What's new

Jeep formerly known as 'The Turd'

Spent an interestin' day fuckin' with the thang yesterday. I believe it's a story that needs to be told.

Last Thursday, Tuner #2 here in Jacksonville said he couldn't get 'er dialed in due to the corrupted files in the ECU and recommended I convert over to the Holley EFI ECU for 35 hun'erd bucks installed. Then he could tune it. I reminded 'im that my ECU ran my last hemi perfectly and asked 'im why we couldn't just send the ECU back to Hotwire Auto where I bought it and have them flash it with the baseline programmin' again and then start over with the tunin'. He said it might work and I should bring it back for his second attempt to tune it ... but he really thought I should go with the Holley system. My first day off work after that conversation was yesterday and I had told 'im I'd come fetch the jeep. Meanwhile, between the conversation on Thursday and yesterday, I found another tuner 'bout 30 miles down the road from Tuner #2 and had made an appointment for yesterday afternoon for another opinion.

So yesterday at noon I arrive at Tuner #2 shop. He says it runs a lot better but he can't control it at low rpm's due to the corrupted files. Charged me 250 bucks and said he looked forward to tryin' again after I tried getin' the ECU reprogrammed. And it did run better above 1800 rpm. Showed signs of acceleration that were pleasin'. But still miserable at low rpm's and hard to keep 'er runnin'.

So I eased 'er on down the road to Tuner #3. Updated 'im on progress/lack of progress from Tuner #1 and Tuner #2. He asked if we could plug in his computer and take a ride so he can see what's up. I thought that was an outstandin' suggestion and off we went on 'bout a 20-minute test drive. Soon as I fired up the engine, he confirmed it was idlin' like shit 'cause the low rpm files were corrupted. Then he said my fuel pressure readin's were all over the place so I gotta fuel pressure regulator issue ... and I told 'im that shit was all new. So he told me I must have a leak. Then he said the O2 sensor readin's were all over the place so I gotta sensor issue ... and I told 'im that shit was all new. So he told me I must have a leak. This was all in the first 5 minutes while we were still in town with a 30 mph speed limit. Once we got in a 60 mph zone, he told me to hammer it. So I did. And I thought it was scootin' along right nice. He said computer shows tune's all fucked up and the engine's only producin' a fraction of the horsepower it should. On a side note, he also said was very impressed how rock-solid the jeep handled at 80 mph. Least there's that.

So back at the shop, we open the hood and he quickly finds the fuel leaks from the driver's side injectors and the exhaust leak on the passenger side manifold. Says no way the engine can be tuned with them leaks. Previous tuners were tryin' to overcome the leaks with a computer and it ain't gonna happen. Gotta fix the fuckin' leaks ... and he don't do no wrenchin'. But he works real close with a local engine shop that specializes in hemi's but don't do no tunin'. So I call 'em up and the fella said he'd be more than happy to go through the engine and fix the shit and also provide Tuner #3 with all the info he needed to tune it right ... but they're booked solid 'til May 11th. So I made me an appointment for May 11th.

I tell Tuner #3 I'll drive 'er back to the trailer park and store it till' then. Be a good time to send the ECU back to get it reprogrammed. He loked at me like I was stupid and asked for the contact info at Hotwire. He proceed to email 'em the files of the test run we just took and and asked 'em to compare to the original shit. They quickly responded with a confirmation the files are fucked ... AND ... emailed the original files. No need to ship nothin' nowheres. Seems like maybe I finally done found me a man that's actu'ly interested in makin' the Turd fuckin' run.

He recommended I have 'er towed back to the trailer park 'cause the fuel leaks are an extreme fire hazard and the whole thang could go up in a fireball. I told 'im I could never get that fuckin' lucky and drove 'er on home. And put 'er in the storage area to wait 'til May 11.

But maybe there's hope this time on Round #3.

We'll see.

It's nice to find somebody that actually gives a fuck about their work and can back up what they're mouth spits out isn't it...

Good luck!

Sucks hearing your bad luck with different tuner shops.
Hopefully the last one will do the trick.

Damn that sucks, but it does sound like you found a good tuner.

It's nice to find somebody that actually gives a fuck about their work and can back up what they're mouth spits out isn't it...

Good luck!

Sucks hearing your bad luck with different tuner shops.
Hopefully the last one will do the trick.

Thanks gentlemen. I'm really lookin' forward to gettin' this shit behind me and just drivin' the damned thang again.

Time for a LS swap? 😂

What a brilliant fuckin' idea!

Let's yank out a brand-spanky new high-performance 392 Hemi and drop in an LS. But wait ... there's more. The Mopar transmission ain't gonna work with an LS so let's just put a new transmission in it too.

I vote we just let the Hemi shop fix the leaks and then let Tuner #3 make it scream.

Thanks gentlemen. I'm really lookin' forward to gettin' this shit behind me and just drivin' the damned thang again.

What a brilliant fuckin' idea!

Let's yank out a brand-spanky new high-performance 392 Hemi and drop in an LS. But wait ... there's more. The Mopar transmission ain't gonna work with an LS so let's just put a new transmission in it too.

I vote we just let the Hemi shop fix the leaks and then let Tuner #3 make it scream.
Fuck, its not our money. LOL

I'm keepin' the faith. It's all I can do.

Tuner #3 made the comment I'm gonna need wheelie bars on the back of it when he's done.

That gives me hope.
well... now you need video of this doing a wheelie... for science.

Just scratchin' off days on the calender.

It goes to the Hemi shop on May 11th to get the leaks fixed. Then Tuner #3 is gonna see if he can tune it.

Just from you brief description I can tell Tuner #3 and the guys at the Hemi shop are the right people for the job. It sounds like you will be all fixed up after this round of repairs & tuning. :smokin:

Thank you sir. Reckon we'll find out next week. Finally time for my engine appointment come Tuesday.

Prob'ly shoulda had the local Hemi shop swap the damn engine in the first place instead of just havin' 'em clean up the mess.

So dropped 'er off this mornin'. Hard to start and hard to keep runnin' ... but I got 'er there.

20210511_Stage6 Motorsports.jpg

This shop says they can get the leaks fixed and get 'er tuned.

We'll see.

Parkin' lot was full of drag-racin' Grand Cherokees. They know Hemi's.

That's who I figured it was.....that is why asked who a while back. I use to race with/against some of those guys back in 2011. They know their shit!

Hope they can make it run again. Part of me wishes I had just kept dumpin' oil in the old engine. It ran great.

No word from them yet. If'n I don't hear nothin' by tomorrow, then I'll give 'em a call.

So the clusterfuck continues.

Tuner #3 was correct about the leaks.

And the Hemi shop has now fixed the leaks. So all good there.

But Tuner #3 hasn't answered my emails or phone calls in over 2 weeks. But Hemi shop says that ain't no problem 'cause they got their own tuner dude. So Tuner #4 gave it a shot Thursday. And at the end of the day, he said he didn't wanna have nothin' to do with it. Says can't be tuned 'cause the brain's for a 2009 Charger 5.7 and it needs to be a 2011 Challenger 6.4 with a 6-speed manual.

I told the Hemi shop to get with HotWire Auto and get the fuckin' brain changed. Or buy a new fuckin' brain. Or steal a fuckin' brain out of a fuckin' Challenger for all I care. I flat-out don't give a fuck ... just make my god-damn jeep run.

Hemi shop says they got Tuner #5 lined up for Monday and he specializes in Hemi JK's and works with Dodge and AEV to make their conversions work.

We'll see.

Meanwhile ... I gotta fire investigater in my club that says if'n a fella lights a bag of Frito's on fire under the dash there's no residue left behind to prove arson and the fire is written off as an electrical fire.

Gonna call my insurance agent on Monday to check my coverage. :smokin:

What was the brain out of when you were running the old engine? I'm starting to lose track.

Sounds like tuner 5 could be a good thing or just a blank stare. I wouldn't call your rig the typical AEV conversion ride.

I have my fingers crossed for ya though.

Same brain I had before.

I'm confident that eventually I can find someone that can make it run. Just can't be that tough.

It's crazy that they can't just drop a program from a hemi challenger with a manual onto your existing brain. It really boggles my mind that the factory wouldn't just buy thousands of the same computers for their cars and just program each one for that individual setup instead of using different hardware for different models.

Well, even when it comes to LS engines, there are many different versions of the same ECU. The factory isn't making the ECU's, they're just making the contractor build 20 different flavors of the same thing. In the end, if the factory can save a penny per vehicle, it adds up in the long run.

Maybe the title of the tread should change to the turd redux… 🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻

It's crazy that they can't just drop a program from a hemi challenger with a manual onto your existing brain.

That's what I keep sayin'. Evidently it takes some sorta special computer to do it. I'm pretty sure that HotWire can do it though.

What I've learned so far is the biggest fuckin' problem is tryin' to find someone that actu'ly gives a shit enough to do more than a standard, quick tune. The Hemi shop did say they'd at least call HotWire to confirm if'n they can modify the brain I got or just buy another one. Hopefully somethin' positive will come outta that call. Seems like the tune is doable if'n we can just get the proper base programmin'.

Maybe the title of the tread should change to the turd redux… 🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻

Believe it or not ... this is a minor issue compared to all the shit I done been through already. Get the tune right and she'll be extremely bad-ass.

At what point do you rip out the efi and put a Holly carb on this thing??? :lmao:

Let's call it after Tuner #12.

Top Back Refresh