What's new

Irate KoH Recap

Laundry after the hammers lol
8F36C893-2801-4777-955E-194D0D6B3A41.jpeg

Sorry that i wasn’t able to see any of y’all. We were super focused on prerunning and making sure we finally got a finish (which we still didn’t in either race). Starlink worked amazingly well the entire 16ish days I was there. Definitely was worth the cost. I’ll do a race report soon, but here’s a couple pics of our races (my wife Alex did get to finish 4th with our buddy Fast Felix in the class 11 showdown)
367BCD50-4749-4AE1-BC11-0DCA4B229556.jpeg
E81C6970-183B-4058-8480-AB7CB3A4EA49.jpeg
64864235-8385-4B5C-B6EE-114CB3A5EFF8.jpeg

After the 4400 race, the Blyler‘s decided to give away body panels from their vehicles with their autographs. My granddaughter got one, then she boldly asked Tom Wayes and Raul Gomez for body panels off their cars. She bet Raul she could tell him where he got his shoes for that panel on his car he lost the bet when she told him “you got them on your feet”. She ended up with panels from all three cars and a hat with autographs from Raul, Jason, both Blyler‘s, and Tom Wayes.
633D99EA-3712-4F74-A702-32AEED822DA8.jpeg
804B6A84-26C9-407A-B540-F547DE546DBB.jpeg
6CC3CE5A-1ABF-4C51-BF53-DB41562C0233.jpeg

I swear Marlin has been wearing that same jacket for 25 years. It's gonna' be a sad day when he leaves us.
True, I was really glad to be able to spend a few minutes conversing with him. Pretty sure I took a picture of him wearing that jacket back in 2014 in the springs.

Our trip was short- we only had a few days to take our 5 year old out of school and basketball, and get me away from work for a short time. A while back I asked the kids if they wanted to watch some rock racing, or some trophy trucks. At the time they were on a trophy truck kick so we headed down the Friday before the desert races and drove home the Tuesday after that(juust in time to many anything other than UTV power hour).

I was blown away by the amount of traffic that was already rolling in this early in the week:
ZvxO83Wh.jpg

The kids were practically bouncing off the walls of the motorhome with excitement, but somehow they managed to hold it together while we found camp and got setup.
6Ylqazxh.jpg

In the morning we headed in the hammer town to look at some racecars and watch some of the slower classes leave the start. The kids were all in and I think this moment pretty much made the trip for my wife and I.
h6NRdCQh.jpg

We also cruised around hammer town for a bit and the kids got to play in some cool stuff.
DB1PgtTh.jpg

After that we set out across the desert to go see some desert trucks attempt heartbreak hill..... except I made it about 200 yards away from where people were camped and had my rear driveshaft blow up going slow through some pretty mild whoops. Don't think the whoops caused it, but probably my last local trip where I was trying to do wheelies on a metal teetertotter might have started the breakage and I didn't notice. Lucky for me, it broke at the centering yoke of the double cardan joint(I know, I know, it's going away soon). I pulled the driveshaft and drove back to camp in fwd. I was able to salvage the driveshaft with a new centering yoke, a new u joint, and some new bolts from a nearby napa. The cool part was the guys at the BFG Garage offered to put everything back together for me and even install it in the jeep for free.
9mDT9n1h.jpg

One of my fellow BFG Garage Refugees:
aZeaw0Sh.jpg

It was pretty awesome to get to keep my kids entertained while someone else worked on my jeep.
czZMNEmh.jpg

One of my buddies has a pretty dialed in axial crawler and my 2.5 year old is good enough with RCs that he trusted him to drive it around the axial course.
09Lx0hUh.jpg

That debacle took all day, but once it got sorted, we took her for a sunset shakedown cruise.
ehHyYQGh.jpg

One of our buddies at camp is racing 4400 and he's pretty much our kid's hero, but more because of his exploits in this rig than racing
ZH4qLmeh.jpg

The next morning it was full speed ahead to have some actual KOH fun. The TTs were starting at noon, so we took a quick rip out to Turkey Claw. There was a crowd parked at the entrance, but no one on the course (maybe they thought it was closed?) so my buddy and I got it all to ourselves. We ripped up it quick before anyone else figured out it was open. Then had a chance to stop for a beer as the flood gates opened behind us.
lbHCx8uh.jpg

We had just enough time to head back to hammer town, grab a pizza, and watch the trucks stage
SxS9nT5h.jpg

The monster booth didn't have the best action for watching the start since the desert race was going the opposite way, but I had a sneaky spot to watch:

After that we had our own "desert race" out to watch everyone hit the Baldwin leap. I turned around and missed the one truck that sent it. :homer: (My youngest actually napped in the jeep the entire time this went on...so I'm stoked I'm still able to run a soft top and doors)

After that, the kids were smoked and the shadows were getting long, so we headed back to camp.

The next morning one of our local-ish buddies took us out to a trail called Blueberry. Hadn't done that one before. It had some good technical spots.
JAxASDWh.jpg

Back for lunch, and then we went with all the recovery homies to pre-run thor's hammer so they could figure out where the winching spots should be and who was going to park their rig where during the race.

Bottom of big johnson on the way in:
yAktLp9h.jpg

Headed up Thor's
mIX1ITFh.jpg

We got to the top of that trail just as the sun went down
wwjNdV8h.jpg

Annnd, that was it! Other than some night time turkey claw laps, and some minibike action around the lakebed, that was my KOH this year... and it was awesome, because my kids loved every minute of it and want to come back next year.
Wv7cqXsh.jpg

g90N2qDh.jpg

Packed up and headed home
dfKkDN0h.jpg

Drakeslayer thats awesome on the panels and very quick witted for her on Gomez. Bet he’ll remember that time he won and got swindled for a panel :lmao: If she doesn’t have enough room for all those panels I’d gladly pay for one for our little dudes room. Would look mighty nice next to Pitbullcruiser old number plate.

Sandy Johnson awesome write up and cool to see the kiddos involvement as well as ages. Eventually we will make the trip out with our little dude so seeing the ages help a lot.

Last edited:
Sandy Johnson awesome write up and cool to see the kiddos involvement as well as ages. Eventually we will make the trip out with our little dude so seeing the ages help a lot.

The 5 year old is leaps and bounds easier to take out there. I'd do a solo trip with him right now. For the 2.5 year old, 2 parents and an RV are highly recommended.

Also we had the added piece that there were 1-2 vehicles in camp that, when they fire up or come rolling into camp, I had to teach our kids to run like hell for the nearest RV(can't say trailer because there was one flatbed those vehicles liked to get a little air off of)or an adult.

Those light up shoes, glow sticks, and a little headlamp for night time are good to have too.

The 5 year old is leaps and bounds easier to take out there. I'd do a solo trip with him right now. For the 2.5 year old, 2 parents and an RV are highly recommended.

Also we had the added piece that there were 1-2 vehicles in camp that, when they fire up or come rolling into camp, I had to teach our kids to run like hell for the nearest RV(can't say trailer because there was one flatbed those vehicles liked to get a little air off of)or an adult.

Those light up shoes, glow sticks, and a little headlamp for night time are good to have too.
That’s great info all around.

What kind of MPG do you get out of the motorhome when loaded like that?

That’s great info all around.

What kind of MPG do you get out of the motorhome when loaded like that?
This thing is funny. Unloaded I get like 8.6 mpg. Loaded down like that... 8.0 or 8.1 mpg.

It MIGHT be that when I'm not towing I'm going 75 and when I am I'm going 55 - 60?

All in all, I'm really happy with whatever version of v10 and transmission this is(its a 2017). It kicks ass. Last year I surprised some of my diesel buddies by not getting dropped over the grade into Mojave. We all thought I was going to get left in the dust.

This is a troll thread…. I was there from Sunday to Sunday and didn’t spot one Irate member….. not even a flag!!!!! None of you really exist except in the internet’s!!!!
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I went alone…. Jeep JK, a cooler… some tools and dried fruit and nuts!!!! Failed miserably on finding jerky/pepperoni spot on the drive down….
I packed 2 six packs of good Washington beer in case I ran into one of you guys…. Saturday night Ended up stopping in at Pellegrino’s pit and giving it to them!!!!
About $500.00 in fuel will get a guy and a JK to hammers and back from Washington!!!

Saw this guy on the way back….
475B166F-5B02-48E4-BA96-3A491CBC8807.jpeg

Great time…. Would highly recommend…. Don’t make excuses!!!!!

And as always, packed more garbage out than I took in!!!
:smokin::smokin::smokin:

This is a troll thread…. I was there from Sunday to Sunday and didn’t spot one Irate member….. not even a flag!!!!! None of you really exist except in the internet’s!!!!
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I went alone…. Jeep JK, a cooler… some tools and dried fruit and nuts!!!! Failed miserably on finding jerky/pepperoni spot on the drive down….
I packed 2 six packs of good Washington beer in case I ran into one of you guys…. Saturday night Ended up stopping in at Pellegrino’s pit and giving it to them!!!!
About $500.00 in fuel will get a guy and a JK to hammers and back from Washington!!!

Saw this guy on the way back….
475B166F-5B02-48E4-BA96-3A491CBC8807.jpeg

Great time…. Would highly recommend…. Don’t make excuses!!!!!

And as always, packed more garbage out than I took in!!!
:smokin::smokin::smokin:
You should have brought a 12 pack of exclamation marks over to 221 griffin express. There’s a thread in the race forum where everyone said where they could be found.

This thing is funny. Unloaded I get like 8.6 mpg. Loaded down like that... 8.0 or 8.1 mpg.

It MIGHT be that when I'm not towing I'm going 75 and when I am I'm going 55 - 60?

All in all, I'm really happy with whatever version of v10 and transmission this is(it’s a 2017). It kicks ass. Last year I surprised some of my diesel buddies by not getting dropped over the grade into Mojave. We all thought I was going to get left in the dust.
Good info there.

Top Back Refresh