What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

Lumber futures back down to some degree of normal.

lumber.PNG

Not reflected by local lumber pricing. Slight drop only so far. Last summer it took more than a month for lumber stores to drop prices back down. Wonder how long it will take this time?

Lumber futures back down to some degree of normal.

Not reflected by local lumber pricing. Slight drop only so far. Last summer it took more than a month for lumber stores to drop prices back down. Wonder how long it will take this time?

Just like fuel. Theyll jack the price immediately, but itll slowly go down and not directly correlate with bbl/price.

And suckers will pay it.

Just like fuel. Theyll jack the price immediately, but itll slowly go down and not directly correlate with bbl/price.

And suckers will pay it.
Yes and no though I can't speak for oil...

Lumber (from supplier to yard) could be $600 on the commodity board, lumberyard could have bought 10 bunks at 600. They won't sell it at a loss,so if commodity is 500, their 600 stock amount will go at that min. Or in volatility, pats, price at time shipments

I wouldn't either. We pass-through shipping costs with zero markup. Unfortunately it's a take-it or leave-it kind of world these days.
Hold on why aren’t you marking shipping up at all? Unless its small high profit items. Everyone else is marking shipping up and everyone knows thats the way it is. At least on a Big level.

And suckers will pay it.
And then say “well at least it’s not $6.50 a gallon like it used to be” and feel good about a 100% increase

Yes and no though I can't speak for oil...

Lumber (from supplier to yard) could be $600 on the commodity board, lumberyard could have bought 10 bunks at 600. They won't sell it at a loss,so if commodity is 500, their 600 stock amount will go at that min. Or in volatility, pats, price at time shipments

But if they had 10 bunks at $600 when the price doubled did they wait to sell all of those before raising prices?

around here? sometimes

Was pretty common to buy a bundle of 20' boards and lop them in half just to get the older price.
Yeah. That's how it is around here too.

You saw it with gas as well. The low volume stations constantly had lower prices on the way up because they were getting deliveries less often and their price reflects the price they get charged.

Yup, just doors and windows here had a ~12% increase recently. It sucks when you’re trying to improve your place and it gets more and more expensive on each turn.

Just recieved a pallet that had 3, 72" tubes on it. 210lbs. For some reason it got shipped priority freight. $730 for shipping

I didn’t even have to see the headlines to know the number was higher than 8.2 this morning.

One look at the markets told me everything this morning.
I don’t even need to look any more. I just need to open the mail. I’m still in a stage of shock at the fuel bill I got yesterday.

Last edited:
We are starting to see massive cancellations on CPG items at the big grocery retailers. Had one specific vendor go from go from 35k cases to less than 3k cases this week.

The cost of getting the product to the store has increased the price enough that sales have fallen off a cliff.

I don’t even need to look any more. I just need to open the mail. I’m still in a stage of shock at the fuel bill I got yesterday.
how often do they drop off?
Imagine you don't get just a normal trailer like the gas stations get, being that you got aboveground tanks so it'd need to be pumped. That got an extra cost?

If that's the number they admit (which does not account for housing, food or energy), what's the real yearly inflation average people face? 20%?

I always find that doubling anything govt downplays is a decent approximation…

And halving anything they play up too much

how often do they drop off?
Imagine you don't get just a normal trailer like the gas stations get, being that you got aboveground tanks so it'd need to be pumped. That got an extra cost?
Whenever the tanks get low. He comes with a 3500 gallon truck so I pay a .15 premium for that. Would save that if they brought a full tanker load but I don’t want to pay for a full tanker load lol.

More of a psychological thing. I would rather pay 6 5k bills than a 30k one lol

Top Back Refresh