What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

Anyone wanna buy some beef? These gals all preg checked open and I gotta get rid of them. Last time we took some to the sale that were fat and sassy like this I got royally fucked, so this time we are going to try selling them as butcher beef locally.

The last one's nickname is FattyMcButterPants. :laughing:

notag.jpg
red11.jpg
red37.jpg
white13.jpg
Price/pound for a quarter or half?

ive seen building lumber packages come down about 20% in last two months

more of the same
fdgh.jpg
cvbnm,nm.jpg
dsafkjl..jpg

There's variations of shitholes. Crooked fence is one level, a popup camper covered in leftover plywood and chicken shit is another. :flipoff2:
Going to see the official gov't chart for this discussion.
Seriously - A coop doesn't have to cost $1k. Can be done for much less and not look like crap. you'll never want to go back to store-bought eggs after.

Going to see the official gov't chart for this discussion.
Seriously - A coop doesn't have to cost $1k. Can be done for much less and not look like crap. you'll never want to go back to store-bought eggs after.
yea, maybe not $1000. Sort of just threw that number out there.

4x4PT for the base. 2x4PTs for the studs for the sides. Generic door. Couple sheets of plywood and 2x4s for the small enclosure. Wrap the entire thing is chicken wire, bottom included. Maybe half the roof with a metal roofing panel I have to help with the snow coming in a little. Entire unit will be 8x8 and all wired in. 3x8 of that will be the house thing they nest in. That way they can leave and walk around "outside" when we're not around. When we're home, they can wander the yard. That sort of thing.

yea, maybe not $1000. Sort of just threw that number out there.

4x4PT for the base. 2x4PTs for the studs for the sides. Generic door. Couple sheets of plywood and 2x4s for the small enclosure. Wrap the entire thing is chicken wire, bottom included. Maybe half the roof with a metal roofing panel I have to help with the snow coming in a little. Entire unit will be 8x8 and all wired in. 3x8 of that will be the house thing they nest in. That way they can leave and walk around "outside" when we're not around. When we're home, they can wander the yard. That sort of thing.

Use hardware cloth with .5x.5 openings. Animals will tear through chicken wire and mice and rats fit through easily. A concrete pad is the best floor. We can't get away with the dirt stuff like out west. Pavers work too. Shutters are a good option for good multi season set up. I take a piece of sheet metal, snip and bend two tabs on top making hooks to hang on the hardware cloth. The wired in run is great, they love the porch area I made. Heres our main coop. Wife decorates it for the holidays.
Resized_20211001_181910.jpeg

We just did the major spring cleaning/mucking yesterday, switching over to warm weather set up.

Yawp. Similar idea I was thinking of. Little run outside. Nothing major. Small interior shelter so I don't need as much to heat it in the winter. The owl there is good too.

Friend of mine has chickens , and he’s also the coach of the robotics team at a middle school

So their coop is fully automated
Doors open at daylight and close at dark
Etc
Has a thermostat controlled 40 watt incandescent light bulb inside a cement block with a board on top to keep them warm .

Friend of mine has chickens , and he’s also the coach of the robotics team at a middle school

Etc
Has a thermostat controlled 40 watt incandescent light bulb inside a cement block with a board on top to keep them warm .
Coop Controls makes some pretty good systems.

Etc
Have all the stuff to automate mine. I tried wiring it up at the kitchen island and started a fire. Had a nice brand on my fingers where I pulled the wire off the terminal. :eek:

I suck at electricity. (The actuator did cycle when the timer went off, so at least the chickens would have a had a second to escape before the coop went up.)

Parts were pretty cheap. Electric actuator off ebay. Can easily cut a chicken in two, but it's super slow. Cheap timer off Amazon, a used 12v power wheels battery and a solar tender.

Anyone wanna buy some beef? These gals all preg checked open and I gotta get rid of them. Last time we took some to the sale that were fat and sassy like this I got royally fucked, so this time we are going to try selling them as butcher beef locally.

The last one's nickname is FattyMcButterPants. :laughing:

notag.jpg
red11.jpg
red37.jpg
white13.jpg
How much for a prego one? How old are they? Is it still good to eat? Throw it out in my field and get 2 for the price of 1?

Have all the stuff to automate mine. I tried wiring it up at the kitchen island and started a fire. Had a nice brand on my fingers where I pulled the wire off the terminal. :eek:

I suck at electricity. (The actuator did cycle when the timer went off, so at least the chickens would have a had a second to escape before the coop went up.)

Parts were pretty cheap. Electric actuator off ebay. Can easily cut a chicken in two, but it's super slow. Cheap timer off Amazon, a used 12v power wheels battery and a solar tender.

single call to a company like Coop Controls would have saved you some burns, risk and time....
Prices have gone up quite a bit, but ours has been great. I did have to take apart the ram, clean and grease at one point... but other than that, it's been good.
Mine's setup for both AC and Solar.

I'm trying to understand the math here, and think they just arbitrarily made up a $$ value out of their ass

Under $3 is free. OK thats easy
hit $3, charge $10. so they assume 3.33 gallons used to break even
Hit $4, charge $30. now I can buy 7.5 gallons of fuel for the delivery surcharge
hit $6, charge $77.50. Now they can buy ~13 gallons of fuel for the delivery surcharge

seems like a shit system that I'd argue if I bought from them regularly. linearity doesn't make sense

I understand a flat delivery rate to cover wear and tear. and starting with a flat $$ amount for delivery makes sense, short deliveries you make a little and far deliveries you lose a little to average it out. This arbitrary growing cost/gallon doesn't make sense to me:confused:

single call to a company like Coop Controls would have saved you some burns, risk and time....
Prices have gone up quite a bit, but ours has been great. I did have to take apart the ram, clean and grease at one point... but other than that, it's been good.
Mine's setup for both AC and Solar.

Wow, for that price I'm happy to open the coop myself. I think the actuator was the most expensive part at $40. Well under $100 total.

My coop door opens to the run. I have a pull cord on the exterior to open and close. A simple eye hook and some cord.

I'd love to automate it for when we travel, but 3 years and they haven't died yet. I just leave the door to run open in the summer when we're gone.

Now automating the water would be pimp.

I'm trying to understand the math here, and think they just arbitrarily made up a $$ value out of their ass

Under $3 is free. OK thats easy
hit $3, charge $10. so they assume 3.33 gallons used to break even
Hit $4, charge $30. now I can buy 7.5 gallons of fuel for the delivery surcharge
hit $6, charge $77.50. Now they can buy ~13 gallons of fuel for the delivery surcharge

seems like a shit system that I'd argue if I bought from them regularly. linearity doesn't make sense

I understand a flat delivery rate to cover wear and tear. and starting with a flat $$ amount for delivery makes sense, short deliveries you make a little and far deliveries you lose a little to average it out. This arbitrary growing cost/gallon doesn't make sense to me:confused:

Reverse engineering the math...they're doing a +$2.25 for each 10 cent increase in price. So they must be assuming a 22.5 gallon average per load or something?

Wow, for that price I'm happy to open the coop myself. I think the actuator was the most expensive part at $40. Well under $100 total.

My coop door opens to the run. I have a pull cord on the exterior to open and close. A simple eye hook and some cord.

I'd love to automate it for when we travel, but 3 years and they haven't died yet. I just leave the door to run open in the summer when we're gone.

Now automating the water would be pimp.

I used a drapery motor (used to open/close blinds or curtains) and a light timer. Was like $20 or so for the whole thing. Kind of like a mini electric winch that would reverse and run each time it received power. Timer kicked it in the morning to open and again at night to close. Went looking for a comparable product and all the controllers are smart now and stupid expensive. I would have to do deeper digging to find an older analog unit.

For water, I had an sprinkler line run pretty near the coop. Took a 5gal bucket and installed a toilet valve in it plumbed to the sprinkler line. Bucket was set a few feet above the chicken waterers so gravity fed. Bucket would re-fill every time the sprinklers ran. Only needed to collect eggs and fill the feeder. Course, doesnt work for winter, but 8-9 months of the year is was great.

Where I am now, no door, just a big run and a lay house with a chicken sized access hole through the man door. I keep a cold tolerant bird, so no issues. I have a 55 gallon barrel with pvc ports at the bottom for a feeder and a 55 gallon barrel with waterers attached and a livestock heater in it. Could easily go a month without dealing with the chickens apart from collecting eggs, and in the winter they slow down laying so much that I dont bother collecting but once a week. Most of the eggs freeze and crack in the winter, but those either get tossed in the run for the chickens to eat or in the store-room in the barn to thaw out for the cats to eat. Low effort chicken farming.

back to the topic of inflation.

Went to Sam's Friday to stock up on stuff for camping trips coming up. Sam's brand boneless, skinless chicken breast was $18.90 / 10 pound bag two weeks ago. Friday it was $28.50 for 10 pounds. #FJB:flipoff:

For water, I had an sprinkler line run pretty near the coop. Took a 5gal bucket and installed a toilet valve in it plumbed to the sprinkler line. Bucket was set a few feet above the chicken waterers so gravity fed. Bucket would re-fill every time the sprinklers ran. Only needed to collect eggs and fill the feeder. Course, doesnt work for winter, but 8-9 months of the year is was great.
borrowing this.

borrowing this.
Please do. That brainchild coalesced during an intoxication evening on the patio while looking in a frustrated manner at the chicken house. Bout smacked myself for not thinking of it sooner.

Made an run to Omaha to pick up a truck and haul it back (auction purchase). Hard wince filling up the tank along the way. FJB.

back to the topic of inflation.

Went to Sam's Friday to stock up on stuff for camping trips coming up. Sam's brand boneless, skinless chicken breast was $18.90 / 10 pound bag two weeks ago. Friday it was $28.50 for 10 pounds. #FJB:flipoff:
That's actually a different problem. Avian Influenza has struck a LOT of farms in the US right now, so chicken is getting scarce. Check out your egg department, too... 50-300% increases depending on brand, quantity, etc.

How much for a prego one? How old are they? Is it still good to eat? Throw it out in my field and get 2 for the price of 1?
I'm keeping the pregnant ones! They're my main money makers. The red tags and no tag ones are all 2 year olds. The white tag one is a 4 year old. They will be damn good eating.

If you have much of a field/pasture then you definitely should look into getting some cattle from someone local and throw out there to eat over the summer and then getting them butchered. Damn near every bit of beef I've eaten in my life has been home grown, with the occasional bit from going out to eat somewhere.

Reverse engineering the math...they're doing a +$2.25 for each 10 cent increase in price. So they must be assuming a 22.5 gallon average per load or something?
this
cement mixers get like 4-5 mpg on a good day

What you guys are forgetting is the blasting increase(diesel), loading crushing pileing(diesel), hauling it to the concrete plant(diesel), finally the mixer itself. When the fuel price increases all these costs to make the aggregate increase. They need to be passed along to the concrete price.

A mixer hauls like 20 ton of material, that material has about a gallon of diesel in each ton between everything I mentioned. So 22.5 gallon per load is just about right.

Fwiw concrete is by far the lowest profit margin construction material in the world. You think the concrete guys are making bank but they are not. Trust me I have ran the numbers many many times. Not enough money for me to get into it. You need to have 50-60 mixers to make it worth the work.

i tried thinking about it that way. not a single place I know in my area delivers 100 miles away (assuming 5mpg). So that doesn't make sense either:confused:

Top Back Refresh