What's new

Going Commando

Fantastic work as always. I really dig the fuel tank. The "cup" is the sump for the fuel pump?

What fuel pump are you going with?
The cup was intended to hold a little more fuel before draining out on side hills, but like I said I think I made the holes a little large for that. :shaking: I have another chunk of 3-3.5" tube that will be welded to the under side of the tank and poke through the floor to act as my sump for fuel pickup. Should be plenty out of the way and makes a nice easy gravity feed to the Bosch pump located on the frame rail.

This will be welded to the bottom of the tank

IMG_20220612_152838810~2.jpg

What are your guy's thoughts on lockers? Almost to that point and kinda torn on which route to go. Budget in mind, I really don't want to fork the cash out on ARB's so leaning towards Grizzly for the rear (only $450 on Amazon) and undecided on the front. Originally was thinking low buck lunch box but stock carrier on 38's has me a little worried even if my dad really doesn't plan on jeepin it hard. Am I overthinking it or should I do a detroit or grizzly for the front as well?

Next problem is it's only a few bucks more for a zip for a 44... However, still would need to consider the price of buying a compressor on top of that lol Someone please persuade me in a direction to I can make a decision and run with it 😅

Any street time or snow/ice driving or on the way to snow wheeling makes me hate the idea of a rear auto-locker.

Mine has Detroit/ Detroit, because I got the axles used, but I intend to swap the rear for an ARB or zip, so I can toss the keys to anyone and it will drive like a normal car. For the front with hubs, I haven't decided yet, but probably keep the Detroit.

I'd bet the stock carrier keeps up with the front end. In a previous car I has an aussie locker and broke u joints and shafts more than a few times, but never had a problem with the stock carrier in the 44.

If you plan to do much street/town driving I would put the selectable in the rear. Rig is turning out awesome!

Started messing with mounting shifters over the weekend. There is absolutely no room with how much the JB shifter sits below the floor so had to go way back with mounting it to get the cable to route nicely.

IMG_20220615_163237072_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220615_172411342.jpg

IMG_20220615_172420539_2.jpg

IMG_20220617_115522584.jpg

IMG_20220617_125705471.jpg

IMG_20220617_151018847.jpg

IMG_20220617_152202361.jpg

That rusted out metal in the firewall still looks 5 times thicker than what my JK came from the factory with.:laughing:

How did you do the shaping of that cover piece?

That rusted out metal in the firewall still looks 5 times thicker than what my JK came from the factory with.:laughing:

How did you do the shaping of that cover piece?
I'm pretty reluctant to share because it will make me seem like a caveman... 😆 I've got a wedge dolly that looks like its bounced down the freeway all its life and a claw hammer lol That along with some knee forming, a dead blow, and DA gets me close enough for my impatience.

I'm pretty reluctant to share because it will make me seem like a caveman... 😆 I've got a wedge dolly that looks like its bounced down the freeway all its life and a claw hammer lol That along with some knee forming, a dead blow, and DA gets me close enough for my impatience.

The fact that you can make that with a claw hammer makes me, once again, want to burn my shop and everything in it to the ground:flipoff2:

I was going to guess a shot bag.

Yes it does. I'm in awe of his skills and just damn glad he's willing to post here. I've learned a lot following his builds.

Kind of like watching Lazze metal shaping videos. He walks up to a flat sheet of sheet metal and says "lets build a '33 Ford body".
I know. Lazze is crazy good. It's irritating because he makes it look so easy and I'm over here like "grog use rock, bang on metal hurr-durr".

Fantastic work on this commando.

What are your guy's thoughts on lockers? Almost to that point and kinda torn on which route to go. Budget in mind, I really don't want to fork the cash out on ARB's so leaning towards Grizzly for the rear (only $450 on Amazon) and undecided on the front. Originally was thinking low buck lunch box but stock carrier on 38's has me a little worried even if my dad really doesn't plan on jeepin it hard. Am I overthinking it or should I do a detroit or grizzly for the front as well?

Next problem is it's only a few bucks more for a zip for a 44... However, still would need to consider the price of buying a compressor on top of that lol Someone please persuade me in a direction to I can make a decision and run with it 😅
I like to use just the small "locker activation compressor" instead of a full blown OBA setup, usually around $230 for those.

Just in case you're still on the fence, I'm a big fan of rear selectable not just for the street but because on slick or loose side hills a locked rear will slide downhill (unless you have rear steer). An open rear is much more likely to track true.

Been slowly chipping away at the Commando still and hope to update this soon!

As far as lockers go, I ended up going with Grizzly out back and a Powertrax Grip Lok up front in the 44. Yes, I know the selectable in the rear would be king but budget just isn't quite there at the moment. We do a lot of snow wheeling and I'm well aware of the downhill tire wanting to continue to dig and push when trying to crab across the dumb stuff. My jeep is setup with a spool/spool and I've learned the rig well enough to jeep around it for the most part and honestly I very rarely see my dad putting this rig in any of those situations. Ultimately, time will tell whether this setup is right for what he ends up doing with the rig.

How did you get the frame so clean to start with?
Wire wheel mostly and the few spots where I knew I was gonna be welding components to I took a little more care. The paint stripping wheels for angle grinders work amazing not only on paint, but also rust and mill scale without clogging up and glazing over like a flap disc. After stripped I like to hit right where I plan to weld with a DA

Slight detour due to hunting season in full swing and waiting to get axles back from getting gears installed. In the mean time I've been picking at building a new from axle for my jeep. 65" WMS made up of some new parts, custom parts, and used parts lol

IMG_20221027_135538062_2.jpg

IMG_20221027_135530658_2.jpg

IMG_20221027_135552329_2.jpg

IMG_20221027_135618612_2.jpg

IMG_20221027_135544038_2.jpg

In the mean time I've been picking at building a new from axle for my jeep. 65" WMS made up of some new parts, custom parts, and used parts lol
Am I remembering correctly that you already had a fabbed 9" up front in your Jeep? What's the reason for the change?

Am I remembering correctly that you already had a fabbed 9" up front in your Jeep? What's the reason for the change?
When I initially built the front I didn't have all the parts when I first started assembling. Due to my lack of patience, I trusted some measurements I found online which in turn made the housing come out 3" narrower than I was intending for it to be. (60" WMS instead of 63" WMS) All fine and dandy with everything cycling straight up and down, but once twisted up and with the KP setup the steering arm wanted to eat the coil-over. My only option really was to limit the bump travel to about 4.75"-5" when everything else clears at 7" of bump. The new housing I'm building is 65" WMS and a hodgepodge of superduty stuff to make me happy. I should have loads more clearance with coil-over clearance by switching to the ball joint setup and gain a little frame clearance as well with the little extra track width. The 7" of bump should be more than achievable now and I shouldn't need to raise the overall ride height at all, just a little rework of fenders and hood.

Top Back Refresh