What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

I buy that in spicy arrabiata. It's only $6.99 the last time I bought it (about 60 says ago)
I tried that this evening (actually based on this thread). Good stuff. 👍

You can get Raos and Victoria pasta sauce at Costco. Both are decent without fillers - bonus its a larger size for cheaper vs what one pays at Kroger etc.

I typically buy two or more when on sale.

Compromise
Being a poor/divorced/disabled/fixed income hermit; I've had to master that concept.

Since I only buy it three or less times a year; I decided I want an excellent spaghetti sauce in a jar.

Foods I've completely eliminated from my food budget:
All chips variations
All sodas
All cookies
All ice cream
All breads
Milk
Going back to baking my own bread, why else have the machine?
Mom likes ice cream,
Keep enough milk on hand for cereal
Now I am going to really upset people, I buy premade meatballs, and use Ramen noodles instead of spaghettis and bottled sauce!

I tried that this evening (actually based on this thread). Good stuff. 👍
I usually make my own sauces from scratch, but the Rao's Spicy Arrabiata is a good go-to when prep time is short. Its a little thinner than my own sauce, but the only comparable one on the commercial market that I can find, so of course I'll pay $7 to save an hour of prep.

I usually make my own sauces from scratch, but the Rao's Spicy Arrabiata is a good go-to when prep time is short. Its a little thinner than my own sauce, but the only comparable one on the commercial market that I can find, so of course I'll pay $7 to save an hour of prep.
please report here, kthnxbye

Yet no one cares to protect the consumer. Paying more for less.

Imagine if you clock in for an 8hr day and work for five hours only - leave and stay clocked in. A shit storm in no time.

System is a scam.
I have to disagree with your statement.

Not really you just need to be smart when buying. The manufacturers know the price a consumer will pay for something. They will pay $8 for a pail of ice cream but not $12. They adjust their size accordingly.

The whole paying more for less is what inflation is. Their input prices go up so they need to raise their prices accordingly. People have no idea what it takes to run a business. The costs get passed along to the consumer.

please report here, kthnxbye

I'll have to report back there tonight when I have time to type it all out.

Funny side-note: I am a cheapskate who gets half-hogs every year and have more ground pork than I know what to do with, so I use it in a spicy meat marinara sauce.:flipoff2:

I have to disagree with your statement.

Not really you just need to be smart when buying. The manufacturers know the price a consumer will pay for something. They will pay $8 for a pail of ice cream but not $12. They adjust their size accordingly.

The whole paying more for less is what inflation is. Their input prices go up so they need to raise their prices accordingly. People have no idea what it takes to run a business. The costs get passed along to the consumer.
That part I understand.

There are still businesses out there making record profits / shrinking size of the products / raising prices. In other words gouging the end user.

Like others on here I vote with my wallet, and have scaled down what I buy / where I buy.

That part I understand.

There are still businesses out there making record profits / shrinking size of the products / raising prices. In other words gouging the end user.

Like others on here I vote with my wallet, and have scaled down what I buy / where I buy.
Me thinks you still don't understand inflation.

Those "Record profits" are always in NOMINAL dollars. When adjusted for inflation, however...:flipoff2:

BINGO

the more the govt tries to "correct or control" the cost the more it goes up because it cost a business money to jump through the hoops to govt requires.
this one feels really poignant and relatively concise:

Biden days inflation will get worse in Republicans win the midterms.

So either way, it's going to get worse.
anyone who thinks things will rebound/change quickly is delusional, election or not. the people who can bring change in the market place arent going to risk too much, they saw what biden did to the pipeline or the covid restrictions.

The IRS is increasing the standard deductions for 2023 as inflation intensifies​

October 19, 2022 2:05 AM ET

The Internal Revenue Service is increasing its inflation adjustments for the 2023 tax year after prices for rent, groceries and gas have reached heights not seen in 40 years.

The announcement of adjustments is an annual occurrence, but in a year of high inflation, the move to raise the standard deduction and income thresholds where tax rates take effect may mean savings for people in all income brackets.

For single taxpayers and for married individuals filing separately, the standard deduction rises to $13,850 for 2023, up $900 from 2022. The standard deduction for married couples filing jointly for tax is increasing by $1,800 from last year, to $27,700. And for heads of households, the standard deduction will be $20,800 for tax year 2023, up $1,400 from the amount for tax year 2022.

For those filing as a single person or filing separately from their spouses, the standard deduction is increasing by $900 to a total of $13,850. For people filing as heads of households, the standard deduction will be $20,800 for the upcoming tax year, up $1,400.

Data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics last week showed that compared to last year, rent is up 7.2%, electricity prices are up 15.5%, groceries are up 13%, and health insurance is about 30% more expensive.

The IRS is increasing the standard deductions for 2023 as inflation intensifies​

October 19, 2022 2:05 AM ET

The Internal Revenue Service is increasing its inflation adjustments for the 2023 tax year after prices for rent, groceries and gas have reached heights not seen in 40 years.

The announcement of adjustments is an annual occurrence, but in a year of high inflation, the move to raise the standard deduction and income thresholds where tax rates take effect may mean savings for people in all income brackets.

For single taxpayers and for married individuals filing separately, the standard deduction rises to $13,850 for 2023, up $900 from 2022. The standard deduction for married couples filing jointly for tax is increasing by $1,800 from last year, to $27,700. And for heads of households, the standard deduction will be $20,800 for tax year 2023, up $1,400 from the amount for tax year 2022.

For those filing as a single person or filing separately from their spouses, the standard deduction is increasing by $900 to a total of $13,850. For people filing as heads of households, the standard deduction will be $20,800 for the upcoming tax year, up $1,400.

Data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics last week showed that compared to last year, rent is up 7.2%, electricity prices are up 15.5%, groceries are up 13%, and health insurance is about 30% more expensive.
A gushing wound....here, put this band aid on it.

at least it's a small bandaid.

it's the thought that counts!
admiral-ackbar-its-a-trap-meme.jpg

I dont even remember how many of the concrete price raises I have seen in this thread or what the starting price was. Anyone know what it was July 2019 vs today, or what it will be shortly?

Feds gonna (possibly) raise rates again today...

Feds gonna (possibly) raise rates again today...

:laughing:

A bucket of water on a Barn fire...

Yet no one cares to protect the consumer. Paying more for less.

Imagine if you clock in for an 8hr day and work for five hours only - leave and stay clocked in. A shit storm in no time.

System is a scam.
Dude consumer protections starts with the consumer. Read the labels and know right away they shrunk it. Dont act like a victim. Oh my gawd, its only a gallon of icecream. I think it used to be bigger. Either buy cheaper, make your own or dont buy it. :flipoff2:

Anyways, going to start making a sourdough starter again. Had one going several years ago and loved it. English muffins, bread etc. only took a bit of flour and water to keep it up and had sourdough for days.

I dont even remember how many of the concrete price raises I have seen in this thread or what the starting price was. Anyone know what it was July 2019 vs today, or what it will be shortly?
Currently around the southeast I'm seeing $140-170cy with all the bullshit fees added in, depending on the location. Id say 2019 it was $90-$125

Top Back Refresh