What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

I heard similar from someone about their flock, but we aren't currently raising any, so I don't know.

:lmao:

My wife used to work in the dairy industry, it's a lot more work than most people realize.
Lots of time and money spent on getting the feed mix for TMR "just right" and keeping the cows happy (unhappy cows give noticably less milk).
Most daries aren't making money unless they are growing pretty much all their own feed and doing a lot of their own vet work.

Aaron Z
It is…. But it ain’t pulling dragons from the ground….. any single aspect of getting oil and transforming it to fuel is incredibly more complicated than the entire dairy industry….

Yeah…. Milk trucks don’t have baffles and you got the Fed inspectors but let’s be honest about it.

Milk has always been a weird one for me, as I compare it to petroleum.

Gas... they go to some fuckwater country in the middle of the desert, they bribe the local governments, bring in massive pumps, pipes, and infrastructure, they pump that shit out from deep beneath the dirt, they send it to a port, put it in a huge tanker ship, where they sail it across the oceans of the world. Pump it out into some terminal yard where it is then pumped, trucked, or put on a train to some refinery where it is then boiled down into a useable fuel, then the fuel is trucked to some tank under a gas station somewhere, where we purchase it for $3.00 a gallon.
(massive amounts of people, equipment, and time at every aspect of the process)

Milk... the cows wonder up to the dairy barn at the other end of the county where it is collected, sent to a pasteurizing machine, bottled and sent to the store and it's $5.00 a gallon.

Perishable product vs non.

It is…. But it ain’t pulling dragons from the ground….. any single aspect of getting oil and transforming it to fuel is incredibly more complicated than the entire dairy industry….

Yeah…. Milk trucks don’t have baffles and you got the Fed inspectors but let’s be honest about it.

Being honest about something you know nothing about? How very Biden Jean Peter of you

Yep, tractor supply brand is even $20 for a 50lb bag. A year ago it was 11-13.

There is also a bunch of stuff going around social media which holds true with everyone I know with chickens and thats that everyones chickens seem to have mostly stopped laying in the last 6-8months. I have 30 birds and hant gotten a single egg.

Apparently the people that have switched to local feed are getting eggs again.
I think it is the tractor supply house brand (producers pride?) & Dumor that are the suspected brands. The cost alone of feed last year got me to overseed areas with clover anticipating even worse this summer. So I think I can currently rotate flocks in my area. Still want them somewhat fenced in though, fucking coyotes around here have a reputation for snatch and grabs.

From the sound of your posts, neither do you
You want to make the argument that dairy is harder and more complicated than oil and gas, and you’re questioning my intelligence?

OK, big guy… You’re right… I’m stupid… Dairy industry… Way more complicated

You want to make the argument that dairy is harder and more complicated than oil and gas, and you’re questioning my intelligence?

It is in fact way more complicated. Oil isn't depending on a living breathing creature and maintaining the fine line of doing everything just so to keep it producing. Oil doesn't get sick. It doesn't die. It doesn't get out of the field at 2 am. Oil doesn't become cantankerous or stop producing when it's old. Oil doesn't require feeding nor does it need constant replacing. I know your grumpy but if you tried not being a stupid fuck stick maybe the world would piss you off less :flipoff2:

Youre already in a hole, stop digging.

Perishable vs non perishable and supply and demand.

How does the last 15 years of decreasing licensed dairy farms affect price?

How about inflation and increases in feed and grain prices that have outpaced inflation?

Less farm land being cultivated a factor?

How about corn being used as fuel instead of feed because of government subsidies play a role?

I would be curious on your current experience and background in agriculture and cattle raising, though. Is that what you do for a living, is that how you know so much?

20230130_225322.jpg

Youre already in a hole, stop digging.

Perishable vs non perishable and supply and demand.

How does the last 15 years of decreasing licensed dairy farms affect price?

How about inflation and increases in feed and grain prices that have outpaced inflation?

Less farm land being cultivated a factor?

How about corn being used as fuel instead of feed because of government subsidies play a role?

I would be curious on your current experience and background in agriculture and cattle raising, though. Is that what you do for a living, is that how you know so much?
You got me, you want to measure dicks. You’ll win. I only currently have 1 cow (she's a Dexter & not milked), and my family never had a herd over 100.

And I’ve got my operators certification to work the plants and refinery down the ship channel.

I know enough about both to know livestock can’t compare to pumping oil out of the ground (and sometimes the ground is under the fuckin ocean), moving it a cross the globe, processing it, and delivering it to the end user.

First of all, I can get my cow in milk and be drinking raw milk in short order. I can’t dig a hole, extract oil and process it to any grade if it was my life’s work.

Last edited:
Yep, tractor supply brand is even $20 for a 50lb bag. A year ago it was 11-13.

There is also a bunch of stuff going around social media which holds true with everyone I know with chickens and thats that everyones chickens seem to have mostly stopped laying in the last 6-8months. I have 30 birds and hant gotten a single egg.

Apparently the people that have switched to local feed are getting eggs again.
Ours barely slowed down. First winter for 8 birds, 4 a day minimum and back up to 6-8 now. We buy whatever feed is cheap and not Purina from Coastal or the local Co-op. Picked up a bag of mixed grain to make fodder as well. GF spends way to much on meal worms and sunflower seeds but she takes care of them. I just build what she wants.

Same here
Last summer I even gave them some rabbit pellets i found on sale local that I mixed in with some nasty sugar bomb cereal bag someone gave us. They kept laying. I also give them a lot of table scraps.

You got me, you want to measure dicks. You’ll win. I only currently have 1 cow (she's a Dexter & not milked), and my family never had a herd over 100.

And I’ve got my operators certification to work the plants and refinery down the ship channel.

I know enough about both to know livestock can’t compare to pumping oil out of the ground (and sometimes the ground is under the fuckin ocean), moving it a cross the globe, processing it, and delivering it to the end user.

First of all, I can get my cow in milk and be drinking raw milk in short order. I can’t dig a hole, extract oil and process it to any grade if it was my life’s work.

Im not measuring dicks, you know all of that about oil and refining, way more than I do surely, and you are certain it should cost more for a gallon of gas than a gallon of milk?

Again, I think the answer is a perishable product in high demand in every part of the food production industry made for human consumption and the cleanliness and regulations that go along with that are the real answer. Something that comes from living beings that have a finite lifespan and susceptible to weather changes and disease.

What is frustrating me the most is what I'm not allowed to pay employees.
Inflation through the roof.
Can't find people to work.
When I do find good, qualified people, I'm not allowed to pay them what their worth because the company is worried the economy is going to collapse and they then won't be worth as much.
I just gave out 3-4% raises this year. Not even close to keeping up with inflation. Very frustrating for the employees.

What is frustrating me the most is what I'm not allowed to pay employees.
Inflation through the roof.
Can't find people to work.
When I do find good, qualified people, I'm not allowed to pay them what their worth because the company is worried the economy is going to collapse and they then won't be worth as much.
I just gave out 3-4% raises this year. Not even close to keeping up with inflation. Very frustrating for the employees.

The employee pay situation is a touchy subject for us. Right now we have to pay above scale to get/keep good guys. As things slow down and contractors are bidding more competitively and at low percentages, those high wages above scale are no longer sustainable. It's a vicious cycle.

The employee pay situation is a touchy subject for us. Right now we have to pay above scale to get/keep good guys. As things slow down and contractors are bidding more competitively and at low percentages, those high wages above scale are no longer sustainable. It's a vicious cycle.
I agree.
And what I didn't add was I'm already losing people because we top them out at say $30/hr but a competitor may offer $35/hr. Execs won't budge on our pay scale to keep good people. It is tough.

I agree.
And what I didn't add was I'm already losing people because we top them out at say $30/hr but a competitor may offer $35/hr. Execs won't budge on our pay scale to keep good people. It is tough.
Everyone is having the same problem. Companies are living in the 90s for wages, inflation has broken the workers spirit, as you can't get ahead and over time is sucked up in taxes.

Im not measuring dicks, you know all of that about oil and refining, way more than I do surely, and you are certain it should cost more for a gallon of gas than a gallon of milk?

Again, I think the answer is a perishable product in high demand in every part of the food production industry made for human consumption and the cleanliness and regulations that go along with that are the real answer. Something that comes from living beings that have a finite lifespan and susceptible to weather changes and disease.
I gotta agree with you but I can add one thing at least for here in Canuckistan, dunno about the U.S. or individual states though.

Up here we have a thing called "The dairy board of Canada" it sets the standards for everything dairy. It is also pretty much a mafia, union, or whatever. If you produce dairy for sale you MUST join or you can't sell and you MUST follow all of their rules without exception.

I didn't know about this board until I married my ex. Her uncle owned the biggest dairy farm in the region, I don't know I would call it massive but to me it was a big deal. I never had much to do with that part of the family as they were extremely religious and saw me as a heathen, once in a blue moon we would get invited out to the farm for something and I would attend.

The last time I was ever there was for a wedding and Uncle Norman was pretty angry, now this fellow didn't drink but on this day he had one or two beers and started talking. He told me all about this dairy board and the rules and such. One of the rules was a quota on production. You hit the quota you had to dump the excess milk, didn't matter if you dumped it on the fields or down a sewer but you must destroy it, you couldn't even give it away. This is one of the boards ways of fixing prices.

Well Uncle Norman being a good Christian man was of a mind that his excess milk should be given away free of charge to families in need, he was even willing to buy the equipment to pasteurize it.

Well the board said NO! You dump your excess and that's it, if the poors want any dairy they can buy it or the .gov can and give it away.

I filled him in on how the U.S. had the .gov cheese and such and he got even angrier. It wasn't long after he got out of dairy entirely and went into beef cattle.

It's surprising here in Canuckistan how much we pay for dairy, $7 butter, $6 a gallon for milk, $9 a pound for middle of the road cheese etc.

I remember taking my GF for groceries on her first time in the U.S. she couldn't believe not only the variety but the price on the cheese, she said "it's like they give it away here" She was blown away when I told her about how they used to indeed give it away.

Everyone is having the same problem. Companies are living in the 90s for wages, inflation has broken the workers spirit, as you can't get ahead and over time is sucked up in taxes.

Our hourly wage is $23/hr higher than it was in 1996.

It's surprising here in Canuckistan how much we pay for dairy, $7 butter, $6 a gallon for milk, $9 a pound for middle of the road cheese etc.
and it is cheddar
almost nothing but cheddar because that's what the quota calls for

companies crying about wages is a fucking joke. CEO's don't worry about pay cuts. this is just plain greed. i love it when a guy that has been getting 25 or 30 bucks and hour opens his own business and charges 150 bucks and hour which is usually 25 bucks or so less than his former bosses hourly billing rate.

I said a year or so ago we had not seen the worse and it was still coming. I feel that statement still rings true. Its going to get a lot worse.

What good does it do to make $100 an hour if a loaf of bread is $50?

I may go drop a deer or two for the grinder....

companies crying about wages is a fucking joke. CEO's don't worry about pay cuts. this is just plain greed. i love it when a guy that has been getting 25 or 30 bucks and hour opens his own business and charges 150 bucks and hour which is usually 25 bucks or so less than his former bosses hourly billing rate.
Lol and then with all the overhead he didn’t realize there was he is making less than the $30 a hour he was making before:homer:.

Lol and then with all the overhead he didn’t realize there was he is making less than the $30 a hour he was making before:homer:.
I've made this statement many times. If someone thinks employers should be paying more, then they should invest everything they have into a business and pay exactly what they think they should.

Top Back Refresh