What's new

Just got a message from Ashke.

Moarqueque
Are you going to be a lifer in The Corpse?

He's far too young to have an idea one way or another.

Everyone will justify their own choice, after all, who wants to willingly say that they made the wrong decision? But after my years in and going, I've never met a single retiree that regretted making a career out of it. I have known quite a few that have said "Damn, I'd be retired right now, and could still be doing what I am now"

To be able to draw a pension from the age you retire from, for the rest of your life, for doing absolutely nothing - and on top of that, a pension system that you fiscally contributed zero dollars to - is quite awesome. Forest through the trees for me. But I'm also far closer to the end of the tunnel than he is :flipoff2:

I'll disagree with your zero dollar contribution.

The legal reason why you are allowed to draw it under age 62 is because it is classified as "delayed income" rather than a pension payment retirement. You are paying for it entirely right now through your low wages.

Fuck doing 20 years. Do a 4 year enlistment and get the fuck out. You will have your GI Bill and you can be a civilian contractor. Make 3 to 4 times the money and work 6 months out of the year. The key to all of this is avoiding the 3-chinned, 300 pound dependepotomus of a wife that will suck the life out of you.

I'll disagree with your zero dollar contribution.

The legal reason why you are allowed to draw it under age 62 is because it is classified as "delayed income" rather than a pension payment retirement. You are paying for it entirely right now through your low wages.
I feel fortunate to be where I'm at now, and recognize your point. But I've had a very unique career thus far, and would say it evens out in the end. I also realize "Your Mileage May Vary" in terms of experiences. Some people have easier military careers than others. Of course, the definition of 'easy' is subjective, so it's hard to quantify any of this.

My peers and I, who are now mostly senior CWO's, E9's, and company/field grades joke about how you get steam rolled the most during your first few years, whilst getting paid the least. Doesn't make any sense and to a certain extent, it's like a cruel system that those that survive the first round of the wood chipper reap the benefits later on.

I'll never forget spending all of 2010 in Afghanistan. I spent half of it as a LCpl and got promoted to Cpl about half way through. Not married, so no BAH, no family sep pay, etc. Tax free (state and federal), hazard duty pay, etc. My gross (take home, because of no taxes) for that year was under $35k. That's fucking it. A year of being away from family, friends, missing out on everything in life...oh, and not to mention, you're fucking in a combat zone in Afghanistan.

So you're not wrong, and I get what you're saying. I'm also saying that my take home after taxes now is over 3 times that, and I'm doing what I would consider, a 1/4 amount of the work I did those years ago. Sure, I get paid because of my expertise, knowledge, and being able to get stuff done. I recognize there's not a shortcut for experience, and like all trades, you gotta do your time to get to know your craft. But this stuff comes very easy to me, and for me, it's not particularly difficult. I'm on the path to collect over 50k a year (not counting anything from the VA) at 40 years old. Until I die. For not doing anything. With zero limitations on how much, or little, I wish to work afterwards. I'm OK with having paid my dues those early years and few deployments.

Fuck doing 20 years. Do a 4 year enlistment and get the fuck out. You will have your GI Bill and you can be a civilian contractor. Make 3 to 4 times the money and work 6 months out of the year. The key to all of this is avoiding the 3-chinned, 300 pound dependepotomus of a wife that will suck the life out of you.

Agree and disagree. Comparing contractor pay to the pay you make your first 2 years in is a little short sighted. I've also known a lot of guys that get out and make a stellar life on the outside. Also know a lot that expect that to be handed to them...and they have a rude wake up call.

Fully agree not knocking up a 3 chinned dependa...regardless of your employer :lmao:

My peers and I, who are now mostly senior CWO's, E9's, and company/field grades joke about how you get steam rolled the most during your first few years, whilst getting paid the least. Doesn't make any sense and to a certain extent, it's like a cruel system that those that survive the first round of the wood chipper reap the benefits later on.
This applies to a lot of paths outside the military. Yes you all have way more on the line and stand for more than selfish personal growth but same idea. :usa:

New York is actually the most expensive states to live in bar none followed by OCONUS Hawaii and Alaska.
Do you have any data to support that, or just gut feeling/ what you’ve heard?

I will concede that Hi and (to a lesser extent AK) can be outliers and the scope referred to was contiguous 48 states, but New York is consistently below California by a not insignificant margin in most rankings of highest cost of living states.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.png
    IMG_4300.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4306.png
    IMG_4306.png
    572 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4305.jpeg
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4302.png
    IMG_4302.png
    275.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4303.png
    IMG_4303.png
    252 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4304.png
    IMG_4304.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I
I feel fortunate to be where I'm at now, and recognize your point. But I've had a very unique career thus far, and would say it evens out in the end. I also realize "Your Mileage May Vary" in terms of experiences. Some people have easier military careers than others. Of course, the definition of 'easy' is subjective, so it's hard to quantify any of this.

I'll never forget spending all of 2010 in Afghanistan. I spent half of it as a LCpl and got promoted to Cpl about half way through. Not married, so no BAH, no family sep pay, etc. Tax free (state and federal), hazard duty pay, etc. My gross (take home, because of no taxes) for that year was under $35k. That's fucking it. A year of being away from family, friends, missing out on everything in life...oh, and not to mention, you're fucking in a combat zone in Afghanistan.

So you're not wrong, and I get what you're saying. I'm also saying that my take home after taxes now is over 3 times that, and I'm doing what I would consider, a 1/4 amount of the work I did those years ago. Sure, I get paid because of my expertise, knowledge, and being able to get stuff done. I recognize there's not a shortcut for experience, and like all trades, you gotta do your time to get to know your craft. But this stuff comes very easy to me, and for me, it's not particularly difficult. I'm on the path to collect over 50k a year (not counting anything from the VA) at 40 years old. Until I die. For not doing anything. With zero limitations on how much, or little, I wish to work afterwards. I'm OK with having paid my dues those early years and few deployments.
I think I'm just a couple years behind you, so I agree. Just wanted to clarify the legal status of differed income vs pension, so it isn't not paid into at all.

That's a whole nuance that is completely lost on current generation not just of recruits buttfucking congress as well.

Changes to the retirement plan and such. Hell they are floating the idea of 22 year min service to be eligible :sad:

Agree and disagree. Comparing contractor pay to the pay you make your first 2 years in is a little short sighted. I've also known a lot of guys that get out and make a stellar life on the outside. Also know a lot that expect that to be handed to them...and they have a rude wake up call.

Fully agree not knocking up a 3 chinned dependa...regardless of your employer :lmao:
I did 9 years 3 months 14 days. I wanted to make a career out of it but I did 5 deployments in 6 years and was done. My last one was a tent in Afghanistan. At that point I started to reevaluate my life choices. They Navy also turned gay around the same time I re-enlisted. I was actually reprimanded because of my fucking tattoos on my arms. I had nothing even remotely offensive at the time. My CMC made me sign a nice little letter stating that I would get no more tattoos visible in uniform. When I was discharged I tossed my entire sea bag in the dumpster on base.

This THREAD is the morass, just like the og was on pbb.

50 pages here, 50 pages there, who gives af anymore.
Fair call. This one has a positive direction and mostly positive outcome. Makes me happy.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh