What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

It's too hard to define "shit wages" as it's a location specific thing. $50k in So-Cal is poverty level, $50k in small town south is solid middle class.

$20 an hour is okay money or absolute shit depending on where you're at.

A nice 3/2 house here is around $150k - $180k. The cost of living here is low, but $11/hr is shit regardless of where you live. $16-20/hr is entry level trades pay. The local Deere plant starts production line employees at $24/hr IIRC.

A nice 3/2 house here is around $150k - $180k. The cost of living here is low, but $11/hr is shit regardless of where you live. $16-20/hr is entry level trades pay. The local Deere plant starts production line employees at $24/hr IIRC.
Yea $11 is high school kid at Burger Wopper money.

Our...er well there's a large factory near here that utility pay is $15.something. It's been $15.something since 2002. No one, I mean NO ONE is going to work in the big hot nasty 12 hour shit place for $15.something. In 2002 that $80k house is now $195k. A new Z71 was $24k. Not even a penny raise.

This place is diabolically short handed, can't keep 90% of new hires more than a month, is behind on production, and is setting $$$ records every quarter.

This is obviously not the place I work. Like, obviously. I'm just posting hearsay.

I try to revolve everything back to ~20 years ago when I started working.

Brand new house was $110k, first job (no experience) was $10/hr, fuel was $1.80.

So yes, anything under $20/hr today starting pay is laughable.

I try to revolve everything back to ~20 years ago when I started working.

Brand new house was $110k, first job (no experience) was $10/hr, fuel was $1.80.

So yes, anything under $20/hr today starting pay is laughable.
Lucky you.

30 years ago, first job, $4.20. Gas was $1.25, homes were ~$100k

Now, I make ~$30 (+6.9x), Gas is $4.75 (+3.8x), home is $230k (+2.3x). Life is good compared to the early 90s..

Lucky you.

Now, I make ~$30 (+6.9x), Gas is $4.75 (+3.8x), home is $230k (+2.3x). Life is good compared to the early 90s..
Where the fuck was you at with $1.25 gas in 1992? :confused:

Premium was .99 cents. Maybe $1.02 at the old Exxon that still had full service.

Where the fuck was you at with $1.25 gas in 1992? :confused:

Premium was .99 cents. Maybe $1.02 at the old Exxon that still had full service.
Yep...around here is was about .85 to .90.

One of the local guys is advertising $39 a hour for machinists. It’s probably pretty easy machine the aluminum extrusions they make. That more than the last place my wife worked at and those guys were running Mazak Integrex machines nailing .0001” on parts for their bearing they make.

Last edited:
The national average for regular unleaded in 1992 was $1.22:homer:
Maybe? Maybe I was in some kind of super cheap gas region? :confused:

I was in HS in 92, I have zero memory of $1+ gas. I remember seeing $1.20 the first time in maybe 96-ish. I remember putting $6 in a motorcycle and kinda freaking out. :laughing:

Lucky you.

But you are not making an apples to apples comparison. You are comparing the purchasing power of a clueless teenager vs a man with 30 years work experience.

Maybe? Maybe I was in some kind of super cheap gas region? :confused:

I was in HS in 92, I have zero memory of $1+ gas. I remember seeing $1.20 the first time in maybe 96-ish. I remember putting $6 in a motorcycle and kinda freaking out. :laughing:
You've got a couple years on me, but my first tank of gas was 99 cents a gallon. That was...99? 2000? after 9/11 everything went to shit though.

Tennessee

The national average for regular unleaded in 1992 was $1.22:homer:
That may have been the "national" average but in East TN gas was under a dollar. I was driving a 77 f150 4x4 with a 300 6cyl 4 speed.

It's too hard to define "shit wages" as it's a location specific thing. $50k in So-Cal is poverty level, $50k in small town south is solid middle class.

$20 an hour is okay money or absolute shit depending on where you're at.

Hell if I made $20 an hour consistently I'd be rich beyond my wildest dreams! :laughing:

Gas when I started driving in 2000 or so was $1.09 a gallon here, and I made $5.15 an hour at the local hardware store. :homer:

On the current topic, I’ve noticed our grocery bill has gone from $400-$450 a month to $1,000 a month.

It’s like the Obama years all over again when you’re just broke…and the wife and I make really good money.

Gas when I started driving in 2000 or so was $1.09 a gallon here, and I made $5.15 an hour at the local hardware store. :homer:

On the current topic, I’ve noticed our grocery bill has gone from $400-$450 a month to $1,000 a month.

It’s like the Obama years all over again when you’re just broke…and the wife and I make really good money.

We sold a 3000sqft house and moved into a 1400sqft. Well insulated, new-ish high efficiency furnace, new condensing unit. Our electric bills and gas bills are higher here than our old house, I hate to think what the people that bought our old place are paying with everything being so much more expensive.

Our food bills about mirror yours. We also usually like to go out to eat 1-2 times a week at local places to support their business. What used to be a $50 burger/beer bill is $100 now.

We paid cash for this house and only have two $20k or less auto loans, and are not saving any more money than we were before with a $1k/month mortgage payment.

It’s fucking ridiculous.

That may have been the "national" average but in East TN gas was under a dollar. I was driving a 77 f150 4x4 with a 300 6cyl 4 speed.
It was a lot higher than Nashville area. At one point in time, the price differential was great enough that it made economic sense for me to drive up to Franklin, Kentucky to get gas where it was consistently 25 cents or more cheaper.

We sold a 3000sqft house and moved into a 1400sqft. Well insulated, new-ish high efficiency furnace, new condensing unit. Our electric bills and gas bills are higher here than our old house, I hate to think what the people that bought our old place are paying with everything being so much more expensive.

Our food bills about mirror yours. We also usually like to go out to eat 1-2 times a week at local places to support their business. What used to be a $50 burger/beer bill is $100 now.

We paid cash for this house and only have two $20k or less auto loans, and are not saving any more money than we were before with a $1k/month mortgage payment.

It’s fucking ridiculous.

Last year we had an abundance of cash left over from every pay. It has pretty much disappeared and is non-existent now.

This is when you basically get by and never get ahead. Even those people pulling in $250k a year and swimming in debt will feel the pinch.

Last year we had an abundance of cash left over from every pay. It has pretty much disappeared and is non-existent now.
Same.

Minimal debt, both make great middle class $$$ for our area, even with little kids we could go and spend whatever we wanted and pile up savings.

Now the savings deposit has been turned off, 401k loss is greater than what my 1st house was, and the money in both is worth half what it was just a few years ago.

Good. Fuck them. They and their stupid debt fueled purchasing are a large part of why everything everyone wants to buy is overpriced.

No it’s not. Supply and demand is why.

There are stupid people everywhere: in debt and debt free.

I just had to drop my truck off at the dealer for a recall. Their lot was empty. So, any newish vehicle is selling at a premium because supply is down.

On the topic of used beaters, stupid debt free people are paying $6,000 for a $1,500 car, because they ain’t got no payments still.

It’s a whole lot of reasons why everything is so expensive now.

Hard to argue with this, it punishes savers for being responsible
Just a thought-

If we go full on Venezuela crash, worst case scenario, I think the hundred thousandaires with their insane debt and property full of new awesome shit are going to make out better than the responsible/ sensible people.

Just a thought-

If we go full on Venezuela crash, worst case scenario, I think the hundred thousandaires with their insane debt and property full of new awesome shit are going to make out better than the responsible/ sensible people.
sad but true, I thought real serious about getting in real-estate debt just to fight the inflation.

No it’s not. Supply and demand is why.

There are stupid people everywhere: in debt and debt free.

I just had to drop my truck off at the dealer for a recall. Their lot was empty. So, any newish vehicle is selling at a premium because supply is down.

On the topic of used beaters, stupid debt free people are paying $6,000 for a $1,500 car, because they ain’t got no payments still.

It’s a whole lot of reasons why everything is so expensive now.

Is it that hard to not be stupid? I haven't bought a vehicle in years because of this shit. I'm just fixing what I got and I can do that.

sad but true, I thought real serious about getting in real-estate debt just to fight the inflation.
I'm hoping if we go down that road we go down it far enough that it gets violent. Sure violence is bad but that environment would favor me a hell of a lot more than it would favor the people around me so I win relatively speaking.

Just a thought-

Yup
Indeed. The only reason I haven't is the crap the Administration pulled via the CDC, then doubled-own in defiance of the courts. I'm not going into debt on rentals now that the precedent has been set that the government can proclaim renters can live for free without threat of eviction.

I'll be dropping that cash on home "improvements" instead (city says we all have to hook up to their new sewer line they ran down our street to the tune of $15k each plus another $10k to the contractors to tie-in and pump/destroy the septic tank).

Is it that hard to not be stupid? I haven't bought a vehicle in years because of this shit. I'm just fixing what I got and I can do that.

I'm hoping if we go down that road we go down it far enough that it gets violent. Sure violence is bad but that environment would favor me a hell of a lot more than it would favor the people around me so I win relatively speaking.

It really is. Stupid people ultimately drive the American economy. :laughing:

Same.

Minimal debt, both make great middle class $$$ for our area, even with little kids we could go and spend whatever we wanted and pile up savings.

Now the savings deposit has been turned off, 401k loss is greater than what my 1st house was, and the money in both is worth half what it was just a few years ago.

Right there with ya. I’m comfortable we can ride out a 3-4 year crash, but more than that will get a little rough. Still doable, but will be a major pain in the ass.

Right there with ya. I’m comfortable we can ride out a 3-4 year crash, but more than that will get a little rough. Still doable, but will be a major pain in the ass.

My daily drivers are starting to suffer from rust and the state is cracking down hard on small lick em and stick em guys.

I’ll pay the fine getting caught with no inspection before I pay $600 a month on a new pos vehicle.

This is what will pinch us. Our old stuff failing and forcing us to overspend when it shouldn’t be necessary.

I always wondered why coal counties in WV is filled with dilapidated homes covered in tarps. Now I see why. They just don’t have the money to fix things.

If we go this route we will never make it back to “good times” in our lifetime.

Top Back Refresh