What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

We have a Wilton 800 in the shop at work and I can tell you for sure that it's a fucking beast of a vice. Video says its been discontinued and I'm sure it was mainly due to the price. I believe it was close to $3k if not over when we ordered it 3 years ago.

That hardtail vice is awesome. :smokin:

Wish he would have thrown the DIY one in there for comparison, but there's probably too much variation in how they're finished out. And $5 vs $1800/3800 for fireball :laughing:

We have a Wilton 800 in the shop at work and I can tell you for sure that it's a fucking beast of a vice. Video says its been discontinued and I'm sure it was mainly due to the price. I believe it was close to $3k if not over when we ordered it 3 years ago.

That hardtail vice is awesome. :smokin:
It always amazes me that these things cost as much as they cost. They're simple castings, few machining operations. The fact that they cost on the same order as a 4-in-1 bucket that has way more operations to manufacture is absurd to me.

Last edited:
Wish he would have thrown the DIY one in there for comparison, but there's probably too much variation in how they're finished out. And $5 vs $1800/3800 for fireball :laughing:
Would love that also but understand he makes way more profit off the fireball vise. At least 40% I would guess. Even if the DIY vise is %50 as strong, I'm fine.

It always amazes me that these things cost as much as they cost. They're simply castings, few machining operations. The fact that they cost on the same order as a 4-in-1 bucket that has way more operations to manufacture is absurd to me.
Some times its the scale of production.

ThePanzerFuhrer: Sounds like you have a testing rig to make. Cant think of anyone else that would have scrap drill bits laying about. I wouldnt mind testing mine but then I need another one.​

Some times its the scale of production.
I get that. But this isn't some niche thing. Every shop the world over needs the biggest vice they can justifty the cost of, maybe more than one. It just baffles me that volumes are so low and the costs are so high.

How are you guys keeping the sliding surface of the tubes from rusting, and keep it from fitting up with dirt and debris? It looks like some metal chunks ended up in mine, you can see gouges on the tube.

How are you guys keeping the sliding surface of the tubes from rusting, and keep it from fitting up with dirt and debris? It looks like some metal chunks ended up in mine, you can see gouges on the tube.

Live in a barren wasteland where the humidity is 32% and 9inches total of rain a year. No problem with metal chunks but I use it off and on.

Is it galling? Did you lube it at all? Grease it up, or apply a graphite spray coating?

Should I gease that flat bearing? I don't think the main one can be?
I think the occasion oiling for the tubes sounds like the way to go

Should I gease that flat bearing? I don't think the main one can be?
I think the occasion oiling for the tubes sounds like the way to go
Oiling the main tube will only invite more grit. After a short time it will be sandpaper

How about some of that graphite paint they use in dumptrucks?

I have a bottle of the slip plate I'm going to use.
But I just read someone using motorcycle chain wax. That sounds like it would be good also

M92PV4U would be my first bet.

Aaron Z
20230213_080020.jpg

Top Back Refresh