to go look at it if you want to spend the $$$$$

JC8

Top Back Refresh