What's new

Forklift for personal use (outdoor)

I am paying 1500 to have the 3 cylinders resealed onsite. Seems like a decent price. There is still a chance that it could be the valve. It would cost $200 to build a ball valve to test the system, plus 200 labor. I figured I would put that toward a reseal, that way its good for a long time.

Will update tomorrow. fwiw mechanics said gm 4.3 is a good motor.

Welp, good job on farming out a great chance to learn a new skill. :shaking:

Welp, good job on farming out a great chance to learn a new skill. :shaking:

I work 7 days a week and have too many things to do. This would have to come out of my personal time, which I have very little of and treasure very very much. This would take me a very long time, and its a very dirty full two man job. There are a ton of truck mechanics in the area and cheap, but nobody wanted to touch a forklift, had to call a guy from 30 miles away.

Never can have too much grease in the mast channels. Go grab about 3 cans of inner slide lube and a can of chain lube and go to town.

Is the grease a debatable topic? I am new to a forklift myself and was informed that greasing the mast channels was a no-no. Mine drags up and down, but I have avoided greasing it based on this counsel.

Is the grease a debatable topic? I am new to a forklift myself and was informed that greasing the mast channels was a no-no. Mine drags up and down, but I have avoided greasing it based on this counsel.

At work grease goes on the sideshift rails (via zerks in them), spray lube goes on the mast and chains.
Most of the forklifts have a can of spray lube on them.

Aaron Z

I dont know who told you that, when those rollers gouge into the mast rails because they are dry, the mast is trash at that point.
They apply the grease at the factory with a paint brush :laughing:

Dont use red grease, See below.
At work grease goes on the sideshift rails (via zerks in them), spray lube goes on the mast and chains.
Most of the forklifts have a can of spray lube on them.

Aaron Z
^^^This.

You need Inner slide lube in a spray can, I believe it is a high moly content dark gray grease. It has a solvent in it to get it through the straw and nozzle, it flashes off on application and will make the stickiest mess you have to deal with in a long time, so will the chain lube. Chain lube is even worse.

Everything else gets grease from a gun.

I don't think piston seals are your problem, if it's not leaking out the gland seal. Some lifts don't even have a piston end seal, just a bushing. Displacement, rod side vs piston side says that can't happen unless fluid leaves the cylinder. Only way it leaves is out the port or out a leaking gland. Valve is most likely the issue.

Now mast tilt is a different story, because its pulling the cylinder and fluid would bypass the rod seal into the larger displacement area behind it.

For every one valve I've had to get into, I've done 100 seals. With that being said, if there's a bunch of crap in the fluid valves get eaten up quick.
Some lifts have a breather tube that returns fluid so when that seal does go, it doesn't wash the operator with oil when the cylinder is maxxed out.

That sucks. I am also in the market for a smaller old unit. I don't mind something that needs a bunch of work at a over scrap price, i just dont want to pay 5k for something to take things out of the truck every 3rd week. :laughing:

Do i need one.....maybe, maybe not. But damn do i keep having toolboxes or big drill presses sitting in my truck bed with no way to get them out. Some jackass buit my shop without an overhead gantry crane. Bastard :flipoff2:

Out of interest would 3k be big enough for most home use? I just have fears that i could end up with some awesome toy that was too big for a baby machine....
You need a forklift, you'll find all kinds of use for it once you get it home.

could this be causing it? had a mech take one out

I've seen them alot worse, what does the bore of the cylinder look like?
How fast was it bleeding down? Unloaded forks, loaded forks?
Couple inches an hour, minute?

I am paying 1500 to have the 3 cylinders resealed onsite. Seems like a decent price. There is still a chance that it could be the valve. It would cost $200 to build a ball valve to test the system, plus 200 labor. I figured I would put that toward a reseal, that way its good for a long time.

Will update tomorrow. fwiw mechanics said gm 4.3 is a good motor.

Considering mobile rate is about $130 to $150/hr not a bad deal, I would've just ran with the freelift reseal, I dont get into secondary cylinders much, unless its in a facility with tall racking and they run them to the top all day long.

and since its a gm powerplant.. should i LS swap it? :homer:

Go change the plugs and let me know how much more room you got in that thing for another 2 cylinders. :laughing:

[486 said:
;n182646]that's a lotta money
are they like fuckin' buried in there or what?

The freelift on this machine shouldn't be hard to do, the secondary's are much easier with a crane or another lift onsite. Most techs have vans without cranes and would shop it and there's at least $300 in transport costs alone. :laughing:

I've seen them alot worse, what does the bore of the cylinder look like?
How fast was it bleeding down? Unloaded forks, loaded forks?
Couple inches an hour, minute?.

couple imches an hour and I wouldnt even touch it. Maybe a couple feet per minute, at any height. Empty.

Hissing noise from one of the cylinders made the techs guess at the seals.

I asked, it would be 200 parts+ 200 labor for them to make a ball valve with hoses (at a hose shop with the matching fittings) to connect and troubleshoot if its the cylinders or the control valve. I thought about it hard, then figured to put that money towards the reseal, and if its the control valve, then Ill rebuild it myself (450 for seal kit from dealer). I figure this way I have good cylinders for a long time, and Ill get my money back when/if i sell it. They should hopefully finish tomorrow and well see then.

​Honestly I didnt think the seal looked that bad either, not rnough to cause that much of a drop. My hunch is the control valve too. Mechs are a father and son operation, I can respect that and put some work their way. They were recommended on another forum, so why not.

couple imches an hour and I wouldnt even touch it. Maybe a couple feet per minute, at any height. Empty.

Hissing noise from one of the cylinders made the techs guess at the seals.

I asked, it would be 200 parts+ 200 labor for them to make a ball valve with hoses (at a hose shop with the matching fittings) to connect and troubleshoot if its the cylinders or the control valve. I thought about it hard, then figured to put that money towards the reseal, and if its the control valve, then Ill rebuild it myself (450 for seal kit from dealer). I figure this way I have good cylinders for a long time, and Ill get my money back when/if i sell it. They should hopefully finish tomorrow and well see then.

​Honestly I didnt think the seal looked that bad either, not rnough to cause that much of a drop. My hunch is the control valve too. Mechs are a father and son operation, I can respect that and put some work their way. They were recommended on another forum, so why not.
Odd that they wouldnt have that in stock, most use of the ones at work (Toyotas and one yellow one) use JIC fittings.
If you want to build one, you could find everything at Surplus Center for under $75.
Hoses: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...nd-Hose-Assemblies/Hydraulic-Hose-Assemblies/
Adapters (JIC to NPT): https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Adapters-Fittings/JIC-to-NPT/
Valve: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...SI-Ball-Valve-Dynamic-DE2-12-NPT-9-7281-8.axd
Sounds like a good call on resealing it.

Aaron Z

The 4.3 isn’t a bad motor by itself, it’s the packaging required to fit it in that size machine that brings the suck.

We run all Hysters at work, 6,500-15,500lb capacity. The older, small lifts with the Mazda motor are much easier to work on, and do seem to last longer. The newer, small lifts (6.5, 7, and 8k) run a gm 4 banger. Easier to work on than the 4.3’s, but don’t have the power of the Mazda, and seem to have more issues

The smaller lifts with the 4.3 (9, 10, 11, and 12k) are harder/more time consuming to work on, and therefore don’t care taken care of as well. 15k lifts with the 4.3 have enough room in the chassis that it’s no a big deal.

and why did i buy it if the forks were dropping? Well because I am an idiot and didnt test it. Ad said runs great, so did the nice old armenian man at the shop, and being on a real time crunch and feeling overly trustful I went through with it. Hopefully its not a moneypit, because if it is, its going right back up for sale

Dude, something is different with buying this year.

Just about 100% of the shit I have bought in the last 4 months or so was not as advertised.

I do things the old fashioned way, I take people at their word.

Plus I do give a decent look over to make sure that the shape it is in real life looks like the shape it was in the pictures.

Getting on my nerves lately.

Hopefully you get it sorted out.

Dude, something is different with buying this year.

Just about 100% of the shit I have bought in the last 4 months or so was not as advertised.

I do things the old fashioned way, I take people at their word.

Plus I do give a decent look over to make sure that the shape it is in real life looks like the shape it was in the pictures.

Getting on my nerves lately.

Hopefully you get it sorted out.

thanks. its at least a 10k lift with these prices, I am 5900 in with delivery, so if the 1500 3 fork reseal does it, I am still ahead. Anyway, and the mechanics confirmed, alp the forklift dealers just clean and paint old shit nad mark it up, so NO guarantees that this wouldnt happen to a used 10k lift from a sleazy dealer.

Its fixed. Fork seals. 1500 dollars later they are set for years to come.

Now let me give it a workout...

So I need rear (steer) tires. Stock is 7.00x12 solid. What are my options?? Ebay tires ok?

Just how bad are these solid, expensive as fuck tires?
once you price the labor, you might get another 5 years out of them:laughing:

buy some cheap mud tires.
use sawzall to cut treads free.
3m spray glue tread to solid rubber tires
profit?

Forklifts at work get a year out of a set of solid tires running 40+ hours a week on asphalt or concrete.
Throw throw a set of new tires on there and it'll probably last as long as you have it.

Aaron Z

We use those same tires on our lift at work. It spends 90% of its time outdoors in our shitty crushed concrete covered yard and they work well. About the only time it gets stuck is if we go way into the soft stuff or try and cut the wheels hard left or right from a stop. The one wheel peel will get you every time. :laughing:

Can you take a chainsaw or grinder to the tires you have now and cut in some new tread?

Nah they are missing chunks from the sides. They ran the forklift till it needed a lot of stuff, and then parked it. They are usable for now, but I will order a new solid set when I get some money together.

Just how bad are these solid, expensive as fuck tires?
once you price the labor, you might get another 5 years out of them:laughing:
Amazing how many customers do this.
I wouldnt be too concerned with what goes on the steer axle, I sell Orca brand tires, and a few other oddball for special applications.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-00X12-Be...184420750108?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

anything against these? Theyre half the price. No idea if tread design is an issue?
Those are non marking, you'll need a static strap or chain on the machine.
Can you take a chainsaw or grinder to the tires you have now and cut in some new tread?

Tire siping tools aren't that much money.

You're way overthinking the tires on this thing, call your mechanic that did the seals and see if he's got a tire press and what he'd charge parts and labor. How many hours a day do you plan on running this thing?

You're way overthinking the tires on this thing, call your mechanic that did the seals and see if he's got a tire press and what he'd charge parts and labor. How many hours a day do you plan on running this thing?

Its a yard ornament for the moment. Mech doesnt have a press, he would come remove the tires and take it to a shop that has a press. I am going to call them back to do a trans and hydraulic oil change, and probably do the tires then (mech came 30 miles and doesnt want to drive for just one thing)

On another note how concerning is white smoke? Probably due for head gaskets, unless theres another common culprit for burning coolant.

Do you sell forklifts or what?

Top Back Refresh