What's new

Forklift for personal use (outdoor)

mine is a hyster challenger 30. 3 wheeled Pneumatic tires.

In typical IBB fashion "you need a tractor"

A real forklift is hard to beat, spin on a dime, Side shift, visibility, ​​​​​lifting capacity for its size, ect.

Also YOU DON'T FUCKING NEED PNEUMATIC TIRES FOR HARD PACK GRAVEL! FUCK:flipoff2:

As long as you don't buy s straight warehouse forklift, it will be fine.

A skid steer or tractor with forks is more versatile, but a huge compromise as a forklift. Skid steer will tear up gravel and a loader with forks just sucks.

20200820_205456_HDR(1).jpg
20200820_205442_HDR(1).jpg
Picked up this racist bastard from a local shipping store.

All the times I had been in there I had never seen it move.

I asked the nice lady how much and gave her my phone number. She called back a bit later and said 1200 i think.

She took 1000

It's just shy of 10K

Didn't run when I picked it up...That was a blast:laughing:

It has a continental flat head 4 cylinder with propane in it.

Put a battery and a starter in it and it ran.
20200820_205428(1).jpg
20200820_205510(1).jpg

pass
that's solid $500 territory here
3500 in good running shape, no leaks or smoke, but needing major work? nofuckinway

Fuck, these posts are making me realize that the L.A. market on forklifts is through the roof.

If $1/lb is the average, why is .50/lb with a bad hg a pass?

also seems like forklift dealers here snatch up any good used deal and mark it up.

Re: loaders and skid steers - yah Id love one, but thr cost goes way up. Id love a tracked bobcat, or a skid steer, or fuck it an excavator, but moneys...

Fuck, these posts are making me realize that the L.A. market on forklifts is through the roof.

also seems like forklift dealers here snatch up any good used deal and mark it up.

Re: loaders and skid steers - yah Id love one, but thr cost goes way up. Id love a tracked bobcat, or a skid steer, or fuck it an excavator, but moneys...

Sounds like you're in gin pole territory. (or possibly rolling gantry territory)

Edit: not me:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4cc73e012453175b26cce3dd5d94b3f7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	110266

Are you looking for a certain year range? I think there are a couple of dinosaurs local to me for sale.

In typical IBB fashion "you need a tractor"

A real forklift is hard to beat, spin on a dime, Side shift, visibility, ​​​​​lifting capacity for its size, ect.

Also YOU DON'T FUCKING NEED PNEUMATIC TIRES FOR HARD PACK GRAVEL! FUCK:flipoff2:

As long as you don't buy s straight warehouse forklift, it will be fine.

A skid steer or tractor with forks is more versatile, but a huge compromise as a forklift. Skid steer will tear up gravel and a loader with forks just sucks.

Disagree. I use the forks on my loader more than my bucket. I've got experience running regular forklifts and tellehandlers but for home use the loader with forks works best for me for the money.

Disagree. I use the forks on my loader more than my bucket. I've got experience running regular forklifts and tellehandlers but for home use the loader with forks works best for me for the money.

Where did I say a loader with forks isn't better for you?

On a hard surface, a standard forklift will run circles around a loader with forks.

On a hard surface, a standard forklift will run circles around a loader with forks.

I disagree, a good operator on a skid is extremely fast. Our skid has the forks on it like 40% of the time, bail spear 50% and the bucket 10%. Only downside for the skid is the lack of lifting height. Can only stack 3 bails high with a skid, with a forklift we could go to the ceiling.

I disagree, a good operator on a skid is extremely fast. Our skid has the forks on it like 40% of the time, bail spear 50% and the bucket 10%. Only downside for the skid is the lack of lifting height. Can only stack 3 bails high with a skid, with a forklift we could go to the ceiling.

:laughing:

I was referring to a regular loader, but OK.

Skid steer can be almost as fast, but there are a ton of downsides. They're bigger, way less lifting capacity, no side shift, they tear shit up turning, ect.

A forklift is the best forklift, why is that such a crazy concept :homer:

Nobody's disagreeing with you and everybody's saying a forklift isn't the best for what OP wants a machine for.

Id totally go for a loader or skid steer, but Id like to spend as little as possible (sub 3k) and that wont happen with anything but an actual forklift.

My uncle is offering me this for $3500. 6000 lbs. He thinks it may have a bad head gasket. What say IBB?

42-fgu35?

Im not great with that era of Toyota for model number.

Pass for $3500.

$500 and we can slap a head gasket on that thing on a lunch break.
Water pumps are cheap, it’s gunna leak if it isn’t. Tune up kit is $55.
All impco stuff on top, can buy a whole fuel system from ransome out of fresno for under $300, stuff a hyster air cleaner assembly on it with a Chevy 350 upper radiator hose for intake tube. I’d bet that one is rotten to crap.

We had 3, 2 5k, that looked the same, one had a hurricane 4 cyl iirc. Was smoking like a freight train when the owner "got it for a killer deal from an auction" it was bad enough that even outside you'd get a headache running it. All around it was just a pos, even after he had the engine rebuilt.

The other had a different engine some Peugeot pos iirc, and was even worse, so gutless that it wouldn't go up the 2* ramps into the shops without a ramp.

We also had a 10 or 12k. It had a Nissan in line 6, it had a 2spd and was stuck in high. So it was a gutless turd, but would go ridiculously fast.

The forklift mechanic always talked shit on the cat lifts.

If it has the dizzy In the middle of the head, that’s an OLD cat lift, pretty sure those are hurricanes, I’m talking about Mitsubishi built cats with 4g63 engines. The Peugeot is an absolute pile of junk that is not only terrible to work on, it’s hard to find parts.

This would be TITS! (I am thinking this route someday myself)

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/R...30-01-076-4237

In reality, though, I am actively watching sales for an older skid loader with bucket and fork attachments so I can move snow in the winter and use as a lift the rest of the time... One with a fork, bucket *and* blade would be great, but not likely to be found within my hopeful budget.

Last edited:
Dad has a handful of lifts. The Nissan 50 on solid/pnuematic is my favorite. It goes great on hard gravel or pasture. Including mild hills. Its the go-to machine if it hasn't been raining. He has a couple other machines with the solid pneumatic that do OK Off pavement. But the way they steer and run just isn’t quite as nice for it. Hard to explain.

5500 dollars, 6500 caapcity, 10,000 hours, and 2000+ year (not ancient). Decent buy?

That's a pretty reliable lift, in my opinion, but it's also at a price point where you could start to find something more useful, skip loader, skid steer, backhoe

I'm in each of my forklifts 1k and 3k

at 5500 for personal use, I'd want something that wasn't a one trick pony

6500lb capacity is cool, but it can't reach out very far, and it'll get stuck, so you'll wind up speeding 5500 to pick stuff straight up, then jockey whatever you're working on underneath it, make your pick, then pull stuff away.
If you're screwing around with truck parts in a gravel lot, you could probably find a $2500 lift to do it just as well, or even a physically larger more stable machine

That looks like a great value for a 10 man shop in a paved yard, or even a graded packed dirt lot.
for $5500 I'd want something I could load up on a trailer and make a few bucks with occasionally

As for 10k hours, I forget what ours were at, but you can look up comps, it probably has a little s10 gm 4 cyl with hybrid efi/propane setup, parts lookup may be a problem, but pricing shouldn't be terrible

I'm getting ready to move in a couple weeks and needed something that can move the 20k+ lbs of machine tools, tooling, and other random shit I've amassed in the past few years. Cheap lifts are hard to come by around here and sell within hours. This komatsu popped up on FB yesterday. Messaged the guy and went over and looked it it right away. He said he had 20+ people messaging him and I'd believe it. Gave him $3200 for it, delivered. Cheapest I've seen for anything in the 5k lb range nearby....and dual fuel w/ tank included on top of that.

Runs, all movements work, brakes work. No obvious puking fluid leaks. Smokes a little when warm and it looks like the crank case is getting pressurized (dipstick is hopping up ever few seconds) - assuming the rings are pretty well shot. Gonna throw a new pcv on it and see if that helps the case pressure. But it seems to run fine and will get me moved. It's got a nissan 4-cylinder engine in it - stupid easy to work on and parts should be cheap and plentiful.

I can clean it up, give it a Ritchie Brothers tune up (half assed paint job) and sell it for $5k when I'm done with it.

20200918_105718.jpg

That's pretty close to being the pneumatic tired version of what we've got a work. 4.3 GM. Looks to be the same mast as ours. The nice thing about that mast if its the same is being able to go through 8' doors with the forks several feet off the ground as well as lift the forks 6' off the ground in a room with a 10' ceiling. I borrowed a 2-stage nissan truck once and just about took a door out carrying super sacks through a doorway, had to set them on a pallet first and carry the pallet. Also has side shift, which is mandatory. Ours was a repaint/refub, I think we paid $12k in 2012 and it's a 2004 and had ~2000 hrs.

I'd offer less, but its a decent machine if that's what you need. You know your needs better than anyone on here, but for personal me I'd be more in the market for a 3-point forklift on a tractor or a loader with forks for that kind of money. $5500 will buy a really nice POS old loader. Forklifts are good at one thing, they are good at that, but that's all they do.

O, and don't underestimate how heavy and hard to move that will be unless you're planning to check all the fluids and drive it home. That probably weighs 14,000lbs+ and won't fit up any trailer ramps you likely have.

Also, O, What is the 4th SCV for? Lift, mast tilt, sideshift and ???

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to move in a couple weeks and needed something that can move the 20k+ lbs of machine tools, tooling, and other random shit I've amassed in the past few years. Cheap lifts are hard to come by around here and sell within hours. This komatsu popped up on FB yesterday. Messaged the guy and went over and looked it it right away. He said he had 20+ people messaging him and I'd believe it. Gave him $3200 for it, delivered. Cheapest I've seen for anything in the 5k lb range nearby....and dual fuel w/ tank included on top of that.

Runs, all movements work, brakes work. No obvious puking fluid leaks. Smokes a little when warm and it looks like the crank case is getting pressurized (dipstick is hopping up ever few seconds) - assuming the rings are pretty well shot. Gonna throw a new pcv on it and see if that helps the case pressure. But it seems to run fine and will get me moved. It's got a nissan 4-cylinder engine in it - stupid easy to work on and parts should be cheap and plentiful.

I can clean it up, give it a Ritchie Brothers tune up (half assed paint job) and sell it for $5k when I'm done with it.

Are you sure there is not a computer on that thing?

I have one that looks mighty similar and the computer control the throttle and there is no troubleshooting without their software and cord that looks like some DOS based BS.
(There is even a vacuum port that ties directly into the ECU)

There isn't even any throttle linkage to manually engage the carb.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh