What's new

Calif Fires

doesnt look to bad at this point
mostly south of 80

lightning strikes for the last 24 hours

We got hammered last night and this morning with lightning, note the dark red cluster NE of Carson City. Luckily it came with some pretty heavy downpours. More of it on the way!

Lived just off six mile 20 years ago bet its grown since then.

Cameras last shot before being taken out by fire.
Might say which one in the pic imbed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhNYWkGkPg

RKluN5H_d.webp

Last edited:
I mean, if we put the 74738 billion that gets wasted on shit like high speed rails, or whatever else to masticators running year round. Or allow call fire dozers to clear ground any time but during a fire, we'd be looking a little better.

of course theres things that could be done to help more but over all where a lot of these fires are dozer lines isnt the only answer, it would definitely help around community growth boundaries

of course theres things that could be done to help more but over all where a lot of these fires are dozer lines isnt the only answer, it would definitely help around community growth boundaries

I'm not talking about just dozer lines. Over by you I think a large masticator on a timber pro going to town on whole hill sides is what it's going to take.

That or one of these dedicated units:grinpimp:

02a-240.jpg

The hard thing about masticators is that they're really good at starting fires also:laughing: so you either have to have an all terrain fire suppression rig (usually a retired skidder with a water tank in place of the grapple) but what else can you do? Not like these fires are cheap to fight either.

I'm not talking about just dozer lines. Over by you I think a large masticator on a timber pro going to town on whole hill sides is what it's going to take.

That or one of these dedicated units:grinpimp:

The hard thing about masticators is that they're really good at starting fires also:laughing: so you either have to have an all terrain fire suppression rig (usually a retired skidder with a water tank in place of the grapple) but what else can you do? Not like these fires are cheap to fight either.

every time i see one i think zombie killer :laughing:

i think they should spend that train money on helicopters that can fly at night, if we had 5k helicopters that can fly at night that could change the game big time imo

im on my couch at home though so wtf do i know :laughing:

i think they should spend that train money on helicopters that can fly at night, if we had 5k helicopters that can fly at night that could change the game big time imo

I'm sure they would work well for antifa crowd control as well. :laughing:​​​​​​

I tried to find a good Pic of the timberpro/timbco/feller buncher with a masticator head on it but failed. The slopes those things can go up and down are crazy.

So per a comment of yours earlier.....looks like your sister got lucky :flipoff2:No rehab for her, insurance money rebuild.

I know you're joking, I think. But it's really not something I would wish on anyone, there is so much more to it than a pile of money. Everyone talks about how well people did that last their house. If you want "a bunch of money" just go sell your house and everything you own. Then throw away everything that has no value, like family heirlooms and your kids trophys.

Then if you live in a treed area, you have to deal with waiting for 100 year old trees to regrow. But ya, that big check.

This thread suckered me into registering so I could share a few thoughts. Mostly california fire specific.

First, climate change is a copout excuse for these fires. I'm not denying or affirming climate change itself here, just saying that in the context of protecting people and property from wildfires, it misses the mark.

index.jpg

Looking at the neat diagram on wildland fire behavior (courtesty of OSU Extension) as somebody trying to reduce fire behavior, it sure seems that managing weather or topography is kind of cost-prohibitive. Managing fuels is the easiest and cheapest fastest approach. Sure, veg treatment is "expensive", but when CDF/CalFire drops ~$300M on only 12 helicopters, we can see that there's some money to be thrown at this thing.

Second, I'm not saying to not invest more resources towards a solution, but we should invest those resources wisely. For instance, at the very least a reliable advanced warning/evac and information system would be a good start before 12 new helicopters. So that the 1.7 million households classified as having "High" or "Extreme" fire risk (Source) will ALL get a warning with enough lead time to let them actually make decisions about what to do rather than running for their lives. That versus 0.000007 helicopters per household. Or, for more perspective, look at one of those slick Fecon machines above. Say it can treat fuels for $1,500 an acre (high estimate). That's potentially 200,000 acres of fuelbreak, where fires CAN be stopped.

Third is the red tape on veg projects. Many of them are regulated under mostly the same rules as timber harvesting here in the state (read: stringent). Again, to be pragmatic, there's a reason those rules came to be. But what's the point of protecting the owl, murrelet, fisher, and frog habitat; or the numerous archaeological sites from "damaging operations" when the lack of operations can cause much more drastic and widespread damage to these resources from a fire. There's some pretty appalling shit being spewed out there, such as this and this. The second link there has your Timbco btw YotaAtieToo

In short, people have been managing the landscape around them here in the state for as long as people have been here. There's nothing wrong with that if we do it wisely. We're not doing that now. Then push for a gross negligence standard for prescribed burners instead of simple negligence (info). And get involved with your local firesafe council out there. There are a lot of people doing good things with those.

Rant over, now roast me for shitting on CDF :flipoff2:

index.jpg

This thread suckered me into registering so I could share a few thoughts. Mostly california fire specific.

First, climate change is a copout excuse for these fires. I'm not denying or affirming climate change itself here, just saying that in the context of protecting people and property from wildfires, it misses the mark.

Looking at the neat diagram on wildland fire behavior (courtesty of OSU Extension) as somebody trying to reduce fire behavior, it sure seems that managing weather or topography is kind of cost-prohibitive. Managing fuels is the easiest and cheapest fastest approach. Sure, veg treatment is "expensive", but when CDF/CalFire drops ~$300M on only 12 helicopters, we can see that there's some money to be thrown at this thing.

Second, I'm not saying to not invest more resources towards a solution, but we should invest those resources wisely. For instance, at the very least a reliable advanced warning/evac and information system would be a good start before 12 new helicopters. So that the 1.7 million households classified as having "High" or "Extreme" fire risk (Source) will ALL get a warning with enough lead time to let them actually make decisions about what to do rather than running for their lives. That versus 0.000007 helicopters per household. Or, for more perspective, look at one of those slick Fecon machines above. Say it can treat fuels for $1,500 an acre (high estimate). That's potentially 200,000 acres of fuelbreak, where fires CAN be stopped.

Third is the red tape on veg projects. Many of them are regulated under mostly the same rules as timber harvesting here in the state (read: stringent). Again, to be pragmatic, there's a reason those rules came to be. But what's the point of protecting the owl, murrelet, fisher, and frog habitat; or the numerous archaeological sites from "damaging operations" when the lack of operations can cause much more drastic and widespread damage to these resources from a fire. There's some pretty appalling shit being spewed out there, such as this and this. The second link there has your Timbco btw YotaAtieToo

In short, people have been managing the landscape around them here in the state for as long as people have been here. There's nothing wrong with that if we do it wisely. We're not doing that now. Then push for a gross negligence standard for prescribed burners instead of simple negligence (info). And get involved with your local firesafe council out there. There are a lot of people doing good things with those.

Rant over, now roast me for shitting on CDF :flipoff2:

I don't have time to fully read this now, so if I missed something, :flipoff2:

Although I agree, blaming the weather solely is a cop out. Because it's something we can't change (depending on who you ask :laughing:​​​​​​) but I don't care how much fuel reduction you do around your little property, when a fire is ripping over baron mountains with 50+ mph winds behind it, you're fucked.

There were countless metal and cinder lock buildings in paradise with large clearings around them that were gutted.

These fires are rare, but there really isn't a simple solution to stop these crazy fires like Santa rosa and paradise.

Seeing how my life long good friend lost his mom in the 03 fires in North San Diego on property that was cleared beyond the "recommendations"...yeah.

Seeing how my life long good friend lost his mom in the 03 fires in North San Diego on property that was cleared beyond the "recommendations"...yeah.

This sucks to hear. I had just become a north county San Diego resident late that year, as the firestorms that broke SD county records were sweeping thru everywhere. I then lost a home 4 yrs later.

Welcome aboard, RustBucket!

this thread suckered me into registering so i could share a few thoughts. Mostly california fire specific.

looking at the neat diagram on wildland fire behavior (courtesty of osu extension) as somebody trying to reduce fire behavior, it sure seems that managing weather or topography is kind of cost-prohibitive. Managing fuels is the easiest and cheapest fastest approach. Sure, veg treatment is "expensive", but when cdf/calfire drops ~$300m on only 12 helicopters, we can see that there's some money to be thrown at this thing.

Second, i'm not saying to not invest more resources towards a solution, but we should invest those resources wisely. For instance, at the very least a reliable advanced warning/evac and information system would be a good start before 12 new helicopters. So that the 1.7 million households classified as having "high" or "extreme" fire risk (source) will all get a warning with enough lead time to let them actually make decisions about what to do rather than running for their lives. That versus 0.000007 helicopters per household. Or, for more perspective, look at one of those slick fecon machines above. Say it can treat fuels for $1,500 an acre (high estimate). That's potentially 200,000 acres of fuelbreak, where fires can be stopped.

Third is the red tape on veg projects. Many of them are regulated under mostly the same rules as timber harvesting here in the state (read: Stringent). Again, to be pragmatic, there's a reason those rules came to be. But what's the point of protecting the owl, murrelet, fisher, and frog habitat; or the numerous archaeological sites from "damaging operations" when the lack of operations can cause much more drastic and widespread damage to these resources from a fire. There's some pretty appalling shit being spewed out there, such as this and this. The second link there has your timbco btw yotaatietoo

in short, people have been managing the landscape around them here in the state for as long as people have been here. There's nothing wrong with that if we do it wisely. We're not doing that now. Then push for a gross negligence standard for prescribed burners instead of simple negligence (info). And get involved with your local firesafe council out there. There are a lot of people doing good things with those.

Rant over, now roast me for shitting on cdf :flipoff2:

tt
rr
oo
ll

So per a comment of yours earlier.....looks like your sister got lucky :flipoff2:No rehab for her, insurance money rebuild.

Long term for sure. Short term it sucks. She is the sentimental type where everything has some type of importance to her.
She is moving forward as good as one could. She was down at the county today applying for a permit for a temporary power poll while the fire is still burning and the infrastructure is a ways out. Then went and met up with an architect to get house plans started and a lawer that specializes in total loss claims.
Her and her husband are high up in search and rescue for the sheriff's department and he is a volunteer firefighter that was working on saving the prisoner fire camp a mile from thier house when it burnt. The community has gotten togeather for them and already raised over 10k to help them out. I think they are going to use the money to buy a trailer to live in while they rebuild.

Some do fly at night. LA county does. I think the new cal fire firehawks can as well.

Some do fly at night. LA county does. I think the new cal fire firehawks can as well.

im aware, which is where the idea came from. having only 3 of them in the whole state doesnt help with huge wild fires, if they had a thousand of them it would make a massive difference, too much money though.

Heres some pics from my place during and after the River fire, It started on my property about .5 mile up the canyon at 3 am. Fire crews had it out by 12pm as a 20 acre burn. but then the wind changed and it took off like crazy. Turned into a 55k acre fire in less than 4 days.
3 of my neighbors lost their homes.

118475030_1213158715684125_957017755760484318_n.jpg

118653599_904221173654985_6889405772063730247_n.jpg

118308195_304233580864441_3658694993303342270_n.jpg

118327087_302493854360647_835623426515198060_n.jpg

118340947_680802842514037_8849176091590004455_n.jpg

Lived just off six mile 20 years ago bet its grown since then.

We are in a new Subdivision off Ft. Churchill (west side) that was built in 2005-2006, backing up to Rolling A and Rawe Peak.

Just did barrett lake,went in 28 aug.
Vacaville at 0600 was shrouded is smoke, sunrise over sac was red.
​​And after the run yesterday the sun was red at 1800
(and ya the sun is red,Yellow,white) whatever!
Pics are loading now...

Just did barrett lake,went in 28 aug.
Vacaville at 0600 was shrouded is smoke, sunrise over sac was red.
​​And after the run yesterday the sun was red at 1800
(and ya the sun is red,Yellow,white) whatever!
Pics are loading now...

Were you the guy with the group of three or four trailer queens we saw Sunday ? Do you recall talking to us, We were in the white CRV on the wrights Lake raod, paved, you were coming out. I stopped to have a few words . . . .. Could smell your brakes !!! Still hazy here east of Sacramento but significant improvement in air quality. Havent looked at the local fire news lately but for checking on the fire in Montana near our property near the Cont Divide. That one is officially out after 20 days . . . . ..

So are these still burning ?
Fully dropped off the news cycle

the LNU, SCU and CZU complex fires are definitely winding down which is good, not much growth expected in them
LNU 375K acres, 70% contained
SCU 390K acres 70% contained
CZU 85K acres 43% contained

The entire town of Walker, on both sides of Highway 395, has been evacuated. yet again with the Slink fire
nothing but ugly there
Hwy 395 is also closed
Based on expected winds and low humidity, firefighters expect to continue to experience extreme fire behavior.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slink fire_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	276.1 KB ID:	119969

and the August complex is going strong and will certainly grow in size up north
243K acres 20% contained and spreading
this one is currently 35 miles north to south in size

Click image for larger version  Name:	August fire 9-1_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	275.5 KB ID:	119970

Last edited:
2 of the 3 largest fires in the states history are this year
the August complex is growing fast still and will take the 4th spot in a day
those three now total over a million acres, that's almost the size of Delaware

Click image for larger version Name:	top 20 fires_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.2 KB ID:	120891

Last edited:
2 of the 3 largest fires in the states history are this year
the August complex is growing fast still and will take the 4th spot in a day
those three now total over a million acres, that's almost the size of Delaware

and two of those 3 are in my county :eek: i think about 70% of my county has burned in the past 5yrs

if you were to drive by car it would take over 2hrs to get from one end of the fire(LNU) to other

you can draw a line from Vacaville north, through the
2020 LNU fire,
2015 Rocky fire
2018 Pawnee
2018 Ranch
2020 August complex

that's 127 miles that everything has burned in only 5 years :eek:

if the August Complex joins with the Elkhorn fire, add another 15 to that

Top Back Refresh