What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

We'd do chickens by now, but I'm not dropping $1000 or whatever it is to house them.
If you have it and want chickens get them. 12 chickens gives gives you about a dozen eggs a day once they start laying. Sell them for $3 or $4 a dozen and you're well on your way to paying that back.

GF wants some chickens too but I gave her a hard no on that. She loves the idea of things but never considers the actual work involved. If she got her chickens it would soon fall to me to feed, water, collect eggs, shovel shit and whatever else would come along with it. To top it all off she would name them. I was taught to never ever give your food a name:laughing: All I see with chickens here is a lot of extra work with no chicken dinner afterwards.

You get a small flock for self sufficiency and chickens are just great pets too. Your not coming out ahead selling a dozen eggs a week. It's hard work in winter time, shoveling out coops, changing waterers, feed, etc.

Build your own coop, and make it very easy to access and clean. Power and water. Sturdy enough to deter bears and sealed up enough to keep out a mouse. You will have success and a much better experience.

We’ve thought about chickens and even guineas, too.

I have an unbelievable amount of predators that cone into my property they’ll never make it.

Plus I told the wife I’m killing them all before winter, because I’m not dealing with livestock in the snow. :laughing:

We are doing rabbits. The upfront cost was rough but we’ve got it pretty lined out now. They eat a lot of leafy greens from the garden supplemented by pellets and hay. But they could survive on the greens. They breed like well, rabbits. Just had our first kits, 4 weeks old now. Once we get this streamlined, we’re going to try our hand raising quail. You get eggs and meat.

B280AACF-D795-4DBC-AC98-0904B3FA57F3.jpeg

85FF90E8-810B-445E-BE1D-4EBEAFBDD8CE.jpeg

0260D0EE-4B02-4937-B0D8-E368A1F41AFF.jpeg

If you have it and want chickens get them. 12 chickens gives gives you about a dozen eggs a day once they start laying. Sell them for $3 or $4 a dozen and you're well on your way to paying that back.
Have you priced food lately. It’s gone up locally 30-40% in 3 months. $3-4 a dozen your probably losing money if you factor any time for cleaning and care.

You get a small flock for self sufficiency and chickens are just great pets too. Your not coming out ahead selling a dozen eggs a week. It's hard work in winter time, shoveling out coops, changing waterers, feed, etc.

Build your own coop, and make it very easy to access and clean. Power and water. Sturdy enough to deter bears and sealed up enough to keep out a mouse. You will have success and a much better experience.
Advice for clean out ease is build the floor just higher than your wheelbarrow. That was you can put a 22-18” door along the botton and just push the shavings into a wheelbarrow of for bonus points make it so you can drive the tractor up and just shovel into the bucket. I would keep it at 6 birds as that was a super easy number for us to keep up on when we started.

My
Advice for clean out ease is build the floor just higher than your wheelbarrow. That was you can put a 22-18” door along the botton and just push the shavings into a wheelbarrow of for bonus points make it so you can drive the tractor up and just shovel into the bucket. I would keep it at 6 birds as that was a super easy number for us to keep up on when we started.
My coup is roughly 8x40 with sand on the bottom. I dont know where the shot goes but ive never shoveled it out.

Anyone wanna buy some beef? These gals all preg checked open and I gotta get rid of them. Last time we took some to the sale that were fat and sassy like this I got royally fucked, so this time we are going to try selling them as butcher beef locally.

The last one's nickname is FattyMcButterPants. :laughing:

notag.jpg
red11.jpg
red37.jpg
white13.jpg
I think Shitty McShitsides would be a good name for one of them. :lmao:

I named our forklift Forky McForkface

I forgot to mention, with the rabbits, it’s butt to garden with their poop. Makes unreal fertilizer for the garden beds. Better than anything you can buy.

I forgot to mention, with the rabbits, it’s butt to garden with their poop. Makes unreal fertilizer for the garden beds. Better than anything you can buy.
This and alpaca crap are amazing. But honestly most vegetation animal shit is great for direct garden application. I keep a bucket of alpaca shit with water in it and an air stone. Fucking amazing as well.

Love our chickens, just added 5 more. I dote on those little fuckers like pets. I've been teaching the new chicks the in and outs (literally) of the walkway out of the coop. Instead of going down the walkway the little fuckers all just jump on my arms and shoulders and wait to be carried in. spent the morning making the walk way more appealing. Added a step, lowered the angle, etc.

Search deep litter method. Works great, no smell, and great compost.

I made the access door just narrower than the bucket on my tractor. I put the bucket right under the door, rake the litter into the bucket, dump and repeat.

Ran no power, heat or light for the first 2 years, and then we had a pretty shitty winter. I installed a little coop heater, but didn't read the directions. I tossed it on the wall using the mounts. Directions say the chickens basically need to be right up on it. Not sure if it actually made any difference. Coop is 36sqft, about 5' tall inside. They hate the snow, their run is covered but once it fills up, they rarely will come out.

They drink a shit ton more water than you would think, even using nipples. 5+ gallons or more or you're filling it up all the time

$23 and in stock at walmart
Depends upon your WalMart. Its been out of stock nearly 100% of the time here for the past few months. Same for Fleet Farm, Runnings, and most auto parts stores (who already gouge at $36/gallon). I have been running off my stockpile from last year for a few months, and should be good through the end of this year, unless something changes in my lifestyle.

Drag home free camper trailer.

A few pieces of used tin for a lid and a 1/2 dozen free pallets and you have a coop. And less than a weekend.
Naw, want something that looks decent. We also have an unlimited amount of predators. Coyotes have been all over. Bear barrel brought along, no joke, roughly forty raccoons. I'm going to do an 8x8 open enclosure. Wire on all sides. Then like 1/3 of the enclosure will covered. Thinking six chickens.

That's a great price even pre Scamdemic

Taken a couple days ago at walmart. I will say depending on location, it's either full shelves or wiped out. There were pallets of oil, def, freon, etc in the isle.

Oil has been relatively stable price, yet gas is volatile. It's all a sham.

Top Back Refresh