What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

We just switched to State Farm from Geico. We put our cars, rental insurance, the rental and added (the 65 lincoln and cottage) it went up by only $40 a month. In this day and age I can live with that.
I initially switched because they were only about 60% of what I paid for Progressive. That savings disappeared pretty quickly after I switched though.

We just switched to State Farm from Geico. We put our cars, rental insurance, the rental and added (the 65 lincoln and cottage) it went up by only $40 a month. In this day and age I can live with that.
And fuck Geico, and the Geico guns. Police given laser gun to trap speeders I knoe it was 30 years ago but damn, that's some shady shit.

And the Arfcom/Cal Guns/etc. say they're anti 2A.

I initially switched because they were only about 60% of what I paid for Progressive. That savings disappeared pretty quickly after I switched though.
I had it out with the Progressive agent about my rates. I have a few shitboxes on my policy, and my rates were around 90 a month. Last policy renewal was a hike of roughly 25%... Nope. 20+ years and a grumpy old man phone call later my policy stayed exactly the same. Fawk insurance co's.... they are all whores.

I stick with Progressive because they cover luggage and gear for the motorcycles.

I thought I had set myself up for longer term success with career moves and education over the last decade. Now here I am at 31 realising I have zero idea what to invest in our do to protect what I have or advance my life long term when these fuck sticks keep doing all this bullshit:mad3:.

Rentals.... Yada Yada Yada. Great, everyone thinks they will be the next slum lord millionaire. A whole lot fail at that game and it's a shit ton of work. By the time I could afford to try entering that game housing prices were nuts. I regret not doing it then but I sure as shit am not buying in now.

The inflation along with the expected crash means I don't even think I'll be able to afford to buy things like properties.

Yes, this is just a depressed rant

Oh, and State Farm has a good reputation in paying claims.
They were good to deal with Feb '21 when I put my Tacoma in the ditch on black ice. Did 10k worth of damage, took it to a local body shop and they paid to have it fixed no sweat.. :grinpimp:

I thought I had set myself up for longer term success with career moves and education over the last decade. Now here I am at 31 realising I have zero idea what to invest in our do to protect what I have or advance my life long term when these fuck sticks keep doing all this bullshit:mad3:.

Rentals.... Yada Yada Yada. Great, everyone thinks they will be the next slum lord millionaire. A whole lot fail at that game and it's a shit ton of work. By the time I could afford to try entering that game housing prices were nuts. I regret not doing it then but I sure as shit am not buying in now.

The inflation along with the expected crash means I don't even think I'll be able to afford to buy things like properties.

Build out a commercial lot. Fuck residential rentals. Low taxes and decent economy makes your state is a great place for cre investment.

once the tax hikes hit, we'll be lamenting 9.1% inflation... shoot, we'll be begging for it.

After pandemic and seeing the BS they pulled with basically allowing renters to squat, why would anyone want to get into the rental property game?

After pandemic and seeing the BS they pulled with basically allowing renters to squat, why would anyone want to get into the rental property game?
Agreed whole heartedly. Which is another reason that I have no idea what to invest my free $ into anymore. Everything is being attacked left and right.

At this point I almost want to just say fuck it and start blowing an extra 60k/yr instead of investing:shaking:

Build out a commercial lot. Fuck residential rentals. Low taxes and decent economy makes your state is a great place for cre investment.
I'll have to look into that further. I know a ton of commercial real estate (smaller scale) in the area that's been with no interest for a while.

So much in my area is big company/developer based.

Now how do I get in on the storage unit craze. I still struggle to fathom how that's such a big business:shaking:

I'm interested, I just need to learn how to get into commercial development.

Agreed whole heartedly. Which is another reason that I have no idea what to invest my free $ into anymore. Everything is being attacked left and right.

At this point I almost want to just say fuck it and start blowing an extra 60k/yr instead of investing:shaking:
Well fwiw I made out pretty good after the 2008 recession, I was barely making any money, but had free cash on hand. I tripled my investments that I bought near the bottom and bought a house for a real good deal at the tail end of it.

I guess that advice would be just be patient grasshopper, with chaos and crashing there is opportunity. Shit if you have that much extra cash that you don't want to dump into a retirement account, invest in a local business or something. Another forum I'm on there is a guy that does this and it sounds interesting.

I'll have to look into that further. I know a ton of commercial real estate (smaller scale) in the area that's been with no interest for a while.

Now how do I get in on the storage unit craze. I still struggle to fathom how that's such a big business:shaking:

They say close proximity to a retirement community, when grammy and papa can't bear to let that gold cherub lamp go, but no room for it in the apartment. Then when they die, it's usually a while till the kids tackle the storage space, so they keep paying.

Exactly. I hate all forms of government handouts, but if you are going to make it illegal to collect rent, or in the case of lockdowns, illegal to work, you need to be 100% compensated for those losses.
privatize profit, socialize loss? Didn't we all bitch about that in 08 during the auto bailout?

How about the government does its job and enforces contracts instead?

Definitely need to research the environment. Plenty junk stuff id stay away from is listed like convenience stores, failed restaurants, and office space.

Ive been looking at warehousing and industrial but not on the mega scale. Sub 50k sqft and divisible space.

landlords are greedy... that was the message in MN.
Yeah, Goddamn them for wanting to provide housing and make a profit while doing it.

I remember Silver Zuks stories about his rental bldg. Problem with low income of Section 8 is that the tenants are arre dope heads and they cause all manner of problems for the landlord and other tenants. It cost me $20k to rehab my house after I kicked the stupid twat out. She was the daughter of the people down the street and we were from the same home town, but she lived like a pig. No cleaning the carpets even after dog piss & vomit, no call from her to tell me there was a pin hole leak in wall, and had made quite the black mold farm. Stupid twat, you're not getting your security deposit back, go live with your parents. :flipoff:

privatize profit, socialize loss? Didn't we all bitch about that in 08 during the auto bailout?

How about the government does its job and enforces contracts instead?
Not what I said, it's if the government makes it illegal for you to conduct business they need to make you whole. Nothing to do with losses like 2008, that was malinvestment and whole bunch of other factors. The pandemic was "you can't work so stay home and you cant evict people so tough shit".

step 1 - control the schools.

just saying.
Family friend doing homeschool thru their local public school system.... there is apparently no way to misspell words at elementary level. If a kid wants to spell it a certain way, than that is how they spell it and that is completely fine.

Only way to make it make sense is pull the tinfoil a little tighter and say it is intentional.

Not what I said, it's if the government makes it illegal for you to conduct business they need to make you whole. Nothing to do with losses like 2008, that was malinvestment and whole bunch of other factors. The pandemic was "you can't work so stay home and you cant evict people so tough shit".

Anytime the government pays, everyone pays. It's a socialized cost model. Doesn't matter the cause, the result is the same.
Gov't has way too much control... and landlords too little.

Anytime the government pays, everyone pays. It's a socialized cost model. Doesn't matter the cause, the result is the same.
Gov't has way too much control... and landlords too little.
Quit being a Gary and missing my point. Your talking to a dude who thinks the largest a government should ever be is the size of an HOA.

My point is we had a government making it illegal to conduct normal business they need to compensate those individuals, I don't care if they have to sell office furniture out of the capitol building to fund it. And yes they have way too much control that's obvious, and also why fuck rental properties as an investment.

If you are 31, you have time on your side. Regular purchases of VOO or something similar in an investment account like Warren Buffet recommends.

This is my position... and I want to buy some rental property... it's the one issue holding me back to be honest.
I was ready to pull the trigger in early 2020, projecting summer/fall I would pick up a couple units and have them ready to go in short order as passive income while taking advantage of the historically-low rates. I noped the fuck out of that idea when the moratorium was announced and I have refused to consider that path ever since.

I have considered the storage industry... but with a twist. Indoor, climate-controlled storage units large enough for those big Class A and 5th wheel RVs. People want to protect them and a lot of people can't park them at home. The barrier to entry, however, is the large up-front cost of construction, permitting, advertising, and then the huge utility hookups and bills that will be due before the first renters even move in. I would venture to guess the up-front cost, pre-pandemic, at about $300k, and now probably closer to 3/4 mil.

Top Back Refresh