What's new

Calif Fires

My house halfway between the fire at Rubicon and La Porte.

8FAA7F77-1FFA-42AC-9228-679954B892C7.jpeg

Well. Looks like I don't need to go to the con, the con is literally landing on me in my driveway. The rube, the rube, the rube is on fire. We do need water, dont let that motherfucker burn.

In conditions like these, how likely is it that a structure fire turns into a wildfire? If someone having a camp fire could do it, i imagine a house is a bit of a hazard.

The difference is that someone will most likely be able to call it in within minutes and the fire dept will be able to respond quickly as well.

WLDWUN, do you have a heat map of the bear/claremont fire? It's really not looking great for us, it's almost looking like it might follow the same path as the campfire.

The wind started coming out of the north-west earlier today. Air quality went to shit FAST, my guess would be the Fork Fire mixed in with some others

The sky looked apocalyptic at sunset. We had a lot of ash on everything outside 🙁

The wind started coming out of the north-west earlier today. Air quality went to shit FAST, my guess would be the Fork Fire mixed in with some others

The sky looked apocalyptic at sunset. We had a lot of ash on everything outside 🙁

Even here in the north bay it reminded me of the last total solar eclipse. Not really sunset, just a weird reddish glow.

Stay safe everyone. This sucks:mad3:

Im really sick of this shit, each time in the past since poe, within inches of getting burned out and last time the camp fire the shop in town and bosses house to the ground.

that was all from the Bear-Claremont fire
I can see the smoke from here and the Fork fire is only 17 miles from the house
the red dots just west of Tahoe is the Fork fire
nothing compared to whats happening up north
image is from 5PM today

smoke 5pm_001.jpg

Intense. The local fires down here aren't nearly as bad as norcal. Less timber fuel obviously. But the Santa Anas will be feisty the next 24hrs. This isn't even Santa Ana event / fire season yet, get that!

Intense. The local fires down here aren't nearly as bad as norcal. Less timber fuel obviously. But the Santa Anas will be feisty the next 24hrs. This isn't even Santa Ana event / fire season yet, get that!

All fire sucks, different beast than norcal stuff, but can be pretty bad too obviously. Winds suck, we are just in the beginning of true fire season and have already blown a ton of records it seems.

I'm moving to the pnw :flipoff2:

that was all from the Bear-Claremont fire
I can see the smoke from here and the Fork fire is only 17 miles from the house
the red dots just west of Tahoe is the Fork fire
nothing compared to whats happening up north
image is from 5PM today

Yeah... I think you are 100% correct on that! *cough*

That plume was BAD down our way 😝

I can't find an answer to my question, no matter what I type in for a search I only get either theories, formulas, or stats for total acreage burnt.

Does anyone know - what is the farthest distance, in miles, that any given wildfire has actually traveled? What is the max distance, from one point to another?
Acres only tells total area, and not specifically x miles of travel. Very curious about worst case scenarios as to how close/far one can be from a fire and still keep vigilant for potential threat of long distance spread.

This might kinda answer your question. It depends on a ton of different scenarios.

1AF1C007-D473-49A0-ADF3-DF178BB72D69.png

Like 50 miles in one day for movement of fire. That's insane but I wonder how long it could ever keep at it like that.
Is there a point at what you could tell yourself that you are 99.999% sure that a fire won't reach you if you are X miles away from it? Or does such a number not exist?

Gives me a little piece of mind.

These threads are so important in so many ways. It's awesome to hear the data right now is a breath of relief for you. It's what all of us always hope when we check threads like this. And if the news was bad, we would still be blessed to get that info right away and make preparations. All the best to you, and everyone in that area. You guys have been through enough with that Camp Fire.

We evacuated around 1am this morning are in chico with 3 trucks.

Boat 4th square body chevy and generstor on wheels are still on the property.

Holy fuck, in 5 hours it went from 1,000 Acres to 20,000 and moved 15 miles?

Aren't crown fires the worst kind since they can move so fast? We East Coasters don't have to deal with this kind of shit. I always wondered if it ever got dry enough what a fire in the Adirondacks would look like. Awful lots of towns up there with absolutely zero protection.

Stay safe out there and get the fuck out if you can. Is there anything we can do to help those affected from 3000 miles away? Serious question.

Holy fuck, in 5 hours it went from 1,000 Acres to 20,000 and moved 15 miles?

Aren't crown fires the worst kind since they can move so fast? We East Coasters don't have to deal with this kind of shit. I always wondered if it ever got dry enough what a fire in the Adirondacks would look like. Awful lots of towns up there with absolutely zero protection.

Stay safe out there and get the fuck out if you can. Is there anything we can do to help those affected from 3000 miles away? Serious question.

It went from nothing to 20k in 5 hours.

Send :beer: lots of it :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh