What's new

Big Dumb Loads

I have a stop sign a couple miles from the house. It’s on a small grade, going right is a bit steeper. Well at 5. Am yesterday I ease up to the stop sign and notice the big pile of concrete that makes a right and heads up the hill. Left a pretty good trail, must have been real full.

And I hope that truck driver chucked in a bag of sugar before that dick head cop had him shut it down.

Like i said, batch plant knew before the truck ever left that it was 18k overweight.

Driver isn't going to loose his job for refusing the load so he takes off.

Yes, but as a driver, you take responsibility as soon as you go on the road, especially cdl shit. If you work somewhere that is constantly asking you to do illegal shit, you need to find a new job.

18 K over is nothing, all he needed was a permit, then magically the roads would’ve been so much stronger. The brakes would’ve worked 18 K betterer.

I once loaded a truck to 26k gvw then added 26k more :lmao: it was FINE! :flipoff2:

Although the roads being wet may have kept the rear tires from melting, every time I stopped they dried in seconds.

You can't get a permit for a reducable load like concrete or gravel.

I've never hear the argument about the road not handling extra wieght, just that the truck isn't rated for it.

Yes, but as a driver, you take responsibility as soon as you go on the road, especially cdl shit. If you work somewhere that is constantly asking you to do illegal shit, you need to find a new job.

I've never hear the argument about the road not handling extra wieght, just that the truck isn't rated for it.
From the article
After police stopped the truck, they found it to be loaded with 10 yards of concrete without an overweight permit.

Yet, considering how the article thinks 18,000 is tens of thousands of pounds. They were probably pulling the permit comment out of their ass.

Sorta but even the local major quarrys will load heavy headed to my house since they know there arnt any scales. They will usually send me a 25ton transfer load

Your California moral code is showing. :flipoff2:

Surely you don't expect the driver to take a stand and risk losing his job over something that the truck is literally rated to do.

Was just responding to people saying you can't blame the driver. But you can, that's how it works, the driver gets the ticket.

From the article

Yet, considering how the article thinks 18,000 is tens of thousands of pounds. They were probably pulling the permit comment out of their ass.

Something is fucky, because 10 yards is about normal for a concrete truck, but 18k is like 4.5 yards.

Unless it was a wieght restricted road?

Well then you're uninformed. It's basically never about the trucks. It's always about axle loading, bridge loading, road wear, etc.

I guess it's both. They want more axles on the ground to spread the load out, but also more sets of tires and brakes for the safetys.

Sorta but even the local major quarrys will load heavy headed to my house since they know there arnt any scales. They will usually send me a 25ton transfer load

Ya, a little heavy, but not 9t extra in a 3 axle truck.

25T is only 50,000, not that much weight for a eighteen-wheeler now on 3 axle ten wheeler it's a bit much.

25T is only 50,000, not that much weight for a eighteen-wheeler now on 3 axle ten wheeler it's a bit much.

CA is pretty limited. 80k lbs max, plus you need to spread the load out over a certain distance and I can't remember if you can even legally hit that in a typical truck and transfer.

Iirc, they're supposed to haul about 10t in each box, so roughly 2.5t extra per box is what he's getting.

Meanwhile up here we haul around 20t in a dump with 2 tags and I believe the guys with 3 tags and a rear strong arm can haul 25t

I've heard both. I think most people "in the business" will know what you mean if you say 2 axle or single axle, but I'm guessing most that aren't will picture a single screw when you say 2 axle?
I like that term of twin screw or single, sometimes you get the blank stare and you have to dumb it down to live axle. lol

IMG_8386.jpeg
IMG_8387.jpeg
May be big and dumb, but surprisingly neither are dragging ass like you would expect.

It seems like if you have a tow truck there is no permit requirement weight restrictions whatsoever.

There is weight restrictions just like normal trucks,same rules apply,however there is a clause with wreckers that those rules kinda dont apply "when working a accident or removing vehicles from roadway". In essence it means if you respond to a wreck and need to tow something that's legally too heavy for you to tow they are gonna look other way so that road gets back open, usually has a clause added that says you can tow. To nearest repair center kinda deal. Our line of work includes specialized trucks so we can claim that "normal" truck shops cant work on them so we have to tow them over several states back to home shop.
Most of the time dot dont ask too many questions of tow truck if you are somewhat close to home. I run two heavy wreckers at work and have never been asked a single question from dot at scales or roadsides, and know for a fact im over on axles. Almost never even get a paper check they just wave me thru.

It just seems that you could overload the shit out of a truck, driving it would be wrong, but towing it would be just fine.

I once loaded a truck to 26k gvw then added 26k more :lmao: it was FINE! :flipoff2:

Although the roads being wet may have kept the rear tires from melting, every time I stopped they dried in seconds.
What's the story behind that? :laughing:

There is weight restrictions just like normal trucks,same rules apply,however there is a clause with wreckers that those rules kinda dont apply "when working a accident or removing vehicles from roadway". In essence it means if you respond to a wreck and need to tow something that's legally too heavy for you to tow they are gonna look other way so that road gets back open, usually has a clause added that says you can tow. To nearest repair center kinda deal. Our line of work includes specialized trucks so we can claim that "normal" truck shops cant work on them so we have to tow them over several states back to home shop.
Most of the time dot dont ask too many questions of tow truck if you are somewhat close to home. I run two heavy wreckers at work and have never been asked a single question from dot at scales or roadsides, and know for a fact im over on axles. Almost never even get a paper check they just wave me thru.
Funny how fast they get lazy/ complacent when you give them enough paperwork to do...

or a single drive with a dead axle behind that

ETA: whoops thought you were quoting fjc11 above
DOT considers an axel an axel whether it's live or not, not hard to understand their reasoning when the purpose is just about weight and how much they can steal from you when you exceed their limits.

Reactions: Clb
It just seems that you could overload the shit out of a truck, driving it would be wrong, but towing it would be just fine.

Funny how fast they get lazy/ complacent when you give them enough paperwork to do...
even funnier is i had a buddy who used to run a 30 ton wrecker full time,he did it for probably 10 yrs,whole time he never had a cdl, first tow clause allowed him to still drive, long as they couldnt prove that he ever unhooked truck and re hooked it to take someolace else.

Reactions: Clb
Top Back Refresh