What's new

Fireball releases a giant vise - the Hardtail

I need to see if any coworkers want to build one. What was the total price again for everything?

Made a new mounting plate for the vise. I need to convert the stand over to the same bolt system so I can switch grinder, buffer and vise out if needed. Most of the time the vise can live on the table.
Mount.jpg
Dang, I like that block to hammer on. What did you make yours out of?

Gauging interest in how many sets I need to start getting parts for? I’ll slowly start working on this now that shit has kinda slowed down for the year.

I’ll get a list made of what everyone wants and start working through it.
New here, it I’d like to be on the list for the next run.

Rod

Gauging interest in how many sets I need to start getting parts for? I’ll slowly start working on this now that shit has kinda slowed down for the year.

I’ll get a list made of what everyone wants and start working through it.

Any plans to cut swivel base pieces?

We have messaged a few times but a quick yes I am in for anything available!

I'm in for base and I have to remember what fell out of my box last time. I did buy a new welder for this project but have not done it.

Black Friday strikes again. I picked up the 4-piece mini set - 1 ea of 4" and 6" monster and megas along with a mutant. The smaller ones are nice. Most of the stuff I'm building is too small for the big squares. I kind of wish I would have gone with all 6" on the latest order as they'd be more useful than the 4" ones.....but I'll still find a use for them all.

1670102817093.png

1670102827801.png

1670102800920.png

Parked 'em right in front of my unfinished vise. :flipoff2:

What did I do wrong? The bearing plate wobbles, but everything seems smooth and straight by them selfs. I just have everything tacked together

Do the tops of the nuts have to be machined? I'm pretty sure it's the nuts that are wobbling

Do the tops of the nuts have to be machined? I'm pretty sure it's the nuts that are wobbling
If the plate spins nice when it’s unbolted but binds when it’s bolted down tube that has the nut welded in it is a little out of alignment. May need to cut it off and try again.

If it get hard then soft in the front bearing housing you may need to loosen the jam nut just a touch.

If the plate spins nice when it’s unbolted but binds when it’s bolted down tube that has the nut welded in it is a little out of alignment. May need to cut it off and try again.

If it get hard then soft in the front bearing housing you may need to loosen the jam nut just a touch.
But if the welded in nut was off, it wouldn't wobble it would just be angled. I'm pretty sure either the face of the nuts or the bearing plate isn't flat. Leaning towards the nuts

But if the welded in nut was off, it wouldn't wobble it would just be angled. I'm pretty sure either the face of the nuts or the bearing plate isn't flat. Leaning towards the nuts
Just give it a little loosen and try it again.

The jam nuts are tight on each other. This is 180 out. That's quite a gap
PXL_20221205_231922101.MP.jpg
PXL_20221205_231915912.MP.jpg

Loose or tight, it wobbles the plate to much.

The jam nuts are tight on each other. This is 180 out. That's quite a gap
PXL_20221205_231922101.MP.jpg
PXL_20221205_231915912.MP.jpg

Loose or tight, it wobbles the plate to much.
Maybe switch positions of those two jam nuts. I didn’t need to turn the nuts but the way it looks you may have too.

Go to

fireballtool.com

and there's a video that's not on youtube showing the vise getting tested/broken.

Edit: the video shows building the vise testing rig, and a teaser test of a chinese vise.

Last edited:
He's got the video of testing his Hardtail vise up on his website now. I don't know how to embed it.
It's impressive.

Top Back Refresh