What's new

Forklift for personal use (outdoor)

[486 said:
;n293823]

you rototill in a bunch of portland cement and then compact it, used to be a lot more popular in the olden days before geotextile became a thing

turns into something approaching a real low strength concrete slab with a lot less cost
can also do it with lime

i've thought of doing that never knew it had a name, actually i had thought more allong the lines of buying a couple pallets of sakrete and tilling it in/ probably tines on the box blade as i dont have a tiller yet . i'm going to have to try an area out.

i've got a 30x100 area thats got the 8" of 1-1/4" crush rock. topped with fines and compacted. its only really a problem in the wet season, but i'd really like to avoid scraping the top down and pouring concrete.

i've got a 30x100 area thats got the 8" of 1-1/4" crush rock. topped with fines and compacted. its only really a problem in the wet season, but i'd really like to avoid scraping the top down and pouring concrete.

it seems to do best with fines, with larger aggregate making it not really work at all
there isn't enough cement in the mixture to actually bond the larger shit together, and if you're using enough cement to do that, actual delivered concrete is cheaper

you might be a bit fucked with that setup, short of scraping it all up and doing the dance to the shit underneath the rock
ETA: maybe just improve drainage with a couple trench drains run throughout the pad to get the water out faster?

Sounds like you need a pettibone :flipoff2:
pettibonesuper6telehandler-15.jpg

Old wheel loaders are another good option. Every muddy junkyard uses one.

If you only have an issue when it rains, park it on a road plate or some plywood. I had to do this on the blacktop so one of mine wouldn't sink in the summer.

My loader was great for picking up things that weighed 1500lbs, or picking up the ass end of a truck and scooting it around

the forklift was for picking up heavy things, and getting stuck, which is when the tractor did it's other job, pulling out the forklift:laughing:

[486 said:
;n293823]

you rototill in a bunch of portland cement and then compact it, used to be a lot more popular in the olden days before geotextile became a thing

turns into something approaching a real low strength concrete slab with a lot less cost
can also do it with lime

If anyone in the Fingerlakes area of NY and wants lime to try that with, I know where you can get as much as you can haul for free.
Some is bagged and on pallets (about 3000#/pallet, but there is a deposit on the pallets), most is in a bulk pile which can be loaded into anything up to a semi truck (as soon as the weather turns nice and the plow comes off of the big loader).

Aaron Z

If anyone in the Fingerlakes area of NY and wants lime to try that with, I know where you can get as much as you can haul for free.
Some is bagged and on pallets (about 3000#/pallet, but there is a deposit on the pallets), most is in a bulk pile which can be loaded into anything up to a semi truck (as soon as the weather turns nice and the plow comes off of the big loader).

fuck man I'd be on that like stink on shit, got a lot of clay that needs to be de-soupified
though it is probably not quicklime if it is in piles, I haven't been able to get a straight answer but I think you need the angry kind of lime for it to stick the dirt together.
There's a guy on here that does it for a living though... FJC11 iirc

How reasonable?

I have no idea but I recall it being a screaming deal. The numbers 5k and 8k stick in my head and I think I only had like $8k saved up for a machine at that point so I bet it was 5k. PM me your number or email and I'll pass it on.

It was an ex-military 70s Super 8

I have no idea but I recall it being a screaming deal. The numbers 5k and 8k stick in my head and I think I only had like $8k saved up for a machine at that point so I bet it was 5k. PM me your number or email and I'll pass it on.

It was an ex-military 70s Super 8

Ahh, still good money for something I don't really need :laughing: It would be cool as hell though

[486 said:
;n293944]

fuck man I'd be on that like stink on shit, got a lot of clay that needs to be de-soupified
though it is probably not quicklime if it is in piles, I haven't been able to get a straight answer but I think you need the angry kind of lime for it to stick the dirt together.
There's a guy on here that does it for a living though... FJC11 iirc

It is high calcium hydrated lime, specifically: http://www.graymont.com/en/products/hydrated-lime/high-calcium-hydrated-lime
From what I can find, it is what you get when you hydrate quicklime.

Aaron Z

Quick bump... looking at a hyster 4k lift, thinking it's 2004ish in age. The transmission seems to be slipping and on its way out. Are these things worth messing with? What does a transmission run for something like that? I'd also imagine it'd a huge pain in the ass to get out but I have no idea

I am also curious. I am sure mine is slipping, at full throttle it does not move very well.

Also need a radiator fornit, where can I get one, pretty sure theres a car crossover part for it?

And brakes. I have almost none. E brake wont hold either.

Thanks, resident forklift experta!

Quick bump... looking at a hyster 4k lift, thinking it's 2004ish in age. The transmission seems to be slipping and on its way out. Are these things worth messing with? What does a transmission run for something like that? I'd also imagine it'd a huge pain in the ass to get out but I have no idea

What is the model number?

I am also curious. I am sure mine is slipping, at full throttle it does not move very well.

Also need a radiator fornit, where can I get one, pretty sure theres a car crossover part for it?

Anything close inlet, outlet, size, and cheap. Civic and geo metro rads I've had around the shop worked well.

Slipping trans would mean a new lift for me. At $1 per capacity lb for used lifts it's usually not worth it unless it's a real nice lift.

What is the model number?

I dont have access to the machine until Monday but it looks really similar to an h50xm although I think the 50 is a larger machine.

I want to say the machine in question Is like 3500-4000lb cap

Unless it’s a 71c trans, run. :laughing: if the trans is truly slipping. Check inching pedal adjustments first.
you can get yourself in a several thousand dollar repair bill for a trans rebuild on a lift that’s not worth it. Haven’t done a lot of trans work on lifts. There’s a reason. Trans is junk, everything else probably already junk or right behind it. The duramatch and powershifts are complicated hyster-Yale units.

Both of you need to check inching pedal adjustments. If that is out of wack, you’ll burn a trans up quick. It’ll act like it’s slipping, because it’s trying to go into neutral.

As for brakes, if that thing has dry drums, it’s not that hard to check them out. First Try adjusting knob under park brake lever (if my memory is right that one has a knob just below it).

If if that doesn’t give you some park brake, you need to check shoe adjustment. They adjust same as a full float truck drum. If they won’t adjust up, check brakes hydraulics. If they won’t adjust and bleed up to a good pedal, pull wheels, axleshafts and yank the drums. You’ll generally know pretty quick.

Based on your lift not having service brakes or parking brakes, your shoes are out of adjustment or they’re worn. Shoes need to be re-arc’ed when shoes are replaced. This ensures the mating surface is optimal with the new shoe arc matching the drum arc. Prevents the center of the shoe radius from doing all of the braking.

If if you have wet brakes, I’m sorry. :laughing: call the dealer.

As for the radiator, what’s goin on with it? Busted end tank, leak in the aluminum? I’d see what a radiator repair place could do first. Got my end tank replaced for $95 on a radiator that was gunna cost me $1,400 from Toyota. Very rarely will you find something automotive that will drop in on these, especially since you have a larger lift, all kinds of weird single application radiators have been built for these things over the years.

Last edited:
So legit question, how much for you to make a house call? I am in Sylmar..also the lift weights 15k how high can I life a 4800lb dakota? I need to do some exhaust work..

thanks bro :grinpimp:

Bought my own nissan 50 today. Solid tires! Has anyone converted one to pneumatics?
No, but if you take the counter weight off, you can get around pretty good outdoors and still lift a decent amount.

Bought my own nissan 50 today. Solid tires! Has anyone converted one to pneumatics?

Solid or solid pneumatic? I like my solid pneumatics really well for packed soil areas. What size tires does your lift have currently?

If it is warehouse solids, I don't think you will have much luck.

Right now it has warehouse slicks. I keep reading that it can’t be done but that’s probably the average person. I bought it to flip but I’d probably approach the project differently if I could figure out how to put some pneumatics on it.

Right now it has warehouse slicks. I keep reading that it can’t be done but that’s probably the average person. I bought it to flip but I’d probably approach the project differently if I could figure out how to put some pneumatics on it.
Likely doesn't have enough for room in the front wheel wells for pneumatic tires that are able to handle as much load as the cushions on there now.

Likely doesn't have enough for room in the front wheel wells for pneumatic tires that are able to handle as much load as the cushions on there now.

it looks like the Nissan AF50 has the same cutouts as my CF50. Bolt pattern on the hubs though is quite different.

My cousin asked me if I wanted an off-road lift the other day, 7k$, 4bt Cummins. Awd. Can’t justify, but it’s cool!

Attachments

• 9D16E45C-A155-45C8-B29B-71968E9577E6.jpeg
    9D16E45C-A155-45C8-B29B-71968E9577E6.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 48
Top Back Refresh