What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

you're learning
now cut down your earnings
Working towards that goal. Once I've secured a nice bit of land I'll be able to reduce the gov theft majorly. Any money my business makes after that goes to buying materials, tools, and equipment.

Reactions: DMG
Put me as another in the "fuck it, I eat well" camp. Single, no kids and spend 100-125/wk on good food.

I eat things like dirt cheap oatmeal for breakfast & rice at lunch time. But after that I like salmon & tuna fillets, halibut along with good beef and some poultry for both lunch and dinner. I basically only buy expensive cheese. I work from home and cook it all myself.

At the end of the day, saving 40$ a week is only 2k/yr. Not that much. For that cost I would rather eat healthy and like a king every day of the week. I could cut that in half if I needed to.
:usa:

I’m a god damn heathen to you guys. Last night the wife wasn’t feeling too good I wasn’t all that hungry so I just cooked up a instant pot full of white rice. Me and the kids at the whole pot. Plain white rice a little butter and some soy sauce nothing else:lmao::homer:
My oldest will go to town on plain white rice with soy sauce...
The others prefer something else in it.
What is really good is throwing some chicken on top and cooking it for 15 mins in the instant pot.
Add some frozen peas and you have a great dinner in a hurry.

Aaron Z

I’m a god damn heathen to you guys. Last night the wife wasn’t feeling too good I wasn’t all that hungry so I just cooked up a instant pot full of white rice. Me and the kids at the whole pot. Plain white rice a little butter and some soy sauce nothing else:lmao::homer:
Awhile back I purchased rice. Almost got the 5lb bag…. Till I noticed the 20lb bag was $1.50 more.

i dont tell the wife to make the budget go farther, i just ask if she needs more. then i go and freelance for an ungodly amount money for steaks
F10A375F-77BE-4CA7-ACC5-039FF35EECA6.jpeg
…and yet you eat off a cookie sheet, can’t afford paper plates:flipoff2:

Awhile back I purchased rice. Almost got the 5lb bag…. Till I noticed the 20lb bag was $1.50 more.
We do the same only we buy it at Costco, 20lbs for about half the price of 5lbs, it doesn't hurt that we both really like rice either. I would say we probably go through 2 of those bags a year.

I have zero fears or concerns about inflation, recession or financial doomsday.
Just took a 1 hour drive down the highway and the number of
Overlanders
Motorhomes
Road bikes, expedition bikes, crotch rockets
$100k trucks pulling $100k trailers
Semis loaded with logs going to the mill
Semis loaded with lumber from the mill
Trucks with mining concentrate
Concrete and gravel trucks to and from construction sites
Plus all the other 'regular' traffic, with important people going to do important things, all burning $2.29 CAD fuel
And the BOATS! OH MY THE BOATS!
Plus all the businesses that are open all over the place.
Have to admit though, it is pretty slim pickings if you want to buy a vehicle these days.

And this is just a tiny slice of rural BC, between 2 cities of less than 10k population each.

Whatever is happening doesn't seem to be happening here

heh, electric bill came out 10m ago.

$120 more than last month, and we used less power. :laughing:

Whatever is happening doesn't seem to be happening here
There's way more toys/trailers/etc for sale this year though. How much of that is inflation squeeze, and how much of it is people selling stuff because they don't use it/can now travel abroad, I don't know.

Still short on new pick'emup trucks, but that should get resolved soon and the market flooded.

There is that. All of the household debt trackers show people are blowing through whatever they saved while locked up (figuratively, mentally, or literally) during COVID and are now putting everything on the LOC or credit card.

i think the mentality is get into debt, enjoy the ride, walk away when it crashes.

How long before they figure out how to tax you on that free heat or ban wood stoves because they speed up climate change?

:flipoff2:
That's old news.

economists know only what they were fed in college. I'd argue a vast majority don't understand diddly about the economy. They are less accurate than the weather "announcer" on the nightly news.

Some of the biggest hikes are well known — gasoline has jumped by 59.9 per cent, and air fares by 34.1 percent, according to BLS.

But other everyday items have also soared in price, including eggs (33.1 percent), margarine (34.5 percent) and chicken (18.6 percent).

Take coffee, as an example. BLS data show that roasted ground coffee sells for $5.79 per pound, as a nationwide average. This past year, the price of coffee has risen 16.8 percent.

Had inflation been under control, that same pound of coffee would sell for $4.70, meaning consumers are losing out to the tune of $1.09.

The same goes for an ordinary men's suit, which now sells for $349.00. These have risen by 24.9 percent, meaning the same two-piece should really cost $267.34, and shoppers are spending an extra $81.66 for the same item.

This all adds up, and particularly hurts low-income families. The median household income was $67,521 in 2020, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

There are some exceptions. The cost of televisions has dropped by 12.7 percent and for smartphones by 20 percent, often because of promotional deals to stop demand from waning.

But overall, 2022 has been costly for the average American, and wages are not keeping pace.

As a result, families have cut back on everything from entertainment to groceries and travel to help make ends meet.

About a third are using their credit cards more to fill the gap.

Top Back Refresh