What's new

Calif Fires

Hot and ugly this weekend

the Claremont and Bear fires have merged now, but burning away from the towns currently

Bear-Clarmont_001.jpg

Creek fire just started late yesterday
in the area of Shave lake
over 5000 acres alreay

Click image for larger version Name:	Creek Fire_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.8 KB ID:	123960

Last edited:
and the August complex is still growing, over 300K acres
if it mergers with the Elkhorn it will top 400K
the map below is 60 miles north to south

Doe-Elkhorn_001.jpg

I am not trying to minimize the suffering and pain of many unfortunate people in the path of these fires. But one can not help but wonder how much more there is to burn in this state. I dont think we still fully realize how different the pre-Colombian landscape was from today's. Almost anywhere you go in tis state, semi-arid and desert excluded, you see neck to single story high flammable oily xeriscape brush. Higher, up in elevation, crowded highly flammable trees surrounded by ladder fuel brush and tons and tons of fuel load fallen timber. It's gonna burn hot brother. I have been out two of the last three weekends in the nearby local Desolation Wilderness and adjoining Tahoe and El Dorado Nat. forests. Yeah, the Rubicon Trail area. You can see a few prescribed controlled burns,and some remnants of former fires, but there is a huge fire ball waiting. It has to come, it must. To return vast almost limitless quantities of public forest and watershed to cooler limited fire potential landscape will be a monumental work taking decades. Just the diesel emissions to cut, chip and plow will impact the arctic ice ( not !) it will take years of effort and controlled fires to clear away what we have allowed to pile up. I dont think our leaders have the bank account to pay the political price to do what is required. We can hold PG&E accountable, but we cant stop lightening. Coming around and over the last rise above the foothills on the way down, the entire Valley is invisible in haze. never seen this to this extent, for this long. 2008 was the last truly epic fire year and this is far worse.

Creek fire just started late yesterday
in the area of Shave lake
over 5000 acres alreay

I am up in these areas all the time. For years and years the fuel on the ground has built up to insane levels. I can't speak to the side of the 168 that it is currently on as much, but if it jumps the highway onto the other side, that whole area could be a goner. It'll spread and grow at an insane pace. There are probably a ton of people up in that area camping this weekend. I was also up there Memorial Day weekend and the people everywhere was like I have never seen before. I hope that they are able to notify campers, 4x4ers, etc. that got in Friday before the fire started. Can't imagine they can't smell it or see smoke but still.

Fuck the Sierra Club and others like them .

we didn't have as many large fires in the forested areas as we do now. but most of the large fires currently burning and the largest ones in CA history are not is areas that where logging ever has occured

We have one going right now in San Diego county. It's almost all brush, nothing worth logging.

how recent is that map? scanner had people trapped at the windy point boat launch way up at mammoth pool

that map isn’t very current. Shit is bad, people sheltering in the water at mammoth pool. It might make it to bass lake before too long.

00E54EE9-58EC-45D7-8D49-411EA1987910.jpeg

how recent is that map? scanner had people trapped at the windy point boat launch way up at mammoth pool

that map is from the Terra, Aqua and Viirs satellites that map thermal images of the earth
they are hours old when they get uploaded
if you look at the time stamp for terra it is 13:30 MDT on 9/5
so 12:30 Pacific today

Wow, crazy. There are officially more houses destroyed in Santa Cruz then in the 89 earthquake.

I need to head back up there in the next couple days but am not ready for all the leaking my eyes will be doing seeing the destruction.

…. But one can not help but wonder how much more there is to burn in this state.

here is a map I made showing all fires for the last 20 years (does not have current year)
so there is a lot left to burn... and in time it will

CA20 year history_001.jpg

satellites just updated and it has grown a lot
winds are out of the south, southwest
put an overlay of recent fires as the burn scars can help slow it down

Creek fire 2_001.jpg

Yeah that is what I noticed. Good luck these get out of hand real quick. You are undoubtedly paying real close attention but have a plan ready. Good luck.

Cal4 has their high Sierra Poker Run this weekend as well

An operation is also underway to evacuate a group of people participating in an off-highway vehicle poker run near Bald Mountain.

"So we have an off-highway vehicle team that we've called out to go back and assist forest service in evacuating the people that are back there for the poker run," Hamilton said.

I doubt it was lightening as it's been clear all day.

A bit north in the Temecula area it has been on the verge of thunder storm clouds moving across most of the day. No lightning, but the dark clouds we always get this time of year.

Just let the whole place burn to the ground. Every year same thing. Either figure it out or let it Burn.

At worst if will fall in to the the water and put it self out. Seems easy enough.

Top Back Refresh