What's new

***Fail***

IMG_20200504_142712491.jpg

50+ year old Romex

Same house, tapped the 6/3 with a 10/3.

IMG_20200423_132122155.jpg

IMG_20200423_132122155.jpg

Looks exactly like my buddies old house. I’m glad he got out of that place.

Yeah, she didn't understand why we wouldn't just "bring it up to code" by adding some receps. We told her it's a full gut and rewire or we won't touch it.

She also discovered HGTV is full of shit and she's not a contractor or superintendent, and all her subs hate her. Been a fun one.

Yeah, she didn't understand why we wouldn't just "bring it up to code" by adding some receps. We told her it's a full gut and rewire or we won't touch it.

She also discovered HGTV is full of shit and she's not a contractor or superintendent, and all her subs hate her. Been a fun one.

My buddies house was old. Still had the slate roof. It needed completely gutted.

Flipping houses is easy, I saw it on TV :lmao:

Flipping houses is easy, I saw it on TV :lmao:

Funny story, we did a HGTV bathroom remodel show years ago.

The "weekend remodel" took them about 6 months. It would have taken 2-4 weeks maybe if there wasn't a film crew. Turns out, you have to let things dry/cure like quickset, tile mortar and grout, tape and paint.

TV is fake! OMG! :lmao:

Funny story, we did a HGTV bathroom remodel show years ago.

The "weekend remodel" took them about 6 months. It would have taken 2-4 weeks maybe if there wasn't a film crew. Turns out, you have to let things dry/cure like quickset, tile mortar and grout, tape and paint.

TV is fake! OMG! :lmao:

Yup I always love the 'we are putting up the drywall in the morning so we can paint the room tonight....' wait what!

Yup I always love the 'we are putting up the drywall in the morning so we can paint the room tonight....' wait what!

Totally doable. Setting compound, one pass and sand while still soft, toss the first sealer coat of paint on thick and walk away for an hour before doing the top coats. Airflow, low humidity, and a reasonable room temperature helps.

It will look like shit though.

Totally doable. Setting compound, one pass and sand while still soft, toss the first sealer coat of paint on thick and walk away for an hour before doing the top coats. Airflow, low humidity, and a reasonable room temperature helps.

Yea, aka shit work. But everyone with a hammer can be a contractor.

If they use hot mud it can be dry in 5-45 minutes depending on which one you use.
Sets very hard and is hard to sand though.

Aaron Z

Had a client bring me in to fix their taping job once, they had started with 20 minute mud on the "put lots on and sand it off" program. What a nightmare.

Doesnt need to look like shit. It can still be done if you have good finishers. Quickset, and topping compound. Ive seen dry wall hung finished and painted in 20 hours with an A grade finish. You will pay for it but it can be done.

Doesnt need to look like shit. It can still be done if you have good finishers. Quickset, and topping compound. Ive seen dry wall hung finished and painted in 20 hours with an A grade finish. You will pay for it but it can be done.

I’ve done work like that. My good friend was an ex union Sheetrock guy. He had a few guys that did drywall with him. I helped them on a few houses before I left Oahu. Those guys did not fuck around. I was in way better shape than any of them but they ran me the fuck over when it came to hanging board. I felt beat up after a job but the pay was good.

A buddy of mine had the inside of his 2 story 30 x 60 shop done like that in 2 days. A crew of 8 guys came in and started hanging board from the sealing down immediately followed by 2 of those guys breaking off and doing the tape and mud behind the board guys. When the board guys were done they went in behind the tape/mud guys and did the sanding and skimming. They all pitched in to do a clean up and tape job and then it was sprayed. It came out great but im sure he paid dearly to get it done that fast. He never did mention the price for that.... :laughing:

A buddy of mine had the inside of his 2 story 30 x 60 shop done like that in 2 days. A crew of 8 guys came in and started hanging board from the sealing down immediately followed by 2 of those guys breaking off and doing the tape and mud behind the board guys. When the board guys were done they went in behind the tape/mud guys and did the sanding and skimming. They all pitched in to do a clean up and tape job and then it was sprayed. It came out great but im sure he paid dearly to get it done that fast. He never did mention the price for that.... :laughing:

You always think any idiot can do drywall. Until you see something like that.

You always think any idiot can do drywall. Until you see something like that.

Any idiot CAN hang drywall and it will likely look like crap. A coworker and I were talking about when he finished his basement. The old guy came upstairs and told them you can paint tomorrow. Dumbfounded he asked what about sanding? The old man said there may be a spot here or there you might have to dust, but you don't need to sand it. When he went downstairs the mud was damn near perfect and all the seams were flush. That's what a lifetime in a trade will do for you.

Reactions: Clb
Top Back Refresh