What's new

Carnage share thread

Strange break on that axle. I would expect it to be a more twisted fracture from inboarding the links like that but it looks more compression and tension than twist.

That's impressive, the amount of stress that thing takes has gotta be insane. I always wondered about all the extra stress from the portal leverage on the axle tube.

I've seen those kind of breaks on stock Volvo portals as well. The single layer of material just won't keep up to the abuse.
The forces working on that when you're banging it on 40"s are significant.

Mogs have about twice the material thickness, and then twice as many materials's's :laughing:
One fat ass inner axle tube and another fat ass axle housing outside that. All welded to each other spreading the load.

A stunt like this would have bent the fawk out of a Volvo or Yota. My 404's just asked for more :flipoff2:
Capture.JPG

Time for 4" tubes.
Yeah...which means that JHF needs to offer a 4" Inner C for their portals...but since weight is the driving factor, I don't know that it will be an option. I'd have gone 4" 1/4 wall tubes had that been an option for the portals/Cs.

It's not a joke. The 100 series front diffs are a known weak point. I've seen a half dozen or more friends blow theirs up, one just this past weekend with a 2" lift and 33" tires.

Toyota 8" diffs in mini trucks and the front of 80 series are only marginally better, and only because the trucks that have them have no power. The LX470 has decent power and just shreds the front diff with little effort.

It's not a joke. The 100 series front diffs are a known weak point. I've seen a half dozen or more friends blow theirs up, one just this past weekend with a 2" lift and 33" tires.

Toyota 8" diffs in mini trucks and the front of 80 series are only marginally better, and only because the trucks that have them have no power. The LX470 has decent power and just shreds the front diff with little effort.
I'm aware of the limitations of putting a light duty front end under a heavy powerful vehicle. Its not like that's something new to the world. I just didn't want to give Arse the satisfaction:laughing::flipoff2:

Last edited:
offtopic but is there an easy upgrade? I've always like those LX470 but it defeats the purpose to pick one up cheap if it's got a huge weak link that takes a solid axle swap or something to fix.

I'm aware of the limitations of putting a light duty front end under a heavy powerful vehicle. Its not like that's something new to the world. I just didn't want to give Arse the satisfactioni:laughing::flipoff2:
By trying to sweep the problem under the rug rather than own up to it you're behaving exactly like everyone expects a stereotypical Toyota owner who's in denial about the value for money (lack thereof really) to behave.

offtopic but is there an easy upgrade? I've always like those LX470 but it defeats the purpose to pick one up cheap if it's got a huge weak link that takes a solid axle swap or something to fix.
A friend of mine is currently working on making a “kit” to put a much bigger tundra front differential in them. It’s going to be very cost prohibitive and difficult because it doesn’t just fit in there.

Diff is in, mounts are sorted out, gonna cut passenger tube down 1.5 inches
Spidertrax is working on shafts for the diff per my drawings (flanged 943 cvs)
The factory rack still fits
Thinking about how to integrate the factory rack and a full hydro cylnd in front of it and j leg attached to eachother..
Rack still fits factory location

image000000.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
image000001.jpeg

By trying to sweep the problem under the rug rather than own up to it you're behaving exactly like everyone expects a stereotypical Toyota owner who's in denial about the value for money (lack thereof really) to behave.
You 'tistic boi? I explained why. Tell me that everyone else didn't do the same because they never figured you'd bolt big tires on something off-road and stomp the loud pedal. I'll wait with your defense of Ford and everyone else putting marginal axles under their product:flipoff2:

Reactions: Clb
You 'tistic boi? I explained why. Tell me that everyone else didn't do the same because they never figured you'd bolt big tires on something off-road and stomp the loud pedal. I'll wait with your defense of Ford and everyone else putting marginal axles under their product:flipoff2:
Tons of small diffs are kicking around out there.

The difference is that the RBV guys know the 28 is shit, the mullet and bowtie guys know the 10b doesn't belong under a 3/4 ton, the land rover people know that both ends are shit. Whereas the Toyota guys all act like a bunch of cops or democrats or whatever and goose step in line rather than admit they got their own problems.

As I've always said. It's not about the vehicles. It's the owners who are the pieces of shit.

8" hp diff will break multiple chromo shafts and birfs if set up correctly. Low power is greatly offset by multiplication of 200-300:1.

I still don't like them because you dump $1000s in just to be on the ragged edge.

My point though, is why are the 470s breaking ring and pinions before cv axles?

Reactions: Clb
Top Back Refresh