What's new

Forklift for personal use (outdoor)

So I need rear (steer) tires. Stock is 7.00x12 solid. What are my options?? Ebay tires ok?

They don't look bad from the pic you posted when you bought it. Mine are way worse and I have no plans to replace them any time soon. I'd run them unless it looks like they're ready to completely fail.

Its a yard ornament for the moment. Mech doesnt have a press, he would come remove the tires and take it to a shop that has a press. I am going to call them back to do a trans and hydraulic oil change, and probably do the tires then (mech came 30 miles and doesnt want to drive for just one thing)

On another note how concerning is white smoke? Probably due for head gaskets, unless theres another common culprit for burning coolant.

Do you sell forklifts or what?

Forklift technician.

Check intake gaskets.

Another maintenance item I forgot to mention.
Id also check the lp converter for sludge, warm the machine up, shut it down and yank the little plug out and have a rag ready, wear gloves. It smells like skunk. Have the tech do it or show you what the converter and where the drain plug is.

thanks will do.

2000 Hyster h80xm - now the hyster specs say the 80 is an 8000lb forklify, but the plat3 says 6500 max at 189 inches.

Does that mean it is an 8000 lb forklift maybe up to a couple feet, or it is a 6500lb lift?

obviously the higher (inches) the weight the less the capacity, but i dont see 8000lb anywhere.

It says it weights 15500lb, is that actual weight? heavy.

thanks will do.

2000 Hyster h80xm - now the hyster specs say the 80 is an 8000lb forklify, but the plat3 says 6500 max at 189 inches.

Does that mean it is an 8000 lb forklift maybe up to a couple feet, or it is a 6500lb lift?

obviously the higher (inches) the weight the less the capacity, but i dont see 8000lb anywhere.

Got a pic of the data plate? 15.5k for a 6.5k capacity forklift seems way high. I don't know if there's a break when you get in to higher caps, but generally it seems like the machine weight is around 1.5x the capacity. My 6k weights just under 9k. By that math I'd expect yours to pick up 10k. :confused:

thanks will do.

Got a pic of the data plate? 15.5k for a 6.5k capacity forklift seems way high. I don't know if there's a break when you get in to higher caps, but generally it seems like the machine weight is around 1.5x the capacity. My 6k weights just under 9k. By that math I'd expect yours to pick up 10k. :confused:

Its an 8k machine.

Fork lengths will derate a machine due to load center. Looks like that one has long forks on it.

My old work picked one of these on auction, we bought it for the motor and axles only to find out that it only needed batteries and drove it on the trailer. We called it Air Force 1 since it came from an air base.
One of our drivers crashed an 18 wheeler into another parked 18 wheeler down town. So I got to drive this forklift down the roads into town and lifted the semi tractor off of the other one and carried it back to the shop which was a couple miles away. It had no issues lifting and pulling the two tractors apart or four wheel steering to get into position on a two lane road.

Last one is pure genius. Many of the first field fork lifts were turn around tractors. I got to rebuild one in college.

f-900-01-7.jpg

f-900-01-1.jpg

cratc-deere-140-forklift.jpg

Last edited:
My old work picked one of these on auction, we bought it for the motor and axles only to find out that it only needed batteries and drove it on the trailer. We called it Air Force 1 since it came from an air base.
One of our drivers crashed an 18 wheeler into another parked 18 wheeler down town. So I got to drive this forklift down the roads into town and lifted the semi tractor off of the other one and carried it back to the shop which was a couple miles away. It had no issues lifting and pulling the two tractors apart or four wheel steering to get into position on a two lane road.

Last one is pure genius. Many of the first field fork lifts were turn around tractors. I got to rebuild one in college.

Turn left to go right, just like a tiller outboard!

Well, the forklift is stuck. It rained, yesterday, causing it to sink. I tried to move it a bit, sunk more. Tried pulling it with my f250 in 4lo, kept sinking and dragging dirt.

It definitely doesnt look like 15,000lb.

​​​​​Would a bobcat pull it out, or do i need to shop for a backhoe? :homer:

Well, the forklift is stuck. It rained, yesterday, causing it to sink. I tried to move it a bit, sunk more. Tried pulling it with my f250 in 4lo, kept sinking and dragging dirt.

It definitely doesnt look like 15,000lb.

​​​​​Would a bobcat pull it out, or do i need to shop for a backhoe? :homer:

bottle jack and boards or steel

[486 said:
;n292428]

bottle jack and boards or steel

is that serious or are you making fun of my dumb ass? :laughing:

i tried shoveling. I should shovel a hole for the bottle jack and some wood?

Bottle jack(s) under the mast and some of those stupid overlanding ramps under the tires. Once you have it out throw chains on it, they're not just for snow.

You can get the front end up by using some shims and dunnage under the bottom of the mast, tilt back place shims then tilt forward to lift.

is that serious or are you making fun of my dumb ass? :laughing:

i tried shoveling. I should shovel a hole for the bottle jack and some wood?

No. He's serious. When we were loading up my ~7k Hough the guy sunk his ~10k fork lift in his swamp of a back yard. Some steel sheets and we were back in business.

No. He's serious. When we were loading up my ~7k Hough the guy sunk his ~10k fork lift in his swamp of a back yard. Some steel sheets and we were back in business.

you guys fucking rock, it worked. Dug a hole, stuck some wood and a bottle jack, raised it up, put some plywood under the tires, then together with pulling it with my truck it came right out.

never leaving it in gravel in the rain again.

Never saw this thread back when it was new, but I’m relatively surprised at the near total lack of suggestions of regular tractors with front end loader forks. Mine has picked up everything i’ve asked of it, Off-road stuff not an issue at all, it can “dip” down into a trailer with side rails where a forklift can’t, and it’s always on the verge of tipping over in true IBB fashion.

Never saw this thread back when it was new, but I’m relatively surprised at the near total lack of suggestions of regular tractors with front end loader forks. Mine has picked up everything i’ve asked of it, Off-road stuff not an issue at all, it can “dip” down into a trailer with side rails where a forklift can’t, and it’s always on the verge of tipping over in true IBB fashion.

My 30hp tractor is good for maybe 1k lbs at the pin. My forklift is good for 6k. I can't pick up my milling machine with any reasonable sized tractor.

My 30hp tractor is good for maybe 1k lbs at the pin. My forklift is good for 6k. I can't pick up my milling machine with any reasonable sized tractor.

Sounds like you need a bigger tractor... I unloaded my mill (3800 lbs according to the book) with a JD 4440, and my 50 horse JD has done pretty much anything else reasonable I've tried to do with it. My 2025R will pick up a lot more than I've tried, I believe, but if it gets heavy enough I just grab a bigger tractor to begin with. Hay bales will occasionally go up to 1400 or so, I toss those around daily..

Yes, real forklifts can pick up more and are more maneuverable.. They also get stuck more, you can't do shit with them besides that, and the tractors will pick up 99.99999999% of what you actually use them for day to day..

Last edited:
you guys fucking rock, it worked. Dug a hole, stuck some wood and a bottle jack, raised it up, put some plywood under the tires, then together with pulling it with my truck it came right out.
never leaving it in gravel in the rain again.

shit like that high-centers real easy
digging alone won't get it moving again

[486 said:
;n293790]

shit like that high-centers real easy
digging alone won't get it moving again

it was high centered pretty bad, spent some time pressure hosing it clean. Just going to avoid dirt after rain

Last edited:
i'e got a tractor, fel with bucket forks/ ballast and a forklift. i only lift with the tractor fell if i have to. my tractor would be usable maybe 1/3 of time i need to lift shit and be a pita to maneuver.

Saloon65 sounds like you need a forkilift. but you get by cuz you live near farm county and have tons of room/space (or so i assume as you can have a 100hp+ tractor)

go and price out a 100hp tractor vs a forklift. forklift ftw

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a bigger tractor... I unloaded my mill (3800 lbs according to the book) with a JD 4440, and my 50 horse JD has done pretty much anything else reasonable I've tried to do with it. My 2025R will pick up a lot more than I've tried, I believe, but if it gets heavy enough I just grab a bigger tractor to begin with. Hay bales will occasionally go up to 1400 or so, I toss those around daily..

Yes, real forklifts can pick up more and are more maneuverable.. They also get stuck more, you can't do shit with them besides that, and the tractors will pick up 99.99999999% of what you actually use them for day to day..

A JD 4440 is an unwieldy overweight waste of fuel compared to a machine built to lift shit that can lift equivalent weight.

Tractors don't lift for shit compared to loader, skid steers, forklifts and telehandlers of equivalent size, weight, power or fuel consumption. They're just an all around shitty tool for that job. Get over it. Yes you can always buy a bigger one but the bigger the machine the more it costs, the more fuel it uses, the less handy it is, the harder it is to move, etc, etc.

Anyone who's primary use is materials handling and buys a tractor is stupid. They pull shit great for their size since that's what they're made for. But they suck at picking shit up and putting it down.

[486 said:
;n293811]

maybe look into doing the soil cement thing with the gravel portions of your lot

"soil Cement" i've got to know more. i did my gravel areas 8-10" crush rock just for the forklift and i still get stuck if i'm not careful

i'e got a tractor, fel with bucket forks/ ballast and a forklift. i only lift with the tractor fell if i have to. my tractor would be usable maybe 1/3 of time i need to lift shit and be a pita to maneuver.

Saloon65 sounds like you need a forkilift. but you get by cuz you live near farm county and have tons of room/space (or so i assume as you can have a 100hp+ tractor)

go and price out a 100hp tractor vs a forklift. forklift ftw

It's just simple utility... I pick up something that requires it (with the exception of hay) maybe twice a week, sometimes not that if the weather sucks? (with occasional days that I'm doing it all day long, of course) The rest of the time the forklift would be sitting there becoming low-income housing for field rats. Meanwhile I'm using the tractors every day for SOMETHING else.. If there's anything I've kind of learned and started moving to as I get older, is to not get overloaded on the motorized rolling stock: it's just not worth maintaining some of this shit that's good for a single purpose that I can't squeeze by doing with something else..

I'm also running pretty low on paved/solid enough surfaces that would suffice to run most forklifts out there.. The "off-road" ones would work if it's dry, but even they get a little dicey once it gets really wet just as a result of the weight, where the tractors don't really have any issue.

Last edited:
"soil Cement" i've got to know more. i did my gravel areas 8-10" crush rock just for the forklift and i still get stuck if i'm not careful

you rototill in a bunch of portland cement and then compact it, used to be a lot more popular in the olden days before geotextile became a thing

turns into something approaching a real low strength concrete slab with a lot less cost
can also do it with lime

Top Back Refresh