What's new

Carnivore diet?

Had lab work last week, orders from my rheumatologist. Even though I'm off meds and feel great, I wanted to see the labs. Bad. Severe reduction in kidney function since last labs 3 months ago. Going again next week.
I don't see how the kidneys could be effected by going off the meds besides positive.
I was taking daily protein powder, which I've now stopped. I read it can be hard on kidneys.
Oh well, find out more next week.

My friend after 3 months of strict carnivore might be in kidney failure. Waiting for second round of test results

Bumping this thread for any updates from the guys on it.

I'm in day 3 of a carnivore/ keto-vore diet 30-day trial aiming to drop some weight and feel less lethargic/ increased energy, and ideally eliminate sporadic mild gout flareups I've been experiencing the last year or so. I'm open to any suggestions/ recipe favorites that haven't been previously shared as well.

Carnivore was the selection i arrived at because it seems much simpler/approachable to me than keto with its 'net carb' counting complexity. I think ultimately i'll perhaps migrate towards Keto or maybe just a 5-ingredient food nutrition plan with a goal of eliminating the bulk of the processed/ sugary junk foods that have become too much a portion of our household eating routines.

Last edited:
Still on the fence for carnivore, no drinking for Jan, started mostly meat Jan1 as well. I have farm raised eggs I can mix in and still on fence about adding greens to get some amount of carbs. Go back and forth on whether ALL meat is worth it or greens and eggs with coffee in AM. I thought of this thread yesterday and wanted to check in.

Still on the fence for carnivore, no drinking for Jan, started mostly meat Jan1 as well. I have farm raised eggs I can mix in and still on fence about adding greens to get some amount of carbs. Go back and forth on whether ALL meat is worth it or greens and eggs with coffee in AM. I thought of this thread yesterday and wanted to check in.
I’ve been aiming at ‘standard/classical’ approach with eggs/ cheese/ coffee. I don’t think I could swing the ‘strict’ all meat/butter/water approach.
IMG_3552.jpeg

I’ve been aiming at ‘standard/classical’ approach with eggs/ cheese/ coffee. I don’t think I could swing the ‘strict’ all meat/butter/water approach.
IMG_3552.jpeg

I like this chart. My Dr. told me that because I jumped to strict carnivore, with no transition, that’s why my full bladder blew up at 3.5 weeks in. He insinuated that it might not have happed with a gradual change but there was no way to tell

not as active as I’d like to be, definitely need more regular exercise but not completely out of shape. why do you ask?

i went heavy on the meats, very few veggies mostly brocolli, and essentially no carbs for a while but just didnt have any energy. mixing in fruit and rice (complex carbs) in some moderation helped with the energy levels.

make sure you are getting salts/electrolytes since you are dropping processed stuff. LMNT, Liquid IV, plus a bunch of others if you just google keto electrolytes.

I've basically gone from "ketovore" to almost strict carnivore, but you have to figure out what mix works best for you. Very low carbs is the key to all of it. Moderate amounts of veg, spices, and dairy aren't going to directly hurt you, but they might play games with your mind. That's why I can't do dairy right now - i love it too much that I will OD on it and then, for some reason, it just makes me hungry. This week I decided to try just beef and eggs and coffee. So far so good - most of the cravings are gone now, but if I get some I have a couple eggs or something and it's done. I just filled the big freezer with meat top to bottom, so I'm good for a while. I love meat, and I know how to cook, so it works for me.

I've basically gone from "ketovore" to almost strict carnivore, but you have to figure out what mix works best for you. Very low carbs is the key to all of it. Moderate amounts of veg, spices, and dairy aren't going to directly hurt you, but they might play games with your mind. That's why I can't do dairy right now - i love it too much that I will OD on it and then, for some reason, it just makes me hungry. This week I decided to try just beef and eggs and coffee. So far so good - most of the cravings are gone now, but if I get some I have a couple eggs or something and it's done. I just filled the big freezer with meat top to bottom, so I'm good for a while. I love meat, and I know how to cook, so it works for me.
What spice/seasonings are you using for your meat cooking? It sounds like hardcore strict means butter and salt only.

In July I was relatively active, worked out fairly consistently for a while, ate "healthy" minus the occasional midnight snack/binge of junkfood. 220lbs give or take. Have always had skin issues and the joints were starting to feel worse for no apparent reason.

Three months of 5-6 days carnivore weekly and I'm down around 190 and have in fact stopped being strict because I was losing too much weight. Bathroom activity was a concern before starting but it turned out to be as good or better than ever. Bloating after meals and indigestion disappeared about a week or two in.

The hardest part for me was eating enough. I was eating a few eggs for breakfast, some healthy jerky for a snack and ribeye/filet for lunch and dinner. 4-6 ounces at lunch and a little more at dinner and I was good. Lost all cravings for junk foods. A month or so in started intermittent fasting accidentally as I just wasn't hungry early in the day and would eat quite a bit more at dinner.

I didn't have any bloodwork done but man, I can say as I type this out there were a LOT of positive results for me.

I also, against my better judgement, like Paul Saladino, "CarnivoreMD". He eats meat, organs, raw dairy, fruit. Talks a lot about drawbacks to some foods that are otherwise considered healthy. I also think he might be a shill as he is business partner with "liverking".

What spice/seasonings are you using for your meat cooking? It sounds like hardcore strict means butter and salt only.
The "rules" are up to interpretation. I do black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder as they don't seem to do anything to me and taste great on all the meats. Some carnivorians on the fringe like to talk about eliminating every single non-animal food, which is perfectly healthy.

In July I was relatively active, worked out fairly consistently for a while, ate "healthy" minus the occasional midnight snack/binge of junkfood. 220lbs give or take. Have always had skin issues and the joints were starting to feel worse for no apparent reason.

Three months of 5-6 days carnivore weekly and I'm down around 190 and have in fact stopped being strict because I was losing too much weight. Bathroom activity was a concern before starting but it turned out to be as good or better than ever. Bloating after meals and indigestion disappeared about a week or two in.

The hardest part for me was eating enough. I was eating a few eggs for breakfast, some healthy jerky for a snack and ribeye/filet for lunch and dinner. 4-6 ounces at lunch and a little more at dinner and I was good. Lost all cravings for junk foods. A month or so in started intermittent fasting accidentally as I just wasn't hungry early in the day and would eat quite a bit more at dinner.

I didn't have any bloodwork done but man, I can say as I type this out there were a LOT of positive results for me.

I also, against my better judgement, like Paul Saladino, "CarnivoreMD". He eats meat, organs, raw dairy, fruit. Talks a lot about drawbacks to some foods that are otherwise considered healthy. I also think he might be a shill as he is business partner with "liverking".
I have eczema and with the ketovore (just meat-heavy keto) it all went away completely. Over the holidays I fell off the wagon for just 2 weeks and ate all the carbs I saw. Three days in all my joints started to hurt. Another week into it my eczema flared up. Took like 20 minutes for the fog to clear when I would wake up in the morning. I hate what the carbs make me feel.

Paul Saladino is just another shit-talking content creator, but he's certainly not the only one. It's quite possible that the carb hit from honey and fruit on his diet in his lifestyle don't hurt him, but it's bad advice. Fatties like me can't do it and lose weight. If I were at my ideal weight and no longer mind-fucked into eating too much of the wrong stuff I could handle a mango and some honey, once in a while, too.

I’m between the middle 2 on that infographic above. Haven’t had fruit but had some broccoli, little salad tonight. Might pull back to the left category for a week and ease into it. Thanks for all the feedback, this helps. I have 2 quarters of beef to get through, and. 5yo momma cow that’s a bitch I can go shoot and grind at my leisure.

I'm at 10mo in a few days, still going strong. I think my body is doing great, last 3 blood work results are identical and perfect, my finger joints are back to what they used to be, and most importantly I feel fantastic. I'm still taking Enbrel injection, but I'm down to one every 2.5 weeks, and that's the only med. Dr can't believe how well I'm doing and is fully supportive of meds reduction, and my diet. I'm really hoping that in the next few months I can be off the last of meds.
My daily
Breakfast:
Coffee with whole unpasteurized heavy cream, 25g protein powder, colegen powder.
Bacon, sausage, 3 eggs.
Lunch:
Leftover meat from previous night
Dinner:
Mostly ribeye, sometimes cheeseburgers, bacon, prime rib, lots of butter, cream cheese, etc
Snacks: maybe a chomps meat stick, but I don't snack much.

Exercise:
Silks/gym 4-6 hrs/week
Daily calisthenics
Starting big hikes, 5+ mile minimum

Weekly:
Cold plunge, 1-2 min in 33° water
Sauna, 160° + hour or more

Sleep: 8-9 hrs every damn night

I have more energy, no afternoon fatigue, and literally feel the best I've ever felt. I'm not stiff when I get up in the morning, my back doesn't hurt anymore (L5/S1 diskectomy 13yrs ago), and I'm by far the strongest I've ever been.

I'll post a day 365 day photo in March, I've put on 20 or so pounds of muscle since my lowest weight.

Weekly:
Cold plunge, 1-2 min in 33° water
Sauna, 160° + hour or more
I keep hearing/reading ~11 minutes total of cold plunge per week as the ideal time and supposedly water doesn’t have to be colder than 52° for the benefits. I have a chiller but need to get a tank setup, ending showers with a few minutes of full cold but it’s not the same, currently 49° from the tap.

Bumping this thread; 3 weeks in I'm down around 20 lbs , clothes are starting to fit looser, Energy levels are good, gastrointestinal was fine after a few days initial adjustment. no real downside issues to report

i’ll bend from carnivore to keto occasionally when eating out; have had a side salad or two, a low carb tortilla once, lemon juice in water. Biggest cheat has been a few beers with my buddies once every other week or so.

I think I miss the occasional decadent dessert most and a pancake/waffle breakfast once in a while as well.

Grocery shopping seems much easier on this diet when you just have to walk to meat and dairy sections.

I picked up some sugar free electrolyte drink mix pouches that I have one of daily, but I really dislike the strong artificial sweetener/fake fruit taste, I’d probably prefer plain/ sour medicine flavor. Anyone got any suggestions there?

Last edited:
Lmnt, Redmond Relyte/Ultima are the best tasting electrolytes in order. Everything else I've tried tastes bad or weird. :laughing:

I'm sitting strong at about 95% meat. I was doing done protein powder dessert after dinner, but I've increased my steak during the day and tapered that down a bit. Off and on a couple dates or tangerine before bed to help me sleep. Feel pretty good, but workout motivation has been really lacking.

I keep hearing/reading ~11 minutes total of cold plunge per week as the ideal time and supposedly water doesn’t have to be colder than 52° for the benefits. I have a chiller but need to get a tank setup, ending showers with a few minutes of full cold but it’s not the same, currently 49° from the tap.
I do 3 minutes every morning. Get a cattle tank and some cold plates or an ice machine and a hot tub filter.

I do 3 minutes every morning. Get a cattle tank and some cold plates or an ice machine and a hot tub filter.
What temperature?

I am doing a deep freeze style, instead of sealing the inside of the deep freeze I just welded up a liner out of steel and coated it. Hooking up lines today and got the temperature controller yesterday, hoping to have it all set up and working this weekend

What temperature?

I am doing a deep freeze style, instead of sealing the inside of the deep freeze I just welded up a liner out of steel and coated it. Hooking up lines today and got the temperature controller yesterday, hoping to have it all set up and working this weekend
usually about 39 degrees. I dump 20 lbs of ice into a cattle tank and stir it up. The trick is to move around so you don't create a thermal barrier with the water against your skin.

fuck a cold plunge. making your body think its about to die from hypothermia regularly cant be good.

moderatly stressing your body makes sense to me, but putting your body in shock that often has to have downsides.

sauna and a cold-ish shower 3-4 times a week does help me keep aches and pains away.

i dont thing i'm carnivore, but do try to get at least a 1/2lb of meat and a protien shake in me everyday.

I've been doing it for almost 30 years, I've nothing be positive results, all my blood work is perfect except i need to add more salt to my food because my numbers are at the bottom level.

I picked up some sugar free electrolyte drink mix pouches that I have one of daily, but I really dislike the strong artificial sweetener/fake fruit taste, I’d probably prefer plain/ sour medicine flavor. Anyone got any suggestions there?
I have only used LMNT and Dr Berg electrolytes, I like them both.

Top Back Refresh