What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

Natural gas utility just sent this out.
IMG_5725.jpg

Point taken.

*back then, you got a mediocre education for $20k.

*now, you get a less than mediocre education and indoctrinated into the cult of wokeness for $100k.
Quality of education aside, it’s no fucking shit how that price increase happened.

If the government will back a loan to any punk 18 year old for any degree they choose, why wouldn’t the universities just keep increasing prices to match?

I’m always entertained by the fact that absolutely nobody is talking about that.

Food Inflation Worst In America Since 1979​

CAT.shutterstock_1980000383-696x464.jpg

The prices of food purchased by American consumers in August suffered from the worst inflation in this country since 1979.
The overall consumer price index (CPI) at 8.3% in August was slightly lower than July’s 8.5%, but it only lowered because the price of gas saw a 10.6% decline for the month.
Food prices rose by 0.8% from July to August, but more importantly they rose by 11.4% year-over-year. That means the average price that American consumers paid for food in August 2022 was 11.4% more than what they paid in August of 2021, and to compound matters, food prices rose by 3.7% from August 2020 to August 2021.

With food prices continuing to increase, the CNN story below shows that this persistent and high inflation could be even higher through the rest of this year and hopefully moderating in 2023.
Grocery store price outlook
Executives and analysts expect grocery store inflation to hover around 12-13% for the rest of 2022.
Next year, the food inflation rate is expected to moderate — but that doesn't mean prices are going to drop.
w @dwbronner Grocery store prices aren't coming down anytime soon | CNN
— Nathaniel Meyersohn (@nmeyersohn) September 30, 2022

Some democrats cite the fact that the CPI has gone from 9.1% in June to 8.5% in July to 8.3% in August. However, the 9.1% in June was the highest since 1981, and the fact that gas prices at the pump have dropped so dramatically easily explains the slightly smaller increase in CPI.
With OPEC+ likely to lower oil production by as much as 1 million barrels per day in November, the price of gas could easily rebound very quickly and could even surpass the five-dollar per gallon price consumers were paying in May.
For the past six months, the annual CPI has remained above 8%, a number that is troubling both for the consumer and for democrats alike.
For American consumers, it means paying more for staple goods, gas, and other everyday purchases, not to mention luxury items that many can no longer afford.
For democrats, however, it could mean losing at least the house if not the senate in the upcoming midterm elections.
President Biden said it would “take more time and resolve to bring inflation down” and cited the “Inflation Reduction Act” as one of the methods being used to fight inflation.
According to Forbes, however, a recent “Morning Consult” poll shows that “57% of voters think the “Inflation Reduction Act” will have no impact at all or will actually make inflation worse.” Not a great sign for the White House’s greatest hope at convincing Americans that inflation will decrease.

The prices of food purchased by American consumers in August suffered from the worst inflation in this country since 1979.
The overall consumer price index (CPI) at 8.3% in August was slightly lower than July’s 8.5%, but it only lowered because the price of gas saw a 10.6% decline for the month.
Food prices rose by 0.8% from July to August, but more importantly they rose by 11.4% year-over-year. That means the average price that American consumers paid for food in August 2022 was 11.4% more than what they paid in August of 2021, and to compound matters, food prices rose by 3.7% from August 2020 to August 2021.

With food prices continuing to increase, the CNN story below shows that this persistent and high inflation could be even higher through the rest of this year and hopefully moderating in 2023.

Some democrats cite the fact that the CPI has gone from 9.1% in June to 8.5% in July to 8.3% in August. However, the 9.1% in June was the highest since 1981, and the fact that gas prices at the pump have dropped so dramatically easily explains the slightly smaller increase in CPI.
With OPEC+ likely to lower oil production by as much as 1 million barrels per day in November, the price of gas could easily rebound very quickly and could even surpass the five-dollar per gallon price consumers were paying in May.
For the past six months, the annual CPI has remained above 8%, a number that is troubling both for the consumer and for democrats alike.
For American consumers, it means paying more for staple goods, gas, and other everyday purchases, not to mention luxury items that many can no longer afford.
For democrats, however, it could mean losing at least the house if not the senate in the upcoming midterm elections.
President Biden said it would “take more time and resolve to bring inflation down” and cited the “Inflation Reduction Act” as one of the methods being used to fight inflation.
According to Forbes, however, a recent “Morning Consult” poll shows that “57% of voters think the “Inflation Reduction Act” will have no impact at all or will actually make inflation worse.” Not a great sign for the White House’s greatest hope at convincing Americans that inflation will decrease.
Sounds like they are laying the ground work for after the elections....but it's not our fault.

What party was in office in 1979?
Democrat Party

What party raised taxes in that same time period/president admin.?
Democrat Party

Interest rate on a car loan in 1980/81: 22+%
Interest rate on a home in 1980/81: 15+%

%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F11%2Fthinking-emoji-meme-gif-6.gif

Natural gas utility just sent this out.
IMG_5725.jpg
Our power company sent a similar notification a month ago along with an email saying the price of natural gas went up and they’re passing the cost to us. I laughed thinking of all the people who think businesses will absorb these increased costs.

My question would be ‘what are you doing to keep rates low? Eliminating bonuses? Reducing maintenance? Cutting people’s hours and jobs?’

Setting up my order to pick up tomorrow from Walmart their store brand is $1.48
I hear you.
I grew up with Preggo and Ragu SS.

I tried store-brand: tastes like shit
I used Preggo: taste/flavor I'm used to.
I tried Rao's: daaaaaaaamn; great tasting sauce.

Since I eat Italian pasta dishes maybe 3 times a year; I decided I want a more home-cooked tasting sauce vs industrial made sauce.

Y'all some fancy motherfuckers. I get that store brand pasta sauce.
Compromise
Being a poor/divorced/disabled/fixed income hermit; I've had to master that concept.

Since I only buy it three or less times a year; I decided I want an excellent spaghetti sauce in a jar.

Foods I've completely eliminated from my food budget:
All chips variations
All sodas
All cookies
All ice cream
All breads
Milk

Y'all some fancy motherfuckers. I buy 28oz cans of puree and make my own pasta sauce.

I'm half Siciliano. If I had to pay $10 for a jar of sauce I'd still be renting.

Compromise
Being a poor/divorced/disabled/fixed income hermit; I've had to master that concept.

Since I only buy it three or less times a year; I decided I want an excellent spaghetti sauce in a jar.

Foods I've completely eliminated from my food budget:
All chips variations
All sodas
All cookies
All ice cream
All breads
Milk

Most of what you eliminated makes you one healthy dude in my book. :smokin:

I'm half Siciliano. If I had to pay $10 for a jar of sauce I'd still be renting.

Most of what you eliminated makes you one healthy dude in my book. :smokin:
My best friend is Italian who married a Sicilian.

I've had home-made spaghetti sauce.
As in smash the tomatoes/lay out on a table to dry/kind of spaghetti sauce.:smokin:

"Financial necessity is the mother of fiscal maturity".
After my divorce I had to relearn financial prudence.

All the foods listed are completely unnecessary.
My Bronco has parts that are wearing out/worn out.

I have choices to make.
I've now chosen to eat to sustain my existence only, rather than for also pleasure.

Back in tech school we couldn't afford butter or milk. We would make mac and cheese and just leave a little water in the bottom to mix the cheese powder in with. :laughing:
BTDT. Just as an aside I was at the grocery store today and hit up the Dollar store too. That mac and cheese was $2.50 at the grocery store and a buck and a half at the Dollar store. IIRC back in the day we were paying .25 a box. :eek:

from the Bee

Biden Calls Dave Ramsey's Radio Show For Advice On Paying Off $31 Trillion
FINANCE·Oct 5, 2022 · BabylonBee.com
633db3138bfd0633db3138bfd1.jpg

NASHVILLE, TN — This week, U.S. President Joe Biden called into the radio show of personal finance guru Dave Ramsey, asking for financial advice for paying off his $31 trillion debt.
"You spent WHAT??? You need a BUDGET, buster – you've been spending money you don't have, and you're BROKE!" Ramsey roared into his headset and upset his paperwork on the table, hurling his pen across the room after the caller admitted that the total debt amounted to $31 trillion. "$31 trillion dollars? With a "T"? You'd better get ready for beans and rice, rice and beans while you're working through the 7 Ramsey Solutions baby steps to get out of this big STUPID mess you've made!"
At first, the call had proceeded according to Ramsey's normal rhythm of uncovering, asking probing questions, followed by targeted recommendations for reaching financial freedom. Things derailed, however, when the caller elaborated on what had initially been positioned as a "small deficit," owning up to spending $6 trillion per year while making only $4 trillion per year, causing Ramsey to explode. "You spent two TRILLION more than you make? You got a freaking credit card from CHINA? WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"
The caller had tried to interject excuses, blaming "MAGA Republicans" and "deer wearing kevlar vests" and "corn pop," but Ramsey was having none of it. He bellowed into his headset "You need to buy a lot of envelopes for these trillions because you've been living dumb. D-U-M-B DUMB!"
Ramsey had softened as the caller began whimpering, and switched tactics, painting the idyllic picture of how good it would feel to "tell the money where to go instead of wondering where it went." He encouraged the caller that getting on a budget would "feel like getting a raise," which seemed to comfort the caller, who began to gently purr, snore, and sniff.
According to sources, the caller has since been enrolled in Financial Peace University, sent a copy of "Total Money Makeover," and been gifted a premium subscription to the EveryDollar app for aides to drag and drop every transaction of the $31 trillion debt, in keeping with the budget set up by the personalized plan from a Ramsey Solutions coach.
At publishing time, the national debt had climbed to $58 trillion.

12 Genius Ways For Congress To Pay Off The $31 Trillion National Debt
Oct 5, 2022 · BabylonBee.com
633de6949eff8633de6949eff9.jpg

America's national debt just passed $31 trillion for the first time in history. Yikes! Don't worry though, we at The Babylon Bee have a few brilliant money-raising ideas up our sleeves that Congress probably hasn't heard of yet.

You're welcome, America!

1. Burn down the Lincoln Memorial for the insurance money: A foolproof plan.
  2. Sell the moon to China for $31 trillion: Maybe throw in California for good measure. Nobody will miss it!
  3. Two words: BAKE SALE! If we sell around 10 trillion brownies, we'll have that debt licked in no time! And we hear Ted Cruz makes a mean brownie.
  4. Get Russia to invade us and watch the aid money roll in: The surest way to untold riches!
  5. Ask every American to sell just one kidney: True patriots will sell both!
  6. Have Nancy Pelosi skip Starbucks and make her own coffee at home for the next 31 trillion days: We assume she'll continue to live at least that long.
  7. Take out a reverse mortgage on Alaska: Most countries do this sort of thing toward the end of their lives.
  8. Make the FBI raise extra cash by delivering pizza on their way to raid Trump supporters: Those armored assault trucks are great at keeping pizza really hot.
  9. Have Biden ask Hunter to ask his Chinese employers to forgive the debt: Pretty please?
  10. Have Janet Yellen marry Tom Brady and then divorce him to take half his money: Come on Tom, take one for the team!
  11. Print 31 trillion more dollars: Wait — isn't this what we're already doing?
  12. Stop spending more money than we have: No wait, that would be crazy. Never mind.
If you know someone in Congress, be sure to share these genius tips with them! We've GOT this, folks!

Screenshot_20221013-210421.png

We have Amazon subscribe and save. Wondered wtf we ordered that was $82. Clicked it and it was the dog food. It jumped up quick.

Screenshot_20221013-210830.png

Screenshot_20221013-210421.png

We have Amazon subscribe and save. Wondered wtf we ordered that was $82. Clicked it and it was the dog food. It jumped up quick.

Screenshot_20221013-210830.png
Yes...our usual dog food has doubled (+ a bit more) in the last year.

Top Back Refresh