What's new

Carnivore diet?

My wife just did a program which took 2-3 months which basically cut out all the food groups and slowly added them back in 1 at a time for a week at a time to see what ones were causing her issues. It was a pretty intense program but it’s pretty clear what foods your body has an issue with. I’ll have to see if I can get that list of food groupings from her.

I don't have much to add if anything. I have read all of this and some of it makes sense and some does not but one thing I haven't seen any comment on is what's in the meat you eat.

I guess if the saying you are what you eat rings true, then one should consider what the tasty animals are eating or being treated with.

Just a thought that some of our health problems might just be from how our meat is raised etc.

Lawless
I couldn't agree more. We eat primarily elk, antelope, and deer I've harvested. We trade locally raised pork from our friends.
Unfortunately the small amount of beef and "organic" chicken thighs we buy are from the store. I'm looking into local beef now, as I'm aware of the benefits. We may even raise some meat birds this year, we'll see.

I went back on keto after thanksgiving. Down 20+ lbs and I feel so much better. No crash in the afternoon, rarely feel hungry, I will swear my brain works better - I've got at least 7-10 projects running at any given time between work and personal and can keep up with them.

Downsides so far:
Food is more expensive (but I eat a lot less)
Going out is a PITA, same with work catered lunches, etc. There are less choices and often you are thowing away part of the meal or putting in a really complicated order

If you have a spouse/family make sure they are down with it. Its really hard if you are the only one doing it and the meals getting made are not friendly to the diet.

Answering the OP's question down below, but first I gotta brag!!! LOL! :homer:

I am on it. Well...on MY version of it.

This past summer, I was weighing around 280-285ish.

On September 12th, my middle son left for Marine Corps bootcamp, so I figured I would do my own bootcamp and lose weight to surprise him when I saw him again at his graduation: 13 weeks later in Dec. On that day, I was at 275lbs. I had a second goal of losing weight for Lance's Off-road Hall of Fame induction in November, since I knew we would be taking a ton of pictures.

ALL I did was change my diet. I didn't workout, walk, exercise, or even quit drinking. (switched from beers to straight Jack) I just kept to below 20 grams of carbs a day and the weight flew off. I was losing about a pound every other day in October and November.

I weighed in at 244 for Lance's induction on Oct 30th, then at 234 for my kid's bootcamp graduation on Dec 9th.

Cheated through the holidays and got up to 244 again on Jan 1st, but I am at 225 as of this morning. My goal now is 210 by the end of the school year.

My fat ass the day my kid left for boot camp.

20220911_115121.jpg

244lbs at Lance's Off Road Motorsports Hall of fame induction.

20221030_225646.jpg

One of my most recent pics. At about 229 here. Lost enough belly where I can appendix carry now !

20230217_112849.jpg

Still 229ish here
2023-01-21-19-16-39-526.jpg

Whenever I slowed down, I changed something up. Started intermittent fasting in January, started lifting weights in Feb, and this month I have started two things: jogging and alternate day fasting.

Which brings me to my actual main point for the OP:

It not not just about how much you eat, or what you eat, but WHEN you eat.

Matson from Metalcloak has been talking to me for years about fasting. He swears by it.

I started IF, eating only in an 8 hour window, in January and made a lot of progress. (I lost another 10 pounds in January after gaining a little over the holidays)

Now I am doing alternate day fasting. Meaning if my last meal is at 7 pm Sunday night, I do not eat until 7am (well...actually 10am) on Tuesday.

It is WAY easier than I thought it would be....and I never really get hungry. Doing that, the ketones kick in and all I burn is fat. My head really clears up, and during the day at least, I seem to have a lot of energy. So much so that I look FORWARD to my fasting days.

I am also staying under 20 carbs a day still.

But there are a LOT of benefits to fasting, especially when it comes to inflammation things like arthritis.

I would try some type of IF for a while. I wouldn't start with alternate day, maybe just keep your eating between 1 and 7 and after a month see how you feel.

Here's a video about the benefits:

Attachments

• 20220911_115121.jpg
    20220911_115121.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Tech Tim Totally agree, and that's my plan. Only meat for 90 days, then if I feel great, slowly add in things that are good for me and I like. If I could do meat, avocado, nuts, and a little fruit, I'd be pretty damn happy. We eat generally very healthy now, almost all whole foods, but a lot of variety. Very little saturated or hydrogenated oils, or sugar.

I would leave the nuts out for the first 30-60 days then slowly add them back in and see if you notice any difference.

Im on week 2 of this diet, and so far positive results. I am down around 8 pounds while still having some beers 2-3 times a week when we are out socially. Now I will say I have always had tons of meat in my diet in the past, so I have no issues with doing it full time. A thick blackened Ribeye 3-4 times a week is highly recommended! :grinpimp: I do not eat the organ meat, but i do take a multivitamin daily to help offset that, while I cant speak for its effectiveness at this time. Two positives for me besides losing weight is that I have stopped snoring since only a few days into the diet (my GF is loving that!), and I also have noticeably less congestion, which now makes me question if I have had a slight food allergy for all these years. Bowel movements are much less frequent, but I have not had any issues so far. That's about all I can say for only 2 weeks in....

I know when I went Keto, pushing really heavy on the meat end of it, my joint pain in my knees and other joints went away.

I say go for it. Can't hurt to try.
Same, not quiet gone but diminished greatly. I need to get back on it.

One full week in the bag. So far, so good.
Been eating my main meal around 6pm. If I'm hungry I'll eat a little at lunch, but mainly eating once a day. Found some delicious "Irish butter" grass fed, tastes wonderful.
I've been eating a little cheese (cheese curds), and a little avocado. Nothing else.

My rheumatologist had me go off celebrex at my last appt 3 weeks ago, after 4 days my joints blew up, so I went back on it. I went off of it again 3 days into this diet, 4 full days ago. No inflammation at all and my finger joints are the slimmest they've been in 3 years. Fingers crossed. I'm going to wait until week 3 to go off the methotrexate.
PXL_20230319_231935438.jpg

Lawless
I couldn't agree more. We eat primarily elk, antelope, and deer I've harvested. We trade locally raised pork from our friends.
Unfortunately the small amount of beef and "organic" chicken thighs we buy are from the store. I'm looking into local beef now, as I'm aware of the benefits. We may even raise some meat birds this year, we'll see.
This. We are trying to be a local and well sourced as we can. Elk when ever possible. Have a super legit small cattle rancher locally and is butchered in a local legit butcher shop as well. We did a 1/2 cow last year and probably will buy a full one this year. Trying to grow and can as much as we can has always been our thing but with food prices its even more of a thing. Our orchard area is fenced this year and about 3/4 of the trees should fruit this year provided we dont get another late frost like last year:mad3:. I feed raw for the dog and am thinking about doing meat rabbits for both him and us. Along with hatching our another couple dozen chickens hoping for a dozen hens. Have zero desire to do cows, maybe pigs but not cows have a guy that does a great job on those and to me that’s worth paying for.

Fair Warning!

So 2 weeks in all good. Week 3 crazy stomachs pain, bloating, gas, and discomfort. Week 4 it persists and the Dr tells me the high fat/protein diet gas is something not everyone can handle. It might have permanently ruined my gall bladder, might require removing. This is common and he knew right what it was.

He said he would send me right to surgery based on the ultra sound if I hadn’t tried a Atkins/carnivore/ kinda diet

So I’m on a pile of pills, still in pain and this is the other side of a fad diet you don’t normally hear about.

I think it's important to remember everyone is different and what works for some won't work for others.

At the end of the day all that matters is calories in, calories out. The rest is just what makes you feel best.

My wife just did a program which took 2-3 months which basically cut out all the food groups and slowly added them back in 1 at a time for a week at a time to see what ones were causing her issues. It was a pretty intense program but it’s pretty clear what foods your body has an issue with. I’ll have to see if I can get that list of food groupings from her.
Did you manage to find the list?

Did you manage to find the list?
I asked her this morning. She sent me her elimination procedure. This is what she did to eliminate all the known problem foods. The groups under the eliminate are the food groupings.

Once a food is eliminated it is done until the week it gets added back. Each grouping gets added back in a certain order and only that group gets added back in for that week to see if your body has a reaction to it. I’ll ask her for the order it gets added back in on.

So my wife is doing this again. She had a slight reaction the first time she did this with eggs. She eliminated eggs on sat and her 3 week long persistent runny nose has went away. She is thinking her body cannot handle eggs or at least a large quantity of them. She was eating an egg every morning for breakfast.

95158031-956B-4D19-BC1E-8D7FEE49CB81.jpeg

2B673887-9748-4EDD-A3BA-CE48AFC71E14.jpeg

D4905DDF-FE67-4F59-8D3D-01546A95E233.jpeg

035064E9-F357-4FA0-893D-4E7D88049CA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Fair Warning!

So 2 weeks in all good. Week 3 crazy stomachs pain, bloating, gas, and discomfort. Week 4 it persists and the Dr tells me the high fat/protein diet gas is something not everyone can handle. It might have permanently ruined my gall bladder, might require removing. This is common and he knew right what it was.

He said he would send me right to surgery based on the ultra sound if I hadn’t tried a Atkins/carnivore/ kinda diet

So I’m on a pile of pills, still in pain and this is the other side of a fad diet you don’t normally hear about.
Good to know, hope you start feeling better.
Why made you decide to try carnivore?

Good to know, hope you start feeling better.
Why made you decide to try carnivore?
Weight. Fasting for months did nothing. Working out 2-5x a week, nothing.

I was on a hybrid Atkins/Carnivore/cleanse. My rules;

0-30 carbs but closer to 0 daily.
No sugar
Nothing made in a lab or additives
Meat, eggs, and hard cheeses basically (no sugar in hard cheeses)
Cooked with oil and butter
Veggies 1 serving every 2-3 dats
No fruit
No alcohol 5-7 days a week.

Poke
If you've been heavy for a long time, brought on by a diet high I sugar and carbs, it's possible your gallbladder has been struggling for a long time and now that has to make switch to making more bile to help digest the fats it's in overload.
What about the possibility of a gallstone?
Hope you can figure it out, and continue with weight loss :beer:

Poke
If you've been heavy for a long time, brought on by a diet high I sugar and carbs, it's possible your gallbladder has been struggling for a long time and now that has to make switch to making more bile to help digest the fats it's in overload.
What about the possibility of a gallstone?
Hope you can figure it out, and continue with weight loss :beer:

I’m 190 5 8”. So 20ish over weight but I drank beer daily for years until recently. With IPA, bourbon and home brews a normal think My extra calories are all there. My food diet is better than average, lean meats, veggies, not carb heavy. I do not eat sweets, can’t stand them.

No gallstones, had a scan

Three weeks in on Tuesday.
It's been going really well. Cooking some delicious meals.
I feel fantastic, best I've felt in years.

Here's the best part. First week I went off of Celebrex prescription, zero flare ups.
On the second Friday after starting carnivore I didn't take my weekly dose of Methotrexate or Enbrel. Yesterday was two full weeks off that shit. My hands and other joints that were previously still a little swollen even on the meds are now normal size. I can see the ligaments in the back of my hands for the first time in years.

It may not work for everyone, but it seems to be working for me. I've had zero cheat days.

I'm adding some extra protein and collagen in daily, a long with electrolytes. Bought the supplements in bulk to make our own LMNT type electrolytes. I like a scoop of the protein in my coffee in the morning.

Only downside for me, is weight loss. I've lost 10lbs, not really wanting to. First time I've been 200lbs in years. I'm eating as much as I can, but I just don't feel I need the volume like before. I'm doing calisthenics daily, working on bringing back weight in muscle. Also why I added protein powder in.

Some of the meals.
PXL_20230331_124429696.jpg
PXL_20230402_000225993.jpg
PXL_20230402_005224678.jpg
PXL_20230406_005349913.MP.jpg

So why is there so much data on a carnivore diet "fixing" autoimmune disorders? I can't help but think it's worth a shot.

Totally agree. I've got nothing to lose.

I've been to several rheumatologists, and get the same poke, prod, here take Enbrel, methotrexate, and celebrex.
My ex has had RA for years. It's not something that's in your head. Def real as fuck. She has an issue storing iron as well. Go for it.

Oddly enough after telling my high school friend about my very bad carnivore experience he knows of two people who had heart attacks on it.

One was a biker riding 100 miles or more a week on his early 50’s. The other was a mid 40’s friend of his who was in shape but boom.

Who knows if it was related to diet change but he seemed to associate both with carnivore.

Top Back Refresh