What's new

Big Dumb Loads

Don't see any. Didn't many semis not have front brakes until relatively recently?
My impression was that they mandated them as part of the bullshit homogenization and federalization of shit in the 70s but they were common long before that, like 50s.

Easy way to tell on a Dayton equipped truck is that the old ones without brakes will have the smooth clean looking hubs with little to no web between the spokes. They grew big webs between the spokes to bolt the drums on.

No brakes:
E4519.JPG
post-64-12685406444578.jpg

Brakes.
9811643-1960-dodge-truck-std-c.jpg
73fe223296c42d56e5d1a3e23eabe421.jpg

I wish I had looked for something like that has a wheel that sticks way the fuck out like that GM when I did that trailer axle because that would make a huge difference on brake fitment.

Last edited:
Not sure, a friend sent me the pics which someone sent to him.

Time and materials probably be ahead to have bought those cheap yard tractor trailers Lowes sells.
It'd at least make it more than a few hundred feet.
6x 2x4 at $5ea

4x wheel at $12ea

1x 4x4 at $7

1x plywood at $20

1x coupler at $15

I pulled those numbers out of my ass but they're probably reasonably close. You can't touch a cheapo HF style trailer for less than 3x what that cost.

That said' he'd have been time and money ahead to slice and dice up some 2x4s to match the roof curve and then throw the plywood sheet and perimeter frame on top of that and strap the totes to his new roof deck.

6x 2x4 at $5ea

4x wheel at $12ea

1x 4x4 at $7

1x plywood at $20

1x coupler at $15

I pulled those numbers out of my ass but they're probably reasonably close. You can't touch a cheapo HF style trailer for less than 3x what that cost.

That said' he'd have been time and money ahead to slice and dice up some 2x4s to match the roof curve and then throw the plywood sheet and perimeter frame on top of that and strap the totes to his new roof deck.
and it would have been free compared to what he paid for that trailer to take that ride,

Time and materials probably be ahead to have bought those cheap yard tractor trailers Lowes sells.
It'd at least make it more than a few hundred feet.

Sure it’s not gonna last too long, but That’s only ~$200 total in materials (2x 4x4x6, 1x 4x6x8, a sheet of half inch ply, and 4-6 2x4x93 = ~$75, and $75 in HF 10 in caster wheels, and a $16 trailer coupler ,plus all fastening hardware )

The HF 48x96 erector-set trailer is $520 and you still have to buy a sheet of half inch ply to deck it.

The use of swivel casters in combination with the fixed casters outboard is a bit of a head scratcher though.

Last edited:
6x 2x4 at $5ea

4x wheel at $12ea

1x 4x4 at $7

1x plywood at $20

1x coupler at $15

You missed the 4x6 ‘axle’ / caster mount and the caster estimate is a bit low :flipoff2: :laughing: ;

Attachments

• IMG_4610.jpeg
    IMG_4610.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 1
6x 2x4 at $5ea

4x wheel at $12ea

1x 4x4 at $7

1x plywood at $20

1x coupler at $15

Plywood is around $30 a sheet.
Sure it’s not gonna last too long, but That’s only ~$200 total in materials (2x 4x4x6, 1x 4x6x8, a sheet of half inch ply, and 4-6 2x4x93 = ~$75, and $75 in HF 10 in caster wheels, and a $16 trailer coupler ,plus all fastening hardware )

The HF 48x96 erector-set trailer is $520 and you still have to buy a sheet of half inch ply to deck it.

The use of swivel casters in combination with the fixed casters outboard is a bit of a head scratcher though.
Sure, but can sell is after. And it's actually legal on the road an will make it more than across the parking lot.

Even wheelbarrow tires would have made more sense.

It's like the body gear on the 747. Somehow I doubt the person who built the trailer had that in mind though.

My impression was that they mandated them as part of the bullshit homogenization and federalization of shit in the 70s but they were common long before that, like 50s.

Easy way to tell on a Dayton equipped truck is that the old ones without brakes will have the smooth clean looking hubs with little to no web between the spokes. They grew big webs between the spokes to bolt the drums on.

I wish I had looked for something like that has a wheel that sticks way the fuck out like that GM when I did that trailer axle because that would make a huge difference on brake fitment.
Yeah, I thought about that after I got torn apart in that 19.5 super single thread, didn’t feel like arguing with everyone though. They usually have a beam that bends a bit like a ford 2wd set up and keeps it fairly low compared to straight across

1980 tractors were required to have front brakes. Prior to that some didn’t have them. They stop like complete shit when running bobtail if there’s no front brakes
Around here back in the 80’s 90’s trucks had a knob where you could tune or disable the front brakes on logging trucks, front brakes suck in the mud……

fuckin' water cooled brakes
I was thinking water jackets and swivel couplers and shit

nope, just a tube that dribbles water in there
Legit water cooled calipers exist for rally car shit. No way in hell they dissipate nearly as much heat as a trickle of water that's going from ambient to steam.

Top Back Refresh