What's new

Interesting tools for sale.

Afraid that bgaidan will out bid me on this... Much want.

Interesting, but 36hp electric rules it out for most of us home gamers.

I'm watching a local auction with a decent condition but used hydraulic Woodmizer.....doesn't end until the end of the month and it's already bid up to $25k. :eek: Fucking stupid tryin to buy shit right now.

I'm watching a local auction with a decent condition but used hydraulic Woodmizer.....doesn't end until the end of the month and it's already bid up to $25k. :eek: Fucking stupid tryin to buy shit right now.

When I posted the resaw, it was $510….. figure 350 for a used converter… boom… nicely cut boards.

I think it’s close to $2k now and I expect it’ll close around $5-6k. Still a good deal… but out of my range

Speak for yourself. :flipoff2:.

IMO bare bones manual mills like the HF are the way to go for people like us. We can powered feed and hydraulic clamps that are tailored to our use cases for not much money, especially considering how much of that junk most of us have around.

IMO bare bones manual mills like the HF are the way to go for people like us. We can powered feed and hydraulic clamps that are tailored to our use cases for not much money, especially considering how much of that junk most of us have around.

I have a WoodlandMills. It’s a nice, manual unit.

But a resaw would increase production, I’d guess, by 300-400%. That unit is automated enough to take an 8”x8” beam and turn it into consistent boardwood.

When I posted the resaw, it was $510….. figure 350 for a used converter… boom… nicely cut boards.

I think it’s close to $2k now and I expect it’ll close around $5-6k. Still a good deal… but out of my range
36 hp is not running on a $350 phase converter.

American Rotary says that needs a 75hp rotary.....which requires a 200a breaker. :eek: That's an $8500 phase converter. Even building it you're going to spend a couple grand by the time you find a used 75hp motor, all the caps and switch gear...plus the 4/0 wire to feed it.

Really only option for the average home user if you scored a saw like that really, really cheap would be to convert it to engine-driven.

You got 400 amp service in your basement?

American Rotary says that needs a 75hp rotary.....which requires a 200a breaker. :eek: That's an $8500 phase converter. Even building it you're going to spend a couple grand by the time you find a used 75hp motor, all the caps and switch gear...plus the 4/0 wire to feed it.

Really only option for the average home user if you scored a saw like that really, really cheap would be to convert it to engine-driven.

The motor plate says “230/460 volts. 69.4/34/7 AMPS” 30 hp

Know idea if that changes anything at all. I know nothing about 3-phase

Big used motors are stupid cheap around here, typically cheaper than 5-10hp motors, though they don't come up all that often. An RPC could be done under a grand. I have a 400A panel but it's got a 200A breaker in it and the meter is 200 so I'd need to do a service upgrade.

Frankly I'd just dump it in a friends yard and let him use it since he's the better wood worker.

The motor plate says “230/460 volts. 69.4/34/7 AMPS” 30 hp

Know idea if that changes anything at all. I know nothing about 3-phase
That'd drop it down to a 60hp RPC and a mere 175 amps. :laughing:

Really, anything over maybe 10 to 15 hp is not going to be friendly for the average home shop. I have a dedicated 200 amp service to my shop, but most people are working with 50 to 100a on a subpanel if they're lucky.

Or a used MEP-004/MEP-005/MEP-006 genset. That would get you 3 phase and keep it portable if needed.

Aaron Z

That'd drop it down to a 60hp RPC and a mere 175 amps. :laughing:

Really, anything over maybe 10 to 15 hp is not going to be friendly for the average home shop. I have a dedicated 200 amp service to my shop, but most people are working with 50 to 100a on a subpanel if they're lucky.
bid is up to $2500 this morning.

and they do have a genset for auction as well. :D

vintage metal countertop lathe. I just bought a drill press from this guy, the lathe has a ton of tooling to go with it. tailstock, pillow blocks, all sorts of dial indiactors and cutters and such. Bet they'd take $500 to get it out of the basement. Grandpa was a machinist, dad was too and both did it on the side at home as well. Now Dad & son are working to clear out the basement.

If you buy it, i wound up with some bits & stuff that go with it. I have ZERO use for a lathe, but it looked to be in great shape

_nc_ohc=3m6FEM3fMr4AX-hWjuv&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

I have ZERO use for a lathe, but it looked to be in great shape
The thing about a lathe, is once you have it, you will always find uses for it and then never know how you lived with out it. That little machine could be quite useful for the minimal space it takes up. Fixing all kinds of little odds and ends that you'd never have messed with before. Running one is SOOO satisfying, IMO.

The thing about a lathe, is once you have it, you will always find uses for it and then never know how you lived with out it. That little machine could be quite useful for the minimal space it takes up. Fixing all kinds of little odds and ends that you'd never have messed with before. Running one is SOOO satisfying, IMO.
Honestly I'd LOVE to play with it and I believe you're correct in all aspects. and if it's still up in a week or two I'll see how desperate they are to move it. but I have zero immediate use, space only if i re-orgthe garage again, and no local buddies to help me carry the damn thing. If they wanted it gone at $250 I'd find a way. Said they'd accepted an offer for $750 but the guy never showed. think he called it a screw type lathe?

if someone local buys it I could probably help load it up, it's only 20-30 minutes from me. And they may be clearing out the garage next, so I'm trying to get first look if that is true. Think they threw out a bunch of good junk already based on what the son said when we were going thru the stuff that was left:frown:

I've got too many projects on the list already. Though the lathe WOULD making new soft faces for the non-marring hammer he threw in with the drill press much easier :homer:
DSCN3130.jpg

lathe with an advertised 4.25” spindle bore in stuart VA. Its a little too far from me.

lathe with an advertised 4.25” spindle bore in stuart VA. Its a little too far from me.

I was looking at that the other day. Didn't even notice the bore size. Wasn't really interested but now I kind of am...

I was looking at that the other day. Didn't even notice the bore size. Wasn't really interested but now I kind of am...
You should ask him for better pictures of the "engine" end of his transmission so I can copy it better when it's time to do mine. :flipoff2:

Also that lathe looks way more useful than the tracked swamp vehicle thing.

You should ask him for better pictures of the "engine" end of his transmission so I can copy it better when it's time to do mine. :flipoff2:
Looks pretty straight forward to me. Pulleys on both sides of the trans. Output pulley goes to the regular headstock pulley.

Somewhere I have a pics of a bunch of old lathes at a local shop that closed down. They all had various custom gearboxes on them.

Also that lathe looks way more useful than the tracked swamp vehicle thing.
More useful, yes. More fun, no.

Looks pretty straight forward to me. Pulleys on both sides of the trans. Output pulley goes to the regular headstock pulley.
Well yeah but the input shaft on the tran needs additional support, can't just throw a pulley on it and call it GTG. I'm curious how that was achieved without adding a ton of stickout. I've cooked up a couple ideas in my head but they all seem over complicated.

Well yeah but the input shaft on the tran needs additional support, can't just throw a pulley on it and call it GTG. I'm curious how that was achieved without adding a ton of stickout. I've cooked up a couple ideas in my head but they all seem over complicated.
You think one of those supports is helping hold the shaft? I assumed they were just going to the face of the case.

If they seller gets back to me about being able to load it, I'll probably go check it out. I drive right by him every week or two. It's probably worth $700 in scrap so not a whole lot of risk. I'm assuming that's a 5 or 7.5hp motor on it. And if it's really single phase, that's worth half of what he's asking alone.

Just don't want to have to manually load it!

buy the box truck he's selling, have him load it in the back, and start a mobile lathe business :grinpimp:

You think one of those supports is helping hold the shaft? I assumed they were just going to the face of the case.

If they seller gets back to me about being able to load it, I'll probably go check it out. I drive right by him every week or two. It's probably worth $700 in scrap so not a whole lot of risk. I'm assuming that's a 5 or 7.5hp motor on it. And if it's really single phase, that's worth half of what he's asking alone.

Just don't want to have to manually load it!
I assume there's gotta be something controlling the front of that input shaft or belt tension will waste the pocket bearing in no time.

Top Back Refresh