What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

Get what you need while you can, I read someplace that those prices will climb / shortages incoming.

I buy stuff for work projects, seems shelves are bare when I am after safety red/yellow majority of time. Why I tend to buy them out when I find it in stock at HD. Think its over $50/gal at present.

Does the stuff go bad sitting. If i bought 50-100 cans could I expect it to still spray and stick 10 years from now?

The local Italian restaurant had lunch specials for $8.95 last year. This week they are $12.95.

Pizza was $1.95 a slice and now its nearly $5. This is going to devastate all restaurants at these prices.

We had a locally owned owned barbecue place close to do the inflation.
The local Italian restaurant had lunch specials for $8.95 last year. This week they are $12.95.

Pizza was $1.95 a slice and now its nearly $5. This is going to devastate all restaurants at these prices.

Does the stuff go bad sitting. If i bought 50-100 cans could I expect it to still spray and stick 10 years from now?
2BB no 1st hand experience long term - I also have some old paint in garage at least 8-10 years old (spray cans). Come garage remodel time I will see if they are any good.

Here is more info I found earlier:

Dunno about unopened can paint, but if you've opened it... before you put it back in storage, grab the mig, crack the lid, and blast it full of gas.

buddy just filled up his oil tank, ~$4.60 for heating oil in NH along the southern border area.

oil place I drive by on my way home got tired of changing the sign and just says "call". I'm gambling it goes down some more before winter, not filling up yet
Yeah, I am gambling it goes down more too. 4.60 sounds like a steal compared to 2 months ago

fdgh.jpg

Was talking to a GC that I've worked for a bunch, 7 years ago a store they build all the time cost 1.8 million. Today that same building is about 4.5 million. That doesn't take into account land prices, just construction and site work. They are still building stores as fast as they can even at that price.

i priced a front idler for my skid steer a few years ago, 400 bucks. 750 today, looks like i may just build it up and make a set of bearing fit.

I've been saying its a solid 25%. 20% at least.
To me the easiest way to judge inflation is to look at high volume low profit stores....like dollar tree. Some will say its only a quarter and that is true but....its a 25% increase.

Items at fast food that moved from the dollar menu to $1.30 or the menu itself is now 25 to 30% higher.

Was talking to a GC that I've worked for a bunch, 7 years ago a store they build all the time cost 1.8 million. Today that same building is about 4.5 million. That doesn't take into account land prices, just construction and site work. They are still building stores as fast as they can even at that price.

We had a contractor's lunch yesterday. Afterwards I was talking to a competitor that I get along with pretty well and we were discussing the current jobs outlook through next year. If you are able to handle large projects that take a lot of management overhead, 15+ workers per job, and last longer than a year, there's more work out there to bid than I've seen in quite awhile in our area. The bid boards currently have few if any jobs for the smaller shops that like the 3-5 man jobs that they can bang out in a few months.

My opinion on why is because of material lead times. An 18-24 month project can absorb lead time issues where a 4-6 month project can't. Multi-meter gear is currently 18-24 months out. Same with major HVAC equipment depending on manufacturer. Hell, we've had multiple projects delayed because they can't get door hardware. Those small job developers are pushing in the clutch and waiting for lead times to get better, which now our gear manufacturers are telling us are only getting worse.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, none of us in the trades can believe construction is still driving as hard as it is.

looked at tires yesterday... seem to be up another 20% since April/May.

looked at tires yesterday... seem to be up another 20% since April/May.
My beater/ DD car needed tires a few months ago. Fuck it, we're going to the belts this time. Wife drove it the other day "Why does the steering wheel vibrate so much on the freeway?" Because I'm gonna get 100k out of these Michelins... they don't get replaced until they start throwing sparks.

My beater/ DD car needed tires a few months ago. Fuck it, we're going to the belts this time. Wife drove it the other day "Why does the steering wheel vibrate so much on the freeway?" Because I'm gonna get 100k out of these Michelins... they don't get replaced until they start throwing sparks.
Is that legal driving a car with Michelins to a cooper tire plant? :lmao::flipoff2:

You see a little bit of everything out there. I'll replace them with some coops just to get my 35% discount, which will basically have them priced at full retail early '21. :laughing:
linglongdongfengtongspang happy shiny long march tire company
only tires to buy

You see a little bit of everything out there. I'll replace them with some coops just to get my 35% discount, which will basically have them priced at full retail early '21. :laughing:
2024 we'll see you with tree rounds for tires. :flipoff2:

To me the easiest way to judge inflation is to look at high volume low profit stores....like dollar tree. Some will say its only a quarter and that is true but....its a 25% increase.

Items at fast food that moved from the dollar menu to $1.30 or the menu itself is now 25 to 30% higher.
Good thing they don't include food or fuel in the inflation numbers, that could be embarrassing.

linglongdongfengtongspang happy shiny long march tire company
only tires to buy
Actually the chynee make okayish tires, excluding trailer tires. There may be a few out there decent by now, but most of the ST's are built out of scrap.

It's one of the reasons ST production pretty much all went to China. Different DOT rules for the trailers, you can basically make them out of trash. It would cost too much $$$ to do it at US factories and just not worth the expense. Materials are cheap/free, but very labor intensive.

Actually the chynee make okayish tires, excluding trailer tires. There may be a few out there decent by now, but most of the ST's are built out of scrap.

It's one of the reasons ST production pretty much all went to China. Different DOT rules for the trailers, you can basically make them out of trash. It would cost too much $$$ to do it at US factories and just not worth the expense. Materials are cheap/free, but very labor intensive.
So ST = Scrap Tire?:laughing:

I dunno man, maybe they're different in the last few years, but in '15 or so (when we started refusing to even touch bottom-barrel tire brands like kenda) they were kinda trash with half of them acting ply separated right outta the box

:laughing:

All I'm saying is, get some 16" for your trailer, and run whatever load E's you happen to like.

BUT, do as I say and not as I do. My car hauler still has Hop-Sing ST's on it, with 2 spares.

:laughing:
So, is there a trailer tire you would recommend? I had a blow out on the camper a few years ago on a fairly new tire and luckily it only tore up the underside that I was able to easily repair.

Bought two more new ones but I'm sure they are china trash also.

I dunno man, maybe they're different in the last few years, but in '15 or so (when we started refusing to even touch bottom-barrel tire brands like kenda) they were kinda trash with half of them acting ply separated right outta the box
Well I said "okay-ish"... I didn't say they were good. :laughing:

Alot of big brand American tires are made in China. The Ching-Shin Groundmurder MT will be the same green tire as the (America Brand) Whatever MT etc.

So, is there a trailer tire you would recommend?
No, not really. :laughing:

I've heard *someone is making decent ST's now, but I can't remember the brand. I planned on 16's and a load E truck 225/75/16. Probably Discoverer whatever street terrain E's, but honestly any load E LT would do.

Top Back Refresh