What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

I saw $7 a pound for butter today and $5.90 for a gallon of milk. It was a funny kind of trip though, my usual rye bread was cheaper than I've ever seen it as well as certain cookies etc. Breakfast cereal is just insane right now with a "family" size box of Honey Combs or Frosted Flakes coming in at close to $10 a box.

My wife got back from the grocery store and said a pound of 87/13 ground beef was $12/lb. 24 eggs was $18.

You got ripped off or must be buying shit from Whole Paycheck...or your wife is stashing money from ya.

I'm in Fort Collins and 90/10 is regularly on sale for $4-5....80/20 was on sale for $2.49 last week at Safeway. Eggs have gotten expensive, but beef hasn't moved much. NY strip steaks are/were on sale for $7.99/lb, which is $2/lb. more than usual...which give it until next month and you'll see.

I saw $7 a pound for butter today and $5.90 for a gallon of milk. It was a funny kind of trip though, my usual rye bread was cheaper than I've ever seen it as well as certain cookies etc. Breakfast cereal is just insane right now with a "family" size box of Honey Combs or Frosted Flakes coming in at close to $10 a box.
Everything is up but cereal is all shit anyway, it's all commodities based and a complete racket. The guy who coined "the most important meal of the day" was Harvey Kellogg. It's the best marketing slogan ever.

People need to see through that stuff and eat real food

FJB

WTF is up with the egg prices? holy fuck the cheap(er) Egg Land brand is north of $5/dz now.. Breakfast used to be the cheapest meal of the day! :mad3:

Milk is over $5/gal. If the dairy farmers are making money at these prices I don't care as much but I am sure the middle man is making all the money.

WTF is up with the egg prices? holy fuck the cheap(er) Egg Land brand is north of $5/dz now.. Breakfast used to be the cheapest meal of the day! :mad3:

Milk is over $5/gal. If the dairy farmers are making money at these prices I don't care as much but I am sure the middle man is making all the money.
Pro tip: Quit looking at Large white eggs, they are the most common and now most in demand after the bird flu. Current prices here: 18 ct large white $7.48. 18 ct cage free large brown $5.98 + 3 cents fuel saver.

A couple weeks ago we picked up a 12-ct of XL eggs for $3.99 when regular large were $5.49. Just open your eyes to look at the other varieties that are a perfect substitute for the "standard" egg.

“Bird flu” and 2 years worth of Dist. Cntr. and food processing plant fires. And like 2 days ago There was a major egg plant that just went up in smoke.

That’s something I wonder why I haven’t seen more of on here or alternative media. There has probably been 20+ distribution centers and food processing plants destroyed since Biden took office and its silence.

Last edited:
The price of feed has doubled. All the idiots are going to buy birds this spring and think they are going to strike it rich selling/saving at the grocery.

The price of feed has doubled. All the idiots are going to buy birds this spring and think they are going to strike it rich selling/saving at the grocery.

Yep, tractor supply brand is even $20 for a 50lb bag. A year ago it was 11-13.

There is also a bunch of stuff going around social media which holds true with everyone I know with chickens and thats that everyones chickens seem to have mostly stopped laying in the last 6-8months. I have 30 birds and hant gotten a single egg.

Apparently the people that have switched to local feed are getting eggs again.

There is also a bunch of stuff going around social media which holds true with everyone I know with chickens and thats that everyones chickens seem to have mostly stopped laying in the last 6-8months. I have 30 birds and hant gotten a single egg.

Was $25 a week ago. I think it’ll hit $30 in a month

Eggs are $5 a dozen or more here.
Paid $6.59 or less for two dozen at Costco just last week I think.
Milk is up, $3.19 a gallon on average.
Meat I don't even look for unless I need it (have some in freezer).
Have not had steak in some time, and fuck 'em not paying $12.99/lb for rib eye.

One can be creative with cooking and ingredients. One thing is for certain, people no longer just throw stuff into carts.

No cereal, chips, frozen food etc. - haven't bought that stuff in a long while on regular basis. Eating out as in restaurant with friends and such I have trimmed down a lot.

Eat much better at home. Household of 1 here...

Last edited:

you guys having colder than normal weather?
chickens stop laying when it gets colder than they like, might have to give them some warm

One can be creative with cooking and ingredients. One thing is for certain, people no longer just throw stuff into carts.
Yup. I made some bangin' "steak" fajitas with some bottom round that was on special, partially brown, and bumping up against the sell-by date the other day. Just cut into thin, short strips, make a marinade, then pan sear, remove, put in sliced wedges of onion and pepper, reintroduce, add a can of Rotel, and serve on white corn tortillas with shredded cheddar, Crema Mexicana, and some lime juice. I think my wife spent about $3 on the roast, the peppers I got at work a couple years ago for free (rejected at the Walmart DC, I stuck a few bags in the deep freezer), the half onion was less than $1 whole, and I used the other half in another recipe a few days earlier, Rotel was about 75 cents at Sam's, and everything else was leftovers lying around.

Last edited:
Its cold now but everyone seemed to stop getting eggs at the begining of last summer.
Not me, Doesn't matter if I use Purina feed, store brand or ingles brand etc. Chickens stopped for about a month when fall hit then started back.

I just saw this on Fox news last night while I was visiting with my dad. Weird....

Not that I'm calling my wife an idiot but.... Every time she says shes going to tractor supply, i fully dread her coming home with a VW full of chickens:laughing:
Thats one thing that my wife knows is a deal-breaker for me. I grew up in chicken houses, we grew for Pilgrims, had 3 houses (16k birds per house).

You cheat on me? You're probably gone, but we'll have a long rational discussion first

You stacked up a bunch of debt behind my back without my knowledge? Probably gone... dunno, we'll see

You took out 3mil life insurance on me and have been emailing a hit man? Probably not gonna work, but let's discuss first

You come home with chickens? PACK YOUR BAGS BITCH WE'RE DONE HERE

Thats one thing that my wife knows is a deal-breaker for me. I grew up in chicken houses, we grew for Pilgrims, had 3 houses (16k birds per house).

You cheat on me? You're probably gone, but we'll have a long rational discussion first

You stacked up a bunch of debt behind my back without my knowledge? Probably gone... dunno, we'll see

You took out 3mil life insurance on me and have been emailing a hit man? Probably not gonna work, but let's discuss first

:laughing::laughing:

I'm down 41

I could only wish. When i looked 6ish months ago I was at least 6x that. I havnt looked again
I went from 40K to 32K not that it matters it's for an emergency, money the union employers put in it, If I cashed it out by the time taxes got taken out there wouldn't be much left

Milk has always been a weird one for me, as I compare it to petroleum.

Gas... they go to some fuckwater country in the middle of the desert, they bribe the local governments, bring in massive pumps, pipes, and infrastructure, they pump that shit out from deep beneath the dirt, they send it to a port, put it in a huge tanker ship, where they sail it across the oceans of the world. Pump it out into some terminal yard where it is then pumped, trucked, or put on a train to some refinery where it is then boiled down into a useable fuel, then the fuel is trucked to some tank under a gas station somewhere, where we purchase it for $3.00 a gallon.
(massive amounts of people, equipment, and time at every aspect of the process)

Milk... the cows wonder up to the dairy barn at the other end of the county where it is collected, sent to a pasteurizing machine, bottled and sent to the store and it's $5.00 a gallon.

That's almost exactly what I said when GF broached the subject a year or so back and I don't have any experience with chickens:laughing:

I let my buddies girlfriend do the chicken raising hers quit laying when it got cold and another project has taken her away from home and she hasn't been able to care for them as she had been.
I have been thinking about going into rotational grazing of a couple cow/calfs and pigs. BUt then again it is easier to let someone else do the work!:flipoff2:

Fuck that i’m planting more clover and am going to free range mine more. Depending on Chick prices I may run a few dozen through the incubator and hope for at least 50% hens.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

My wife didn’t grow up around chickens, but she feels that way.

I heard similar from someone about their flock, but we aren't currently raising any, so I don't know.
Milk... the cows wonder up to the dairy barn at the other end of the county where it is collected, sent to a pasteurizing machine, bottled and sent to the store and it's $5.00 a gallon.
:lmao:

My wife used to work in the dairy industry, it's a lot more work than most people realize.
Lots of time and money spent on getting the feed mix for TMR "just right" and keeping the cows happy (unhappy cows give noticably less milk).
Most daries aren't making money unless they are growing pretty much all their own feed and doing a lot of their own vet work.

Aaron Z

I had the same problem. I started supplementing witth venison trimmings and they started laying again so it may be a lack of protein in the feed.

Top Back Refresh