What's new

Calif Fires

Does she need help? I'm about an hour away. Quincy doesn't exactly have a ton of escape routes...

Thanks for the assistance. Mom will be okay. She spent 24 years as a smoke jumper with the USFS. Once she couldn't pass the physical, she was an on scene commander.

I will let you know if she needs anything.

This is not a request.

Having dealt with all the norcal fires in the last couple years, TELL him he needs to let us know what he/his need. Otherwise he will end up with a bunch of crap he is grateful for but cant use.

If anyone can get shit up to the central valley I can get it up north on my pussy 7k trailer.

Got it, I'll tell him when I talk to him next. I haven't been able to get ahold of him in the last couple hours.

Thanks. Its going to take time to get a handle with the loss and trauma that comes with it.

Patience has been lost in the last couple decades and everyone wants immediate solutions and answers.

Reacting to a problem is great, but not an actual solution, and is not always a great idea and use of resources. This(and the old place) had a tendency to react with out knowing needs.

I think at this point, we need another "needs" thread like on the old place. I wish I had the time for one, soliciting applications. Hint hint.

you all can tell me to fuck off now,:laughing:

I remember some thunder in 09 or 10 that was like 5 levels up from what I thought was loud, like actually shook things. Sounded like a truck fell from the sky onto the house.

this sounded and felt like a bomb went off, it was trippy experiencing something you never have before, woke me up instantly :laughing:

A fire just broke out in alta sierra 20 min ago. From powerlines supposedly

When the first fire broke out here, there was a ton of chatter on the public radio channels about lines down...power lines down...oh, well it might be phone lines...pge on the way to verify...no fire found searching surrounding properties. Oh there may be power lines down further down the street, there is for sure a tree on the road...

none of them near the actual fire that started, all on the ridge that gets high winds year round

At this point I dont trust a report unless I hear it first hand and or see it myself. YMMV

this sounded and felt like a bomb went off, it was trippy experiencing something you never have before, woke me up instantly :laughing:

I was up late working in the garage. It had been hot all day and it was clear out- I could see the stars. I was walking to my back door when I saw a flash off to the southwest. I thought there's no way it could be lightening, it's hot and dry, but as I turned to look, five or six more flashes light up the horizon. I've traveled all over and been in some pretty ripping thunderstorms (Costa Rica and Florida had some awesome displays), but I had never seen lightening as frequent and rapid as that night. It was like someone was firing off a lightening machine gun and just holding down the trigger. I thought right then that something was going to catch on fire. But I figured it would be Big Sur again and not right across the river.

I love lightening storms, but I hope I don't ever have to sit through one like that again.

He lives in Boulder Creek. The lumber yard he works at is gone too apparently.

As of 4pm the lumberyard was still there with no signs of fire near it (with my own eyes) and to my knowledge is still fine. There is a ton of misinformation out but I dont believe the fire has crossed 9.

Any idea of his address? I was all over today and am very familiar with the area.

Good lookin out, 2BB. Are you ok?
Harry, that sounds awesome and scary at the same time. Glad you guys are good. You are, right?

For all of the guys who used to wheel up in Mix Canyon at Bob Gietzen's place, his house burned too.

He heard his neighbor come screaming down the road in his truck and looked to see what all the commotion was about. Apparently he was tearing down the road with his truck on fire, so Bob figured it was a good time to head down the hill too. Pretty much wiped out most everything up in the canyons. Bummer for Bob, he's a super guy.

Another friend had to bail out of the canyon and couldn't see the road due to the smoke and his truck went off and over the edge. He scrambled back up to the road and got into his wife's car which was following him. They had to drive out through the flames. So many houses have burned. Crazy.

__

Visitor station at big basin... all buildings gone

Screenshot_20200821-021032_Facebook.jpg

Good lookin out, 2BB. Are you ok?
Harry, that sounds awesome and scary at the same time. Glad you guys are good. You are, right?

I'm good but tired. Worked 15 hrs last night, spent all day at the fires, got 3 hrs sleep (which was amazing) and back at work now. Probably headed back to the fires when I get off in the morning

As of 4pm the lumberyard was still there with no signs of fire near it (with my own eyes) and to my knowledge is still fine. There is a ton of misinformation out but I dont believe the fire has crossed 9.

Any idea of his address? I was all over today and am very familiar with the area.

I'll find out today.

Well, I hate to see this Cali. But your smoke signals have made it to the center of the continent.
20200821_070708.jpg

as of last night the LNU, SCU and CZU fire complexes total over 425,000 acres :eek:

and the largest containment is only 7%

Damn, I was thinking about Bob...
His house was dokey cart'd from frisco more that 100 years ago (iirc) the story he told.
Hell of a guy.

My crew was on gold lake 7 aug- we got one flash dead in camp.. microseconds later the report, the one raincloud opened up less than a minute later on us.

Last edited:
Just found out a very good friend is now evacuated from the MOC fire in Mariposa County, southwest of Groveland CA

Click image for larger version  Name:	Moc fire_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.5 KB ID:	109375

Last edited:
all the large tankers (DC10 and 747)
TNKR911
TNKR912
GST944
are working out of McClean and dropping west of Healdsburg right now

all the large tankers (DC10 and 747)
TNKR911
TNKR912
GST944
are working out of McClean and dropping west of Healdsburg right now

I have video of a couple prop planes filling up in Tomales Bay. Does anyone know how to post a .3gp file. It keeps telling me it won't work.

You may need to upload it somewhere, then you can wrap the link with [*video] ... [/video*] and it might* (remove the asterisks) work.

You may need to upload it somewhere, then you can wrap the link with [*video] ... [/video*] and it might* (remove the asterisks) work.

I dont have any hosting, I'll send it to you and anyone else who may be able to help. Honestly one of the coolest videos I've seen in a while.

nothing good in the forecast
this is for the bay area but others go all the way into Oregon

...FIRE WEATHER WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
TUESDAY MORNING FOR DRY LIGHTNING FOR FIRE WEATHER ZONES 006...
505...506...507...508...509...510...511...512...51 3...516...517...
518...528...529 AND 530...
The National Weather Service in San Francisco has issued a Fire
Weather Watch...which is in effect from Sunday morning through
Tuesday morning.

* AFFECTED AREA...Entire San Francisco Bay Area and Central Coast.
Areas of highest concern will be included in future updates.

* WIND...Generally light onshore winds. However, erratic gusty
winds 40 to 65 mph may accompany stronger thunderstorms.

* THUNDERSTORMS...Isolated to scattered dry thunderstorms will
develop Sunday afternoon and into Monday morning. An additional
round of thunderstorms are expected to arrive later Monday into
Tuesday. Dry thunderstorms may become wet as the event
progresses.

* IMPACTS...Lightning will likely spark new fires across the
region,
including remote areas. Wildfires in remote regions may
not become apparent until warmer and drier conditions allow them
to grow. Please report potential fires to local CALFIRE or
SHERIFF offices.

Top Back Refresh