What's new

Calif Fires

Yeah that would suck bit the idea did make me laugh pretty good. Hopefully you guys were able to get insurance at the new place?

I'm moving to the pnw :flipoff2:

Do people live in the fire hazard areas without any insurance :eek::eek:

Out of interest, is fire insurance horrifically expensive?After a claim will they still sell you coverage? Or is the gist, your house burned down, we wont insure you anymore, rebuild it them move to a different place.

For those that aren't aware, the timber fuel issue isn't how messed up California is because they (we) can't get our act together and properly "clean up" the forests, unless you're good with 10-20% of that blame on financial / political bureaucracy, and straight up indifference to the size of the problem.

This is the Calfire take specifically with respect to the Creek Fire in the southern high Sierras. The northern Sierra range is likely right on par with it, which is where the rapidly growing forest fires take off from hundreds of acres to thousands, within short time periods.

Fkg bark beetles.

Click image for larger version Name:	20200909_012314.png Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	126868

Do people live in the fire hazard areas without any insurance :eek::eek:

Out of interest, is fire insurance horrifically expensive?After a claim will they still sell you coverage? Or is the gist, your house burned down, we wont insure you anymore, rebuild it them move to a different place.

Up untill the last 3 years, I only knew 1 person who lost their house in a fire. It's easy to figure that if you're in town, you're 99% safe. So yes, lots of people without insurance.

Most people I know are paying $5-6k/year for insurance since the camp fire. If you had a claim, they can't change your policy for at least 2 years.

We evacuated around 1am this morning are in chico with 3 trucks.

Boat 4th square body chevy and generstor on wheels are still on the property.

stay safe everyone there

looks like it made it already to the Camp fire scar and to lake Oroville as well

Bear 9-9_001.jpg

For those that aren't aware, the timber fuel issue isn't how messed up California is because they (we) can't get our act together and properly "clean up" the forests, unless you're good with 10-20% of that blame on financial / political bureaucracy, and straight up indifference to the size of the problem.

This is the Calfire take specifically with respect to the Creek Fire in the southern high Sierras. The northern Sierra range is likely right on par with it, which is where the rapidly growing forest fires take off from hundreds of acres to thousands, within short time periods.

Fkg bark beetles.

They are simply explaining the fuel, they’re not mentioning the negligence from our government nor the solution that’s been around for years since the bark beetle created this issue.

If you think that Cal Fire hasn’t been warning our government of this severe fire hazard for years, you’re completely mistaken.

Piss poor management of completely dead forest is exactly to blame for all of this, period. When pg&e had the fires start, Our California Governor was one of the first to point out that leaving dead trees and brush around their lines was pure neglect, but when they do it, they’re not to blame:homer:

We evacuated around 1am this morning are in chico with 3 trucks.

Boat 4th square body chevy and generstor on wheels are still on the property.

PAE pae
Did you self evac , or get ordered out?
I haveba bud lives on goldcone in migailia.

There is so much smoke in the air it looks like its 5:30 out not 8:30

20200909_082925.jpg

20200909_082918.jpg

I was under the impression that the bark beetle only attacked weak, dying trees.... and more trees are dying because there is more undergrowth and younger trees leaching more moisture out of the soil. They are competing for water. So essentially lack of forest management has lead to more bark beetles killing off trees. It's not like they SUDDENLY appeared out of nowhere and started killing off trees.

Am I correct in that?

I was under the impression that the bark beetle only attacked weak, dying trees.... and more trees are dying because there is more undergrowth and younger trees leaching more moisture out of the soil. They are competing for water. So essentially lack of forest management has lead to more bark beetles killing off trees. It's not like they SUDDENLY appeared out of nowhere and started killing off trees.

Am I correct in that?

You’re absolutely correct. Cal fire and countless other organizations have been warning of this for years and our local government has failed us completely.

Now, they’re doing the Usual and refusing to take any accountability and blaming bark beetle, climate change, global warming, or whatever else it takes for the idiots to look the other way.

Cal fire and countless other organizations have been warning of this for years and our local government has failed us completely.

you do realize, that Calfire IS the government as well.

to many people want to be able to blame a person or group as to why these fires get so big.
yes some habits and policies in the past have not helped the situation. but the main reason is bigger than that
its very dry
its hot
its windy
and fire will burn fast no matter what was done

Any links or photos to the latest heat maps near Paradise/Magalia?

I'm hearing a ton of different reports on this bear/whatever fire. Heard a rumor it was at pentz on the edge of town. Heard it was at hwy 70 and Clark road. I can't get the map to work, it's probably overloaded.

I have yet to see any flames from the feather River canyon or the hwy 70 Bridge (@ 430) winds do seem like they are not in our favor in paradise/magalia. Haven't heard much about Oroville either.

If anyone has friends or family in the area who they can't get ahold of, let me know and I can try to drop by.

Jeff
530 592 6033

Didn't you have an elderly family member in magalia? Have you been able to get a hold of her?

She actually passed a couple of months after the fire, failing health and displaced didn't help. MIL lives up there but works in Roseville during the week. Just sent you a text. How imminent is the fire to Magalia right now? I don't want to be in the way, but if I can run up and grab some documents and keepsakes I'd like to try.

Last edited:
you do realize, that Calfire IS the government as well.

to many people want to be able to blame a person or group as to why these fires get so big.
yes some habits and policies in the past have not helped the situation. but the main reason is bigger than that
its very dry
its hot
its windy
and fire will burn fast no matter what was done

What does cal fire being a government entity have to do with it? They don’t decide how much money they get and what strict environmental rules are put in place.

This entire situation is a direct result of poor and mismanagement. There is a reason that it’s Been getting worse over the past 30 years and warnings back then were given that this would be the end result.

We’ve had dry, windy summers forever, but we used to do countless controlled burns, performed logging and overall took care of our surroundings.

A bunch of regulations were set into place to lower pollution and save things such as the spotted owl. In turn, we’ve destroyed their environment, killed millions of animals and look out your window at the amazing lack of pollution :lmao:

What does cal fire being a government entity have to do with it? They don’t decide how much money they get and what strict environmental rules are put in place.

This entire situation is a direct result of poor and mismanagement. There is a reason that it’s Been getting worse over the past 30 years and warnings back then were given that this would be the end result.

We’ve had dry, windy summers forever, but we used to do countless controlled burns, performed logging and overall took care of our surroundings.

A bunch of regulations were set into place to lower pollution and save things such as the spotted owl. In turn, we’ve destroyed their environment, killed millions of animals and look out your window at the amazing lack of pollution :lmao:

Shut the fuck up

cant get into SARTopo for the evac maps for the area but here is the latest I can find

Current Situation: (as of 10:50 a.m.)

10:50 a.m.
Yuba County
New Voluntary Evacuation Advisory: Due to ongoing threat from nearby fires, Yuba County Sheriff Department is now calling for a voluntary evacuation of the Oregon House/Dobbins region that is north of Marysville Rd between French Town Rd to the west, Indiana Ranch Rd to the east and Forsythe Rd to the north. Code Red Alerts are going out to the region pictured below. All other evacuation orders in the region remain in place. Evacuate to Marysville Rd southbound to Marysville. Evacuee staging area at Yuba Sutter Fairgrounds, Franklin and Garden Hwy, Yuba City

10:00 a.m.
Butte CountyEVACUATION WARNING - FROM THE TOWN OF PARADISE
An Evacuation Warning has been issued for Paradise Zone 14, east of Pentz Rd. Evacuation warnings have been issued for the Concow area. Cal Fire is closely monitoring Pentz Rd. for spot fires. Please be aware of dark intersections due to the current PSPS. Treat dark intersections as a 4-way stop.

So we’re not allowed to talk about why this is going on?

Please feel free to start a thread on that discussion, lets us this one for current information

Last edited:
WLDWUN thank you. Is 805 a good freq to monitor? Unfortunately, no power for inet and I have to walk up the hill for phone service.

the 805 will be good to talk with people that are in the area there. people like John and Frank will have the most up to date info
Power just came back on in Pollock Pines 5 in ago

this came out about an hour ago on the fire
  • Fire Size / Containment: 2,500 acres, 0%-containment - **Acreage is an estimate only; perimeter mapping is in progress**
  • Overnight Fire behavior:There was active fire behavior on the Fork Fire last night with moderate to rapid rates of spread; the fire has spotted into the Rubicon drainage.
  • Resources: 5 engines, 1 dozer, 2 hand crews, 2 water tenders - **Includes resources added since the IAP was published.**
  • Critical resource needs: Type 1 / Type 2crews, dozers, and engines; also Overhead until incoming Incident Management Team takes command.
  • Planned actions / priorities: Full suppression strategy with confine/contain tactics; minimize fire spread within Rubicon River drainage; protect communities of Volcanoville, Quintet, Stumpy Meadows and Georgetown; protect private timber sales; protect critical hydroelectric infrastructure and a critical high voltage KV line that provides power to the Sacramento region.
  • Injuries: 0
  • Evacuations: El Dorado County Sheriff's Office issued a mandatory evacuation for Volcanoeville, Quintet and Stumpy Meadows last night, affecting approximately 600 residents; an evacuation service center has been set up at the Cool Community Church at 863 Cave Valley Rd. in Cool, CA. **Please note, the community of Georgetown is NOT under the evacuation order at this time.**
  • Power Shutoff: a power outage affecting the fire area is also causing safety concerns; infrastructure inspections and power restoration where possible will be in progress today
  • Road Closures: check forest websites for Eldorado NF and Tahoe NF
  • Weather:[*=1]excessive heat, low RH, and changing pressure gradient[*=1]Dry, offshore winds with critical fire weather through Wednesday evening[*=1]Red Flag Warning in effect [*=1]Wind Advisory in effect for the northeast foothills[*=1]Smoky conditions across the region due to multiple large wildfires
  • Other pertinent info: a Type 2 Incident Management Team is enroute; minimal resources are available for the next 48 hrs / operational period; other large fires in the geographical area are causing strain on federal, state, and local government resources.

Top Back Refresh