What's new

Interesting tools for sale.

Someone buy my cool circle cutter before I change my mind about selling it.

That is cool
Getting any where on this? Thinking more about going after it myself.
Negative. He won't respond to me on FB. A few other people have left comments and have gone unanswered.

bgaidan if you ever see a small cone sheet metal roller let me know. I would really like one to build pipes with.

I was at the scrap yard this morning and someone had just dropped this off. Not entirely sure what type of press it was but looked like some kind of punch press and it was built extremely heavy and looked mostly complete except for the tooling. Would be a cool restoration or repurpose piece....but they'd get around $.60/lb up to $1 for machines and I'd bet it's pushing 2k lbs so it'll probably end up getting chopped up.

_XSsQv8wlamAnJ4RAGMJtR6Vy=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

d_bKS5SLllIRsqGQaDx98XWNrX=w703-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

bgaidan if you ever see a small cone sheet metal roller let me know. I would really like one to build pipes with.

Not a ton of sheet metal tools pop up around here, but I'll keep my eyes open. I see shears and smaller rollers every now and then, but they're pretty rare.

It's funny because Wysong's old factory is right down the road. Don't think they build anything there any more but they still do service and rebuilds on their old lie of shears and presses.

The thing about a lathe, is once you have it, you will always find uses for it and then never know how you lived with out it. That little machine could be quite useful for the minimal space it takes up. Fixing all kinds of little odds and ends that you'd never have messed with before. Running one is SOOO satisfying, IMO.
The other thing about a lathe is that once you have it, you'll realize you need a horizontal bandsaw, a mill, a verticle bandsaw, a rotary table, another $5000 worth of tooling...etc... lol. It never ends

The other thing about a lathe is that once you have it, you'll realize you need a horizontal bandsaw, a mill, a verticle bandsaw, a rotary table, another $5000 worth of tooling...etc... lol. It never ends
I started with a $1000 lathe about 5 years ago.

I took me 3 weeks just to move my machine tools last year. :laughing:

Good point, I have a small lathe that I got from a neighbor, haven't gotten it setup yet and I would already like to add a mill...

Aaron Z

I started with a $1000 lathe about 5 years ago.

I took me 3 weeks just to move my machine tools last year. :laughing:

Lol. This is true. I have found once you get at least 2 of everything then the purchases slow.

It’s sad I haven’t bought a machine tool in 5 years. Been working on fab stuff.

Lately I have been looking at a vf3’s to add to my collection. These are gonna be pricey if I buy one I want to buy one new enough and with a few cool options. I definitely want the auto probe to help quickly locate my shit that needs to be repaired. This will prolly cost as much as a nice pickup but whatever.

Last edited:
Lol. This is true. I have found once you get at least 2 of everything then the purchases slow.

It’s sad I haven’t bought a machine tool in 5 years. Been working on fab stuff.

Lately I have been looking at a vf3’s to add to my collection. These are gonna be pricey if I buy one I want to buy one new enough and with a few cool options. I definitely want the auto probe to help quickly locate my shit that needs to be repaired. This will prolly cost as much as a nice pickup but whatever.

You have the resources to move and unload big shit so you should be able to take advantage of deals when they pop up. I've seen shit go stupid cheap at auctions and had to pass up because the logistics of getting it rigged, hauled and unloaded would cost more than the machine itself. I have a little better situation now where I could make it happen if a killer deal fell in my lap. I'll eventually have a small-ish VMC and a CNC lathe.

I'm still crying about the time I watched a huge Monarch lathe with a shit ton of tooling sell for $2k at an auction. The tooling alone was probably worth $10k and that's the holy grail of big old iron...easily worth $20k to the right person. That's the same auction that I bought my Lagun Republic knee mill at for $800 just because it was too cheap to not buy it.

You have the resources to move and unload big shit so you should be able to take advantage of deals when they pop up.
And he's not little bitch when it comes to rigging his own shit. So many people who could DIY are unnecessarily scared of actually doing so.

And he's not little bitch when it comes to rigging his own shit. So many people who could DIY are unnecessarily scared of actually doing so.
I'm in the process of tooling up to go move a big machine next weekend. Building a roller sled and a toe jack already to get the thing out of where it is. Its steal for the machine because nobody wants to screw with getting a 70" tall machine out of a 74" door opening that requires two days of relocating other machines to get access to it with a lift or roll back deck... unless you move it down the aisle on its own.

20211205_172903.jpg
20211205_165922.jpg

I'm in the process of tooling up to go move a big machine next weekend. Building a roller sled and a toe jack already to get the thing out of where it is. Its steal for the machine because nobody wants to screw with getting a 70" tall machine out of a 74" door opening that requires two days of relocating other machines to get access to it with a lift or roll back deck... unless you move it down the aisle on its own.

20211205_172903.jpg
20211205_165922.jpg

Nice, that should work.

I once worked at a VERY DIY-minded CNC manufacturing shop. The machine maintenance crew had invested in a set of airbags, air jacks, and the best part was the air hover pucks that would allow one guy to move a 4ton machine down an aisle. So badass (and noisy).

Not sure if you can rent any equipment locally but it would be good to have multiple options on hand.

There's a difference between moving a clapped out old lathe and a $30k+, 20k lb machining center. I don't see you posting pics of the latter.

There's a difference between moving a clapped out old lathe and a $30k+, 20k lb machining center. I don't see you posting pics of the latter.
I've moved some industrial process equipment but I was on the clock so I wasn't using my phone. There at least half a dozen people here who've moved stuff like that with a combination of hard flat surfaces, skates and winches. A skate punching a hole in the floor and the machine sinking 2" isn't gonna hurt anything. Bumping a door frame at 1ft/minute isn't gonna hurt anything. Point is there's no hidden gotchas. You just gotta resist the temptation to play billy badass holding the machine 3ft off the ground with the forklift while someone backs a trailer under or letting the thing get moving to quick.

Last edited:
^ am I looking at that correctly? Is that a small AC motor, to start a gas engine... to direct drive the lathe?
Lol, looks like.

If it was originally a PTO lathe it would have a clutch on the input.

Lol, looks like.

Kind of looks like there's something clutch-ish on the belt side of the spindle.

Lol, looks like.

Pretty common for larger machines of all types to have a clutch even if electric motor powered. They expect you do run the motor at all times and use the power feeds for the bulk of your traversing during setup and then use the clutch to engage the spindle.

Right at 20% in taxes and buyers premium on items sold at that auction :eek:
Pretty standard. I see 15-20+% around here.

I've seen things go for more than retail after the math is finalized...
Also pretty standard and mind boggling. I mostly watch machine tool stuff lately and I'll see decent Kurt vises going for well over what you can buy a brand new one, shipped. I'd hate to be the person collecting the money when they have to teach the idiots what a buyer's premium is.

Just saw this one:
Buffalo #16 6 station drill press. Need it gone. - $400 in Canandaigua NY

1639948122359.png

1639948100835.png

1639948153516.png

Aaron Z

Remove the heads and fab up some separate tables and bases for them and sell them as individual drill presses. Keep one or two kicking around for yourself. Keep that base/table as a kick ass adjustable height welding/fab table. It'd take some work but I bet you could make money on that deal and end up with a badass table.

Top Back Refresh