What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

Personal cost of living thoughts-

Wife and I were talking last night, after seeing my 1st house back on the market. In the last 20 years, my pay has gone up 10%-ish, and homes have almost tripled. Anecdotal of course

-- same job --
2002- I made $80k no overtime
2022- will make $90k no overtime

-- same house --
2002- bought 1900ft House X for $80k
2022- House X is on market for $230k, relatively unchanged

There are alot of people out there that aren't going to make it (financially) another year. I'm predicting record chapter 7 filings for 23-24. We're about to go through some shit that'll make 07-08 look like vacation.
I keep saying the same and a lot of people disagree with us.

Wife and I were talking last night, after seeing my 1st house back on the market. In the last 20 years, my pay has gone up 10%-ish, and homes have almost tripled. Anecdotal of course

-- same job --

-- same house --

There are alot of people out there that aren't going to make it (financially) another year. I'm predicting record chapter 7 filings for 23-24. We're about to go through some shit that'll make 07-08 look like vacation.
So with that if you bump up wages 20-30% what do you think will happen to the price of the goods and services those wages produce? The prices will skyrocket.

Wages are about 25% of my cost of doing business. Labor as a cost isn’t as big in my business as you say a place like McDonald’s where if I had to guess it’s in the 50% + range. Any wage increase has a definite effect on the price of the good or service sold.

I have been giving my guys good raises the past few years to keep them happy. With that I need to raise my prices to make sure I can continue to operate. It’s a catch 22. I don’t know what the answer is.

I keep saying the same and a lot of people disagree with us.
I think those are the same people that aren't going to be able to "just put it all on the card" next year.

I'm thinking it is all by plan, our modern standard of living has been topheavy and unsustainable for a long while
I think you're right in a way. For too long there's been too many "haves" and "almost haves" and not enough "have nots", middle classically speaking. The oligarchy is ready to make a comeback.

Made up a grocery order to Walmart for us to pick up after drs appointment, I hadn't baked bread so I added a loaf of sourdough to the order. This morning I was making French toast and thought that loaf seems awful small for only having 4 slices pulled out yesterday and 3 this morning what used to be a 32 oz loaf is now only 24 ozs but the price is the same.

Made up a grocery order to Walmart for us to pick up after drs appointment, I hadn't baked bread so I added a loaf of sourdough to the order. This morning I was making French toast and thought that loaf seems awful small for only having 4 slices pulled out yesterday and 3 this morning what used to be a 32 oz loaf is now only 24 ozs but the price is the same.

I think I was had by the blue shop towels from Costco the other week. The rolls are a much smaller diameter than before.

I think I was had by the blue shop towels from Costco the other week. The rolls are a much smaller diameter than before.
Bought these a while ago from Costco.

11x10.5

More recent ones are 11x9.4. 39.5 sq ft

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

-- same job --

-- same house --

I think you may even be sugar coating things a little bit. The bubble is about to pop and it'll be a pop heard around the world. In my opinion.

Last edited:
So with that if you bump up wages 20-30% what do you think will happen to the price of the goods and services those wages produce? The prices will skyrocket.

Wages are about 25% of my cost of doing business. Labor as a cost isn’t as big in my business as you say a place like McDonald’s where if I had to guess it’s in the 50% + range. Any wage increase has a definite effect on the price of the good or service sold.

I have been giving my guys good raises the past few years to keep them happy. With that I need to raise my prices to make sure I can continue to operate. It’s a catch 22. I don’t know what the answer is.
Its a viscous cycle however, when one out paces the other (which is what has been happening) we come to a breaking point where things have to be corrected. How it gets corrected is the real question. It will be ugly no matter the answer.

I priced out a 7'x16' tandem axle enclosed trailer this week to use as a jobsite trailer. $10,785.00 Two years ago I bought a 7.5'x23' enclosed sxs/snowmobile trailer, lined interior, front and rear ramp doors, helmet cabinet, for $13,000.00. :shaking:

On a bright note, I just picked up another 20' conex for $3500.00. Looks like I'll be getting away from trailers for now.

I priced out a 7'x16' tandem axle enclosed trailer this week to use as a jobsite trailer. $10,785.00 Two years ago I bought a 7.5'x23' enclosed sxs/snowmobile trailer, lined interior, front and rear ramp doors, helmet cabinet, for $13,000.00. :shaking:

On a bright note, I just picked up another 20' conex for $3500.00. Looks like I'll be getting away from trailers for now.

I bought a 8x18 steel deck 10k car hauler this year, with a few extras for 7k:homer:

My old 8x18 12k equipment trailer was 3k in 2010

Holy shit $3500 for a 20’:eek: 2016 we got 2 ocean rated 20’s delivered for $4000

Top Back Refresh