What's new

Jeep formerly known as 'The Turd'

Runs like a mother-fuckin' raped ape. :smokin:

Absolutely fuckin' outstandin' to get 'er back to 'er natural habitat ... in front of my local dive bar.

20210603_Running again!.jpg

So the key was that the Chrysler Tuner #6 Dude was able to fuck with shit in my brain that ain't accessable by the reg'lar HP Tuner folks and he was able to unfuck what Tuner #1 fucked up. Cheers to Stage6 Motorsports for actu'ly givin' a fuck enough to make 'er run! :beer:

She still has a serious lurchin' action if'n ya try to crawl at like 1500 rpm. Power thru it no problem at all. But don't crawl. Tuner #6 Dude showed me on the computer where the brain is functionin' perfect durin' the event. He believes there's somethin' in the driveshaft/suspension causin' the issue ... not the brain. And to prove it, we drove in reverse with no issue at all. So now I need to put 'er in the local jeep shop to see if'n we can find some sorta issue.

But meanwhile ... gonna just drive the piss out of 'er for awhile.

Got the dyno sheet and I'll post up tomorrow with some comparisons to the stroker.

outstanding! Glad to see you out having a beer again (don't believe you quit, just quit with the stories from disgustipation with the jeep)

I just drive 'em sir.

And this mornin' I drove 'er to the local custom jeep shop. They determined there's nuthin' wrong with the driveline/suspension that is causin' the ungawdly lurchin' action at below 1800 rpm.

The jeep shop hemi guy says I got too big a cam and she'll never run that low. He suggests we put a stock cam in it and my problems will disappear.

Tryin' now to get a second opinion from the hemi shop that did the tune.

Here's the cam card I got from Arrington Performance:

cam card pic.jpg

I just drive 'em sir.

And this mornin' I drove 'er to the local custom jeep shop. They determined there's nuthin' wrong with the driveline/suspension that is causin' the ungawdly lurchin' action at below 1800 rpm.

The jeep shop hemi guy says I got too big a cam and she'll never run that low. He suggests we put a stock cam in it and my problems will disappear.

Tryin' now to get a second opinion from the hemi shop that did the tune.

Here's the cam card I got from Arrington Performance:

cam card pic.jpg

Why would the problem only show up in forward and not reverse if it's supposedly the cam causing the issue. Makes no sense in my mind...

That's a healthy cam. If ya do swap it, I'd just tone it down a bit, not go all the way to stock. Something that puts the hit in the low/mid range.

Why would the problem only show up in forward and not reverse if it's supposedly the cam causing the issue. Makes no sense in my mind...

My guess would be that reverse is a low enough ratio to get it past the lurching point quick enough to not notice it.

I'd be interested to know how it does in low range.

At this point, I believe I'm gonna change out the cam and also change over to the Holley ECU system while the engine's out.

Doubt the shop can do it for a month or two though. Gonna try to find out today when they can get to it.

My LS powered buggy was lurching while crawling after I built it. I had the MAF meter mounted at the air filter with some tube and a silicone 90 degree elbow between it and the throttle body. Moving the MAF next to the throttle body eliminated most of the lurching. We had to drill a 3/16 hole in the throttle blade after the stroker motor with a Texas speed cam was swapped in. A torque converter that has too low of a stall for the cam can cause issues like that.

Done spent the mornin' at the hemi shop yesterday talkin' strategy. They're a race shop so I had to emphasize that I don't wanna 8 sec quarter-mile jeep ... I wanna 8 minute quarter-mile jeep. Current thought is that the cam is the cause of the low-rpm lurchin' and replacin' it with some sorta truck/RV cam will cure it.

And after drivin' it for a week or so on my daily commute, another glitch pops up 'round 3.000 to 3,500 rpm that seems like a fuel delivery problem. Chrysler Tuner #6 Dude admitted he wasn't able to completely unfuck my brain but he thought he had worked around all the issues. Reckon not. All seem to agree that gettin' shed of the Chrysler shit and goin' with the Holley Terminator system is in my best int'rest.

So ...

Hemi shop's gonna research what cam I need and get 'er bought. They're gonna provide me with a quote for both the cam and Holley EFI ECU system ... and a date for shop availability. We're hopin' for early next month.

We'll see.

So the search for some kinda low-end truck/RV cam weren't goin' too well. Evidently Competition Cams actu'ly makes what they call a "Rock Crawler" cam ... but not for my engine.

But they said they could custom grind one for me. :smokin:

5 hun'erd sixty bucks and 2- 3 weeks to do it.

The Holley system is on back-order for 3 weeks.

So cam and EFI ECU are paid for and done made an appointment for 03 August to get 'em both installed. Consensus is this combination will fix the engine issues.

Meanwhile ... just keep enjoyin' the hell outta my daily commute in 'er. :beer:

Which Holley system did you go with? I'm looking at the Terminator X 550-917 and it's 3-4 weeks out too.

Now you'll have a problem with keeping the front tires on the ground.:flipoff2:

Sounds like a good move.

Which Holley system did you go with? I'm looking at the Terminator X 550-917 and it's 3-4 weeks out too.

I bought the Terminator X as well. Evidently it's suppossed to be user friendly to tune and somehow self adjustin' to altitude changes.

Now you'll have a problem with keeping the front tires on the ground.:flipoff2:

Gotta admit it's damned temptin' to run 'er up to 5 or 6 grand and dump the clutch just to see if'n she'd actu'ly lift the front end.

But I don't ... 'cause with my luck I'd fuckin' grenade somethin' and have even more shit on my work list. :shaking:

Drivin' 'er ev'ry day to work. And absolutely enjoyin' the fuck out of it.

Runs like a raped ape as long as ya power thru 1200 - 2000 rpm and 3000 - 3500 rpm. Ain't burned nary a drop of oil.

Turned 28k miles since the new gauges were installed. 4500 miles on new engine.

A/C don't work.

Half the stereo speakers don't work ... so I just use the head section as a clock.

Paint on the driver's door has cracked and looks like shit.

Goes back in the local Hemi shop 03 August for new cam and brain.

After that, will plug away at the other issues. :smokin:

Honestly don't know.

Off work tomorrow so gonna drive down to the shop and confirm parts are in and we're still lined up for next week.

The cam and the Holley system have both arrived ... and I'm still on the shop schedule for next Tuesday.

But after drivin' 'er the last 6 weeks or so, I'm strugglin' to believe the cam is part of the issue. Just acts like a fuel delivery issue to me. The shop was interested to hear me out and the plan now is to swap out the Chrysler ECM with the Holley system and then try to tune 'er. If'n that don't do the trick, we'll go ahead and swap the cam out next and tune 'er again.

I think that's smart.

If you can, get the fuel pressure sensor for the Holley and datalog the car when driving around. Between this,, the AFR and the injector duty cycles it will absolutely tell you if you have fuel pressure issues.

Pressure sensor is 554-102 and should bolt up to the Holley Harness directly. You just need an adapter for your fuel rail port.

Top Back Refresh