What's new

Going Commando

Well I tried guys... Mixed up the tan and started to shoot and it was a disaster 🤬 I don't know if the tint thickened it up too much or what but it would barely spray out of the gun and the texture was way different! I spent 45 min trying to get one reasonable coat on the two panels and finally said fuck it. Called the old guy and asked if he was cool with black and he replied, "If you're not happy with the tan I trust your opinion..". Got the gun all cleaned out and mixed the black. Shot as expected and very happy with the outcome. Once I got the rivets in and everything buttoned up my dad was stoked on the look. Yes, it's a lot of contrast but definitely gives off the tactical vibe. Also, the tan was actually quite a bit lighter than the tan sprayed on the body. not entirely sure how that would've looked in the end, but its behind us now 😂 I'll post pics soon!

Well at least we now know you're not a fabricator robot and, in fact, are human and can make mistakes like the rest of us mere mortals :flipoff2:

Did you get tint from raptor or grab some paint? Was it the same as used as before?

This happened to me last month and even tho threy state any urethane or acrylic is safe to use that's not entirely true.

I was advised against using acrylic latex and the stuff I got that muffed up a bottle was a urethane but apparently had binders in it that they said would cause issues.

So I went to an auto paint supply and told them I needed a urethane with no binders.

The stuff started setting up immediately with bindered urethane, would not spray and within 15 mins it had set in the bottle and swelled out the top.

Did you get tint from raptor or grab some paint? Was it the same as used as before?

This happened to me last month and even tho threy state any urethane or acrylic is safe to use that's not entirely true.

I was advised against using acrylic latex and the stuff I got that muffed up a bottle was a urethane but apparently had binders in it that they said would cause issues.

So I went to an auto paint supply and told them I needed a urethane with no binders.

The stuff started setting up immediately with bindered urethane, would not spray and within 15 mins it had set in the bottle and swelled out the top.
It wasn't the Raptor Liner branded tint, but its the "Custom Shop" brand that is in every kit online. This is what I ordered, but thankfully only one bottle with tint and hardener.

718+M4+CwUL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Yeah, Idk if it was a deal where the product has been on the shelf for years and it simply started to turn for a lack of better words. Either way, it was completely different than my experience with the black and all I can do is be thankful I was able to save the panels lol

I'm back and the rig is done! I always seem to fall off at the very end as far as posting goes because of the excitement... I got the rig all wired up and went to start it and that's where the frustration started. Fought it for a week and finally at a last resort pulled off the $350 Holley Dual sync distributor and put on an Amazon special HEI and it fired right up!!! I was pissed and relieved at the same time lol Anyways, here's some pics of it complete and of the first run with it out in the woods this past weekend.

PXL_20230408_172223173.jpg

PXL_20230408_172209120.jpg

PXL_20230411_001117318.jpg

PXL_20230422_222847905.jpg

PXL_20230429_025756041.jpg

PXL_20230429_025842047.jpg

PXL_20230429_025852675.jpg

Pulled the hood to release some heat! Pulling a grade in the snow when its 80+ out makes jeeps run warm lol Got my buddy to tag along as a support rig and the gramps rode with him the majority of the day, while I was in the passenger seat of the commando listening for odd noises. Shakedown run couldn't have gone any better!!!

PXL_20230429_153032209.jpg

PXL_20230429_154418175.jpg

PXL_20230429_162145644.jpg

PXL_20230429_162838537.jpg

PXL_20230429_181428945.jpg

PXL_20230429_202106016~2.jpg

PXL_20230429_192649420.jpg

PXL_20230429_183939912.jpg

Looks good, great job.

Don't you hate it when a name brand gets beat out by an Amazon unit that costs half what you initially paid

Awesome jeepster! My dad recently picked up a jeepster for my two year old daughter for her “first car”.

Side note I work for King County at the landfill that butts up to your neighborhood, we do multiple daily odor checks a day, drive around with the windows open and note and log any odor that could be coming from us or cedar grove compost. I have seen the Jeeps out in the yard and rubber neck hard every time they are out, so please don’t shoot the dude driving slow by your place in the KC truck hahaha

Again killer jeepster!

Awesome jeepster! My dad recently picked up a jeepster for my two year old daughter for her “first car”.

Side note I work for King County at the landfill that butts up to your neighborhood, we do multiple daily odor checks a day, drive around with the windows open and note and log any odor that could be coming from us or cedar grove compost. I have seen the Jeeps out in the yard and rubber neck hard every time they are out, so please don’t shoot the dude driving slow by your place in the KC truck hahaha

Again killer jeepster!
Out in Maple Hills?

Out in Maple Hills?
Yep, our cedar hills landfill shares a fence with the other side of the neighborhood there. Seen the jeepster out last week. Never stop because I don’t want to seem like a creep hahah.

Yep, our cedar hills landfill shares a fence with the other side of the neighborhood there. Seen the jeepster out last week. Never stop because I don’t want to seem like a creep hahah.
If you see me out there definitely stop! That's my parents place and I've been storing my jeep there as I built the commando for my dad. My brother and I used to ride dirtbikes all over back there growing up lol

If you see me out there definitely stop! That's my parents place and I've been storing my jeep there as I built the commando for my dad. My brother and I used to ride dirtbikes all over back there growing up lol
Hell yeah! I have seen your Jeep and been a weirdo driving slow but never wanted to stop being in a work truck and shit. Anyways killer job on the jeepster 🤘🏻

Top Back Refresh