What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

Yea I feel ya. Have 2 boys that love red meat and fruit. :smokin:

$10 got a bunch of bananas and very small thing of blueberries in town. We typically do misfits for fruit and veggies every other week. And Azure for unique type stuff. Misfits gets delivered by fedex and Azure has a truck come to town every 3 weeks. Otherwise I drive to Yakima to shop and hit the farms for their 2nds at pennies on the dollar during the summer and fall. We also grow and pick a ton of fruit. Have about 20lbs of frozen blueberries and close to the same in frozen blackberries. All grown and picked here. It’s a never ending battle.
I'll look into Misfits. Once we get on our property this next year we'll be growing most of it ourselves assuming we can keep the dammed bears out of it. We already have wild Thimbleberries up there that I picked for him in season.

It gets worse, I have a teenager who will down a whole container of blueberries in one go, then go back looking for a 2nd container...

Aaron Z
my 12 year old has done it his whole life. likes fruits 10x over junk food. but goddamn i like being healthy but i can only afford so much healthy food. a bag of chips is $3, blueberries are 20 for the same amount of snacking.

I'll look into Misfits. Once we get on our property this next year we'll be growing most of it ourselves assuming we can keep the dammed bears out of it. We already have wild Thimbleberries up there that I picked for him in season.
30 caliber works great for bear remediation :lmao:, also so does having meat eating dogs. When we moved to our property there was a Very Large Sow that used to follow the same damn path daily. Shit on the same piles. Started letting our dogs mark all over the trail and the bear moved. Not far but she moved her path by about 1/2 mile. We haven’t seen sign of her and no game cams have picked her up in 6 years.

FYI. Yakima costco today had bare root fruit trees for 19.99 and they were 4-5’ tall. They also had combo fruit trees for 27.99.

ETA: I have had my fruit trees fenced individual with 5’ 2x4 welded wire fence and it has kept the elk off them except for where the tree over grows the fence. Apple, pear, plumb and cherry all seem to do well like that. I left about 3’ of room from the outside of the branchs to the fence to guve them room to grow until I could get a proper fence up.

Last edited:
my 12 year old has done it his whole life. likes fruits 10x over junk food. but goddamn i like being healthy but i can only afford so much healthy food. a bag of chips is $3, blueberries are 20 for the same amount of snacking.
Can you keep the predators off the bushes? It takes a few years but 4-5 bushes will yeild a ton of berries after 3-4 years. Acidic soil proper fertilizer water and sun. They grow fast. Hell, I have 4 in pots, whiskey barrel size, and they do great! They are also very easy to propagate from cuttings. Going to plat them in my newly fenced orchard area this year as well as a half dozen evergreen huckleberry bushes. I get them for the cost of digging on my mom’s property. Fig trees are also very tolerant of conditions provided you water them the first few years and fig jam is amazing.

30 caliber works great for bear remediation :lmao:, also so does having meat eating dogs. When we moved to our property there was a Very Large Sow that used to follow the same damn path daily. Shit on the same piles. Started letting our dogs mark all over the trail and the bear moved. Not far but she moved her path by about 1/2 mile. We haven’t seen sign of her and no game cams have picked her up in 6 years.

FYI. Yakima costco today had bare root fruit trees for 19.99 and they were 4-5’ tall. They also had combo fruit trees for 27.99.

ETA: I have had my fruit trees fenced individual with 5’ 2x4 welded wire fence and it has kept the elk off them except for where the tree over grows the fence. Apple, pear, plumb and cherry all seem to do well like that. I left about 3’ of room from the outside of the branchs to the fence to guve them room to grow until I could get a proper fence up.
Yeah the bear is destined to be a rug this coming fall. We had a sow with 2 cubs, another sow and 2 boars in cams last fall. Good times. Its vacant land right now, once we move in I'm sure their habits will change a bit. But we have water and our upper gulley has the berries so I'm sure they'll still be around a bit. I cant wait to get built and moved in so we can start "farming" again.

I'm really starting to think stores just keep raising prices to see what they can get away with before people stop buying.
That's exactly what is happening.
CAT raised their parts prices 15% last year, we followed suit by raising our labor rate 10%.
Made 90 million more $ in profit over the forecast....

I'm really starting to think stores just keep raising prices to see what they can get away with before people stop buying.
That is spot on, testing the ceiling. Not just stores, everywhere else as well.

Got to make up for 2020 for some of these business as well...

Fuel here is right around $4/gal, and they have not switched to summer blend yet. I have a feeling that come this summer we will see some record fuel / lodging / food prices yet to come. Artificial manipulation of supply vs demand will be a standard response.

Restaurants are still packed around. Spoke with a contractor and he told me. The materials are down, lumber being a normal price. It's the labor that is high since all the free money. I'm hoping, the slowdown will bring the building labor cost down.

Since I still can't quote anyone... fucking shite... I would say in the case of the grocery store I was referring to, it's a lack of options. There is a beaner store, discount (expired) store and a fucking kwik trip. Anything else is 25 miles or more away. So yes, it's supply and demand to an extent, but the supply is not low, and the only demand seems to be for sale items. Prices go up one week, on sale the next for the old price. I'd say things go up in a monthly cycle.

Roktoy829 good luck with labor costs going down. Company I work for is still slapping a surcharge on everything we build. Not to cover materials, but labor. Only so many people you can layoff before the ones with extra work want more money. SStart talking about pay cuts and people find new jobs.

Without 3x4 welded wire cages around my fruit trees the deer would eat them to the ground. I just buy the 4 foot tall rolls and once trees start to top out on them, I scab on another 2 foot chunk on the top.

In regards to the blueberries somebody mentioned above, I'm looking to purchase from here for this spring. Granted it's on the opposite side of the country for you Wa peeps. Blueberry Plants for Sale - Blueberry Bushes from DiMeo Farms

In your neck of the woods, burnt ridge nursery specializes in edible trees, bushes and such with a huge selection. Burnt Ridge Nursery & Orchards | Fruit Trees, Nut Trees, Berries for Sale | Buy Plants Online

Forecast is one thing, actual is another.

How much did they make in 2019 vs 2022.
We beat the sales forcast every year.

I don't have any of the actual data to share...

Our forecast last year (22) was 8.1% PADE and we actually made 11.0% a difference of 90 million.

We missed 2020 sales forcast as most did but again had a measurable increase in PADE because we are increasing costs for everything passed directly to the customer.

Corporate profits

Screenshot_20230304_165518_Chrome.jpg

profits are up across the board because the dollar's been devalued like mad

Of course money is being thrown around in proportion to how much more of it there is when compared to the nearly static amount of goods and services that are being traded on the market.

Without 3x4 welded wire cages around my fruit trees the deer would eat them to the ground. I just buy the 4 foot tall rolls and once trees start to top out on them, I scab on another 2 foot chunk on the top.

In regards to the blueberries somebody mentioned above, I'm looking to purchase from here for this spring. Granted it's on the opposite side of the country for you Wa peeps. Blueberry Plants for Sale - Blueberry Bushes from DiMeo Farms

In your neck of the woods, burnt ridge nursery specializes in edible trees, bushes and such with a huge selection. Burnt Ridge Nursery & Orchards | Fruit Trees, Nut Trees, Berries for Sale | Buy Plants Online
I found tying empty beer cans to the lower tree branches together like a wind chime, about deer back level either pissed them off or freaked them out enough to leave them alone until they got tall enough. I deal with elk now. Fencing is just a suggestion to them. If they want in they are 600+ pounds with hops. Not much will stop them beside aggressive tactics.

Roktoy829 good luck with labor costs going down. Company I work for is still slapping a surcharge on everything we build. Not to cover materials, but labor. Only so many people you can layoff before the ones with extra work want more money. SStart talking about pay cuts and people find new jobs.
I am afraid I am just daydreaming on it going down.

Amazon announced another 9k layoffs.
Meta announced another 10k.

Amazon announced another 9k layoffs.
Meta announced another 10k.
How in the hell can these places have so many employees. Amazon I can see because they physically move items around the country but Facebook? What did all these people do on a day to day? They sure as fuck weren’t refining the fb marketplace search engine

How in the hell can these places have so many employees. Amazon I can see because they physically move items around the country but Facebook? What did all these people do on a day to day? They sure as fuck weren’t refining the fb marketplace search engine

updated article... Amazon mostly laying people off in AWS, PXT, advertising and Twitch.... PXT is apparently their internal HR Tools team(??)

Top Back Refresh