Irate KoH Recap

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
Damn ... what a good time!

From an Irate standpoint ....

• The wife and I had media passes, we went to get our vests Wednesday and was told they were out. Apparently they ordered 500 and got 100 in. There are way better photographers out there then either of us so I didn't make a big deal about not getting one. Would have been nice to get out there to get pics of the 170 class races, after it started I noticed there were not many photographers out there.
  • Rather than taking pics we spent most of the time walking around talking to people about the site. In hindsight thats probably what the site needed more. So many members stopped me or came by camp to say hi. I couldn't even list them all. It was pretty awesome talk to everybody and hear about them taking the time to find each other around the lakebed. Next year we'll set up a dedicated meet-n-greet or ride or something, would make things a lot easier/faster for members to connect.
  • Given the current parts counter issues I talked to several vendors about being a direct vendor. Two years ago most said no, this community must be doing something right because I think we'll be carrying a few brands directly before long. I have to reach out to them to talk further this week. I may set up a group buy forum to get in with some of these companies. More later.
  • Keith Silva (EV Class) came by camp and we had a few beers. Listening to some of the stuff he had to learn to build an EV rig was super interesting. Not just about the build, unexpected last min comms interference, how to charge the packs or swap them. He had me hooked. I talked to him about this place and the recent vote for an EV forum but we don't have any EV builds to populate it. He and his wife were stoked to be the first build in there and share everything they learned along the way. I'm looking forward to kicking that off when they get home and signed up.
  • The kids racing was .... awesome! Not sure if it was the dad in me or what but watching the racers go around dirt track was awesome. I had seen pics from Pitbullcruiser and tribal4krawler kids racing but was not prepared for the start of that race. Arickvan, my wife and I were there at the start. The racers follow the pace car and as it pulls off the sound that comes from those little cars took us by surprise. The title modified cars were even getting a bit sideways in the corners. Hell even the drivers meeting was neat to see. All the parents and the dads with their shit-eat'n grins (pride) as their kid answered questions about their rig/class was great. So cool for those kids, I just hope Ford stays out of that class. :laughing:

From a personal viewpoint ....

Took the wife this year, we let the house 3:30AM STL time and rolled into KoH about 2PM CA time. We rented a camper and SxS to sleep and get around JV with. The couple we rented the camper from lied (or had no clue) about being able to use the 110 outlets along with the big solar array it had, which is why we went to Vegas for that one. Since there was no inverter I couldn't run the Starlink 24/7. When we did run the generator, it did pretty well (35-50MB) considering how many were out there. They were everywhere.

The golf cart rental was fun, it was a 4 seater Polaris Dynamix. First time I've been in a go fast, only ever been in utility type on the farm. Rented it from Desert Ready Offroad, they delivered right to camp so that that awesome. Would certainly recommend them, owner's name was Alex and he' was a cool guy. Didn't take it on any trails but flew around the lakebed to look at various spectating points.

The bars/food at and near The Forty were a nice touch, it was cool to take a quick run up for lunch and drink. Would be awesome to have 5-6 others around JV to run out to.

I took my wife to the drivers meeting for the kids classes, she quickly figured out my motive there and was impressed. We were sitting there on the outside of the pack and could see out the door. A 10ish year old girl, I didn't catch her name, pulled her rig right up by the door, climbed out in her fire suit and HANS device, took her helmet off and flung her braid around and all the parents around are like .. damn ... she's gotta have a PR team working with her :lmao:. Anyway ... my oldest is currently about 2"fro reaching the peddles of a Polaris 200 ... once she grows to close that gap momma bear has give the OK to get her on the track :smokin:. That alone made my KoH.

I stopped to look at an awesome Unimog and ran into a group of Dancing sharks who were just having a blast on Boone Rd. These guys were a riot. They eventually noticed my irate hoodie and asked if it's some sort BS pirate knock off. Told them the story and they were stoked to hear everybody moved here, turns out they were responsible for a lot of shenanigans on the old site. Think ... PBB sticker on tombstones :laughing:. They'll be on soon. :beer:

My single biggest regret was not getting into the pits to see of the racers from here. The days were busy and by the time I got down there in the evenings most pits/camps were closed up. I have to admit, I was a bit lost this year in there as well. Seemed like 1/2 the pits didn't have garages on the 'street' and I wandered around looking for somebody that had not pit lol. Sorry I didn't get to come say hey but I, as well as the whole site, appreciate you guys rock'n the irate stickers on your rigs. :smokin:

I know there were people in our camp that broke ... alot .. yet always got fixed and back out on the trail. How did the rest of you fair? Pics or it didn't happen :flipoff2:

Attachments

• D1F2F299-0465-484E-9E5C-5EB0CE4BD44F.JPG
    D1F2F299-0465-484E-9E5C-5EB0CE4BD44F.JPG
    647.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_7114.JPG
    IMG_7114.JPG
    966 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7116.JPG
    IMG_7116.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7126.JPG
    IMG_7126.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7147.JPG
    IMG_7147.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7149.JPG
    IMG_7149.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
:smokin: it was cool to meet some members face to face

I thought it was great when they would come into a camp full of non iraters and introduce themselves with their username :laughing:

Shout out to Honky Lips and vetteboy79 you caught me buzzed on beer, then the moonshine man came and we found Austin after

Shout out to 84broncoii? And Willis something?? You caught me on a tequila night sorry:laughing::laughing:

And shout out to DuckTape I wasn't at camp when you came by

Oh ya and I met Hodgiemoto over at Pitbullcruiser pit

If I'm forgetting anyone one else I'm sorry, it was a long week of dust and drinking, I'm still a bit fuzzy on everything

I headed down on the 28th. I lost my trailer lights along the way and a random wheeler stopped by to help. He took me to his shop and we diagnosed the problem and got me on my way. Thanks John!

Arrived on the lakebed on the 29th at 11pm and went to bed. Slowly our team started arriving. Our goal was to run all the rock trails as many times as possible in our wheelers. On the first day we were running Thor's Hammer and Dave Cole yelled at us and told us to stop beating our shit. He was setting up a winch point on the trail. He told us there was no way we could drive the main line in our beat ass trail wheelers. We proceeded to prove him wrong.

After dinner on Monday one of the guys in our group proposed at the top of Chocolate Thunder. That was pretty cool. (she said yes).

We proceeded to run rock trails for a couple days until Anthony showed up with the race car. We ran the desert loop twice. On the second time, the upper rear link mount broke on the 4807 car so we spent the day rescuing, fixing and rebuilding the rear shocks. On the third time, our prerunner car broke a front upper link so again, we had to spend the day on a rescue mission at race mile 40. A couple long and shitty days.

4881 had fueling issues so we spent a day fixing that. The foam in the tank was clogging the filters so we spent a morning cleaning the tank and obtaining new filters.

Went to watch the Ultra 3 race. That was a blast.
During the T1 race, we ran rock trails, I decided to tap out early and drive back to camp. We ended up on race course during the T1 race. :homer:I'm amazed we didn't get nerfed off the course. Those fuckers come up fast. That night we went to pre run Chocolate Thunder. Broke the engagement collar on the ARB in the front diff. We spent the night installing a spool in the diff in order to make qualifying on time.

We qualifed well. 4861 was 8th row and I don't rightly remember 4807 and 4881.

Race day I was crew chief at Pit 1. 4861 was running in the top 10. We got him fueled and out in 15 seconds. 4881 blew a tire and came in for a spare. 45 second pit stop.

4807 had a nasty end over end into multiple barrel roll. We packed up the pits and went to get a trailer to rescue him. The car looks very good for what it went through.

4861 broke a shaft and tapped out of the race before we had a chance to convince him to keep going.

4881 finished overall 11th, 7th in class.

Partied with Austin and wife on Friday night, and packed up for home on saturday morning.

Wife and I decided we're going next year, short of an emergency. Just need to figure out a camper of some sort.

What's the rate for a modest camp trailer for the week? Nothing giant, just something with a regular bed, shower, shitter, ect.

Looked for you, did you have an Irate flag or sign? Was also looking for a unimog with Irate stickers, guess that was a futile search.
Just at camp. The mog is getting a new motor and cab on it right now. It will be there next year.

For as many irates as I met, I missed a bunch obviously. Need to attempt a meet n greet next year somehow.
We 100% will.

What's the rate for a modest camp trailer for the week? Nothing giant, just something with a regular bed, shower, shitter, ect.
We picked up a 24' (26'?) one in Vegas from Tu-Sa for $1,600. Since we flew in, we paid for a bunch of extras like airport pickup, chairs, not having to empty the tanks or fill the gas or propane back up. They also required us to get the extra $33/day insurance since it was being driven 'off-road'. I've used rvshare.com both times I've gone. They can be had for cheaper, just try and book as soon as the dates are announced.

Looked all over for your mog... while I was going other places.

That girl in the 170 is one of my best friends daughters... im sure she would love an Irate sponsorship as her first.

The two kids that cartwheeled closest to the monster kid was another friends kid and his co -driver. We were all laughing becouse everyone else pulled the passenger seat to save weight but he wanted his friend to ride with him.

There was one more blue car that belongs to a third friends son but it didnt do anything spectacular.

Did you watch ultra 3? That was one of the most intense awsome things on the lake.

Just at camp. The mog is getting a new motor and cab on it right now. It will be there next year.

We 100% will.

We picked up a 24' (26'?) one in Vegas from Tu-Sa for $1,600. Since we flew in, we paid for a bunch of extras like airport pickup, chairs, not having to empty the tanks or fill the gas or propane back up. They also required us to get the extra $33/day insurance since it was being driven 'off-road'. I've used rvshare.com both times I've gone. They can be had for cheaper, just try and book as soon as the dates are announced.

$1600 isn't horrible. Except having to go 4 hours to get it. We'd be pulling a crawler down, so that would be a 9 hour round trip both times right after and before driving for 2 days :laughing:

I think 06h3 did something similar, but from much closer?

We want to pick up another cab over, just don't know if that will happen by next year, but maybe we'll just make that a goal. :laughing:

Man what a week. Just got home. 26 hours each way. It’s amazing how huge it is. And you absolutely will not see anyone unless you know where they are!

JR4X it was great to meet and chat and that’s a cool ride!

Arickvan and Austin and mrs. Austin it was a pleasure.

vetteboy79 was our adopted camp mate and passenger for a few days. He’s an awesome guy and a good photographer
38465077-2C06-40FD-8302-2CD02A5F38E3.jpeg

Heard my screen name yelled a couple times which was funny every time.

Overall take. That was intense!

Except having to go 4 hours to get it. We'd be pulling a crawler down, so that would be a 9 hour round trip both times right after and before driving for 2 days :laughing:

I think @06h3 did something similar, but from much closer?

We want to pick up another cab over
Well we flew into Vegas so thats why, the previous trip the couple dropped it off at the top of Boone Rd for me for like $100.

You can rent cab overs too, then you could pick it up almost anywhere along the way

Man what a week. Just got home. 26 hours each way. It’s amazing how huge it is. And you absolutely will not see anyone unless you know where they are!

JR4X it was great to meet and chat and that’s a cool ride!

Arickvan and Austin and mrs. Austin it was a pleasure.

vetteboy79 was our adopted camp mate and passenger for a few days. He’s an awesome guy and a good photographer
Heard my screen name yelled a couple times which was funny every time.

Overall take. That was intense!

Well, did you make it? :flipoff2:

Well we flew into Vegas so thats why, the previous trip the couple dropped it off at the top of Boone Rd for me for like $100.

Thats the way to go :smokin:

You can rent cab overs too, then you could pick it up almost anywhere along the way

Meh, if you're renting, may as well go with something much bigger than a cab over. But good to know.

Wife and I decided we're going next year, short of an emergency. Just need to figure out a camper of some sort.

A friend found a rental camp trailer for $90 a day. I sleep in Yucca Valley at a hotel and drive a rental back and forth. About 40 minute drive each way. I have camped on the lakebed 2 years (2007-2008) and its too dusty for me.

Nice! Thx for sharing.

Still on my list to make it to. Maybe in a year....?

Friday Night to Friday Morning

Earliest and longest I’ve been. Also been a few years since I made it. New truck dragged the Crawler Hauler and CanAm comfortably. Got coordinates to camp with some old friends towards Turkey Claw while on the way.

Went with low expectations and ready to take it easy. Cruised around the valley most days, out about 200 miles on the SxS total. First time having a toy there was way better than even a capable truck. But I want the buggy there next time.

Shootout in front of the Jumbotron then over to Ultra3 on Tuesday was super solid. Backdoor was almost non-stop for the 4 hours I spent hanging out watching on Thursday.

Running low on energy, food, water; so decided to head out after watching my buddy take off on his EMC Co-Dawg start.

W*** Sunday into Monday was rough, dusted the camper pretty good. Details on start times, qualifying orders, start orders were a struggle all week. Camper needs some fixes and changes and upgrades.

Looking forward to next year. :flipoff2:

6ACBFECD-7E35-44AE-9CB5-27800EACF326.jpeg
E8F2E7E6-24D0-4F94-B050-33B15369C9BA.jpeg
1EA8C8A6-3327-47F2-A409-0D4C3DCA0612.jpeg
94D0FA5D-8F5B-4572-8EF7-857C3B18D5EB.jpeg
39F6BF14-28D2-408C-B8A6-DE14B3FC0282.jpeg
D5075ED2-AEF0-483A-89B7-085D8D634E04.jpeg
928250C7-1B36-49DB-B4A1-66C69F9D7305.jpeg
A1E41F65-C0F9-4186-BFFA-D9CBC8221EDD.jpeg
DE988AC6-8449-4684-8650-AD7ABB11652A.jpeg

We were out there Wednesday till Saturday morning. Saw a couple people but didn't talk to anyone :flipoff2:. A meet up would be awesome next year.

We showed up in time to make it to the 4400 power hour. Great way to start the time on the lakebed. We were camped just somewhere on the bottom.
camp.jpg

Went to backdoor Thursday. Good time watching all the crazy stuff happen.
backdoor.jpg

Watched some of the UTV's come down Turkey Claw, then cruised over to Sledge. Watched start of EMC come threw Sledge then went over to Chocolate Thunder to catch the stock class coming down. Saw 84 Bronco II leaving when we got there. Only watched the start of 4400 then got on the road.

Overall a great time. The amount of people is wild. Can't wait for next year.

Top Back Refresh