What's new

Calif Fires

Black circle is the house we are supposed to be moving into in a two weeks.

All my tools, welder ext are in my shed and my travel trailer is there. And a brand new 20x50 steel building we just finished.

Good thought coming your way Tom. Hoping for the best for you. As well as everyone else. Fire sucks.

So I assume that the area inside the red line is engulfed and the red spots on the outside are separate fires that have started through embers of some other way? They show up as seperate until the large area spreads and consumes the hot spots when the map gets updated?

Just want to make sure I am interpreting it right

Not sure which map you are referring to
most likely the red line is the mapped fire boundary, that will be the area confirmed that the fire has spread to.
the red dots, are from satellite imagines that pick up heat signatures, they can be off by location on the ground as well as can be picking up heat that is even above the ground in the smoke plume. they are a good indication of where the fire boundary will be most likely moving to.

Not sure which map you are referring to
most likely the red line is the mapped fire boundary, that will be the area confirmed that the fire has spread to.
the red dots, are from satellite imagines that pick up heat signatures, they can be off by location on the ground as well as can be picking up heat that is even above the ground in the smoke plume. they are a good indication of where the fire boundary will be most likely moving to.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Thats what I assumed, I justed wanted to make sure I was correct mostly about the heat signatures as I noticed that they each have a percentage of confidence if you click them, I assume to whether they are a fire starting vs. a plume or something as you said.

Thanks for the offers. Just a waiting game. If it gets close enough I’ll grab stuff and go. Wife and baby will stay in the condo in lakeside out of harms way. Nothing is up there that can’t be replaced. We have a 2” trash pump, 2 10k gallon water tanks, one hydrant and several generators. Just don’t want to get to that point.

There are a lot of people whom can’t afford the crazy cost of fire insurance out here. And a lot of independent stubborn old people. One of the guys that works for me lives on carvacre. It’s under evacuation orders but he won’t leave since they won’t let him back.

Corral Canyon is just to the right on that map. One of the few good off-road spots in East county San Diego. :barf:

Last edited:
17,345 acres - 3% contained on the Valley Fire as updated this evening. Hope they protect homes from the coming predicted winds!

nothing good going on today
wind is picking up and power is off till tomorrow night

August complex looks like it will merge with the Elkhorn fire today.
that will be over 400K acers and growing

Creek fire was listed yesterday at over 135K
wind shows it moving a lot to the south

Last edited:
Creek fire
145K acres

Extreme, Crowning, wind driven runs Long range spotting. The fire continues to grow under extreme conditions. The fire has had strong winds with upper level winds from the northwest and variable lower level winds. The fire continued to grow in all directions with large increases to the south and east. The progression has threatened new communities in the foothills, especially with the winds predicted for today. Extreme fire behavior is still being observed with the critical fuels and weather. Evacuations and Road Closures. Hwy 168 is closed

Im not trying to be inconsiderate of whats going on over there, but with all of these giant fires this year and previous years, how much more is there to burn? After an area burns, how long til vegetation grows back enough to burn again?

Im not trying to be inconsiderate of whats going on over there, but with all of these giant fires this year and previous years, how much more is there to burn? After an area burns, how long til vegetation grows back enough to burn again?

If I were to take a wild guess 1-2% is burnt. You can pretty much drive anywhere in the state that isnt desert and see a forest fire waiting to happen and relatively very little that has burned in the last 10 years.

What I've noticed is 5-10 years after the fires there are dead trees all dried out everywhere and the brush has gone crazy due to all the new sunlight, making it look like a potential worse situation.

If I were to take a wild guess 1-2% is burnt. You can pretty much drive anywhere in the state that isnt desert and see a forest fire waiting to happen and relatively very little that has burned in the last 10 years.

What I've noticed is 5-10 years after the fires there are dead trees all dried out everywhere and the brush has gone crazy due to all the new sunlight, making it look like a potential worse situation.

I would say the percentage is a big higher for the last 20 years
very true that 5 years after a fire the brush gets out of control and is a worse situation

here is the fires for the last 20 years, not including this year which will exceed the highest year of 1.5 million acres
average is 720K acres per year

Click image for larger version Name:	CA20 year history_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.6 KB ID:	126044

Last edited:
Air support is pulled because of poor visibility and turbulence. 100 acres at so far,CP is airport flat. Alot of chatter on the 805.

Worry about your own area for the next several days. Single digit humidity and 15-30 MPH winds make a tinderbox. Fingers crossed the holiday campers don't start a fire so their crotch goblins can have a smore.

Man, you called that one.... Sumner and Graham were on fire this morning.... too close!!!!
Couldn’t imagine living in Cali during this!!!

lots of engines heading up the hill
not a good day

looks like it started between 10:30 and 11am

Not a lightening strike eh ? Fuck this is bad and getting worse. Anyone heard from Trampas ??

Not a lightening strike eh ? Fuck this is bad and getting worse. Anyone heard from Trampas ??

He and I were texting yesterday afternoon. Sent him one today asking how close the fires are to him. Have not heard back yet. Will post up if/when I do

structure fire just down the road from here
confined to one building at this time
most likely generator fire due to power outage

I can't find an answer to my question, no matter what I type in for a search I only get either theories, formulas, or stats for total acreage burnt.

Does anyone know - what is the farthest distance, in miles, that any given wildfire has actually traveled? What is the max distance, from one point to another?
Acres only tells total area, and not specifically x miles of travel. Very curious about worst case scenarios as to how close/far one can be from a fire and still keep vigilant for potential threat of long distance spread.

If you need anything, post up. Willing to travel to help you out. I'm about 1.5 - 2 hours from you. Got a shitbox with a hitch and can pull up to 4,000 pound trailer...

In conditions like these, how likely is it that a structure fire turns into a wildfire? If someone having a camp fire could do it, i imagine a house is a bit of a hazard.

Thank you all for the offers

we are all good here, fire contained to the one building.
confirmed it was a generator

Last edited:
I can't find an answer to my question, no matter what I type in for a search I only get either theories, formulas, or stats for total acreage burnt.

Does anyone know - what is the farthest distance, in miles, that any given wildfire has actually traveled? What is the max distance, from one point to another?
Acres only tells total area, and not specifically x miles of travel. Very curious about worst case scenarios as to how close/far one can be from a fire and still keep vigilant for potential threat of long distance spread.

Someone told me a year ago they didn't have to worry about fires in Nevada because they are low to the ground and spread slow
the 2018 Martin fire went 60 miles in just a couple days

I am sure the largest went well over 100 miles
Preshtigo fire was 1.2 million acres in about a day

1987 black Dragon fire was est at 18 million acres
that would be a block 100 x 281 miles

Last edited:

Not easy to find. As far as I know this was the largest and worst in the USA - eclipsed by the CA fire west of Red Bluff - https://external-content.duckduckgo...urtesy-of-Peshtigo-FIre-Museum.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

There is massive smoke plume south east of me.

Im ok still on property.

Filling tanks now.

Fire near the Rubicon. People are saying it is about a mile from airport flat.

yep, theyre calling it the Fork Fire

rubicon is closed and people are on the HAM telling people to get off the trail thru tahoe

wind is blowing west for now

Top Back Refresh