What's new

Calif Fires

Keep in mind as was mentioned by Jelf during other fires.
the heat signatures from the satellites can be off in multiple directions.
the heat source will generally fall in the larger red circle which is 1Km for terra and auqa and 375m for viirs
also the heat source does not need to be on the ground, in very hot and large fires it can be picking up heat from the smoke plum itself.

...gotcha

This morning's report was over 73,000 acres with still, zero containment. Haven't looked for an update since. This is high elevation and some dry timber. Scattered sugar pines and cedars over 150' tall allow for rapid topping to speed the leading edges in whichever direction the wind takes it. When it overcame Chiquito Ridge, I figure the advancement downhill to 6000' was/is inevitable. So much timber up there it's frightening to think of being there, right now. The cabin is at 6350.

SPI (Lumber company that is the largest private land owner in the state) lands are now closed all its California lands to the public now.
also got word that they are evacuating all campers from Eldorado National Forest due to very low resource levels and high fire dangers

SPI (Lumber company that is the largest private land owner in the state) lands are now closed all its California lands to the public now.
also got word that they are evacuating all campers from Eldorado National Forest due to very low resource levels and high fire dangers

They are kicking everyone out of the forests.

photo22353.jpg

Looks link long lake (manmade) on con just went up (according to the fearmongers on the net!

They are closing parts of Mt. Tam. It's the mountain just to the north of San Francisco for those who have been to SF. They did the same thing past years during October, but I dont think it's happened in September until this year.

I remeber sitting with my girlfriend at the times parents at their house above Muir woods watching a fire in the distance in the 90's. Knowing the winds, they were scared, and it was a long way off.

it's only gotten thicker with brush and NO fires have happened in those 30 years. It's a tinderbox for sure.

Looks link long lake (manmade) on con just went up (according to the fearmongers on the net!

Never heard of Long Lake :confused: Did you thumb Loon Lake or is it some lake just around the area ? Sucks in any event.

They are kicking everyone out of the forests.

almost and understandable given the current conditions
  1. Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest.
  2. Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.
  3. Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California.

Rubicon the 4x4 place in eldo....:flipoff2:
the trail that splits from springs\caddy at the graveyard is "long lake trail"

Nope, not from us

smoke coming from east of you near Omak and looks real bad
strong winds out of the north making it move fast

Its probably from Nachez as its blowing due east and is smokey as fuck currently.

EVANS CANYON
Large Incident
Selah, WA

Report Date: 08/31/2020 Latitude: 46.854 Longitude: -120.799 Fire Location: N/A Fire Size: 75817 acres (30682.0 ha) Percent Contained: Unknown Expected Containment: Not Reported Fire Type: Other Team Type: Incident Management Team - Type 2 See http://www.nifc.gov/news/sitreprt.pdf for more information

Last edited:
That map is not accurate as to what is burning. The heat maps as posted above are much more accurate.

Inciweb looks pretty dead on. 2 miles from the northwest leading edge, are where I don't want this one to go, both esri / inci are nearly identical. Esri gives me the crows flight tho. :smokin:

The black circle is where the cabins are.

Click image for larger version Name:	20200907_171525.png Views:	0 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	125489

Click image for larger version Name:	20200907_171805.png Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	125490

Inciweb looks pretty dead on. 2 miles from the northwest leading edge, are where I don't want this one to go, both esri / inci are nearly identical. Esri gives me the crows flight tho. :smokin:

The black circle is where the cabins are.

I use the Fires-Wildfire map and info app on my iPhone. It has inciweb, usfs, calfires, and a few others.

Black circle is the house we are supposed to be moving into in a two weeks.

All my tools, welder ext are in my shed and my travel trailer is there. And a brand new 20x50 steel building we just finished.

DB887326-0ACA-4AAC-B28B-063C39708DC3.jpeg

So I assume that the area inside the red line is engulfed and the red spots on the outside are separate fires that have started through embers of some other way? They show up as seperate until the large area spreads and consumes the hot spots when the map gets updated?

Just want to make sure I am interpreting it right

Top Back Refresh